A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 08:26:35 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 21st and Yale  (Read 30842 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: March 09, 2007, 10:02:08 am »

Does anyone know what is going in in front of Sears at 21st and Yale?  I was over there yesterday and they have some rebar sticking up so its not just lot work.  

With some space in that lot, a new strip mall, and the space in front of the new Neighborhood Market that area has had a real nice pick up lately and more to come.

Just curious on what the latest peice was...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:19:58 am »

I thought it was a bank. I might be wrong though.
Who Cares
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 01:29:11 pm »

They are building another mini shopping center, like the one where Subway and Cricket are. The project is called Centenial crossing.
hoodlum
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 04:48:38 pm »

hopefully they raise the bar on the aesthetics of this new shopping center above that of Wal-mart and the other strip mall in front of reasors.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 04:55:32 pm »

True, while the area is getting some much needed new life - it certainly isnt anything to look at.  I guess I take solace in the fact that the enormous store fronts of Reasors, Sears, Lowes and the abandoned and empty lot that preceded walmart look better covered up with strip malls than as asphalt.  

At least they didnt tear up something pretty to put them in. [Tongue]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 05:41:17 pm »

That area died for a long time, and I am glad to see it not only coming back but with more than it ever had before.  

But there is something that baffles me...How is it that this area can support more shopping, but yet the population in the area isn't increasing?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Steve
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 10:30:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

True, while the area is getting some much needed new life - it certainly isnt anything to look at.  I guess I take solace in the fact that the enormous store fronts of Reasors, Sears, Lowes and the abandoned and empty lot that preceded walmart look better covered up with strip malls than as asphalt.  

At least they didnt tear up something pretty to put them in. [Tongue]

In my opinion, they did tear up something pretty to put in the Wal Mart Market, the Mayo Meadow Shopping Center.  What's done is done however, but it should be a lesson learned for preserving remaining mid-twentieth century Tulsa.
Steve
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 10:49:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

But there is something that baffles me...How is it that this area can support more shopping, but yet the population in the area isn't increasing?

I live at 26th & Yale.  The area around 21st & Yale is almost exclusively residential in all directions, except for the fairgrounds.  Since the Mayo Meadow Shopping Center was allowed to die by the owners and the Bud's Grocery at 32 & Yale folded, the area has been underserved by retail, given the large number of people that live close by.  I think the new development is just playing "catch up" so to speak.  Before the Reasors at 20th & Yale opened, there wasn't a decent grocery store in the 4 square miles surrounding 21st & Yale.  I would drive to Albertsons at 21st & Memorial, or to Reasors at 41st & Yale.  Now I just have to go down to the 20th & Yale Reasors, just 1/2 mile from my house.  (I will always refuse to patronize any establishment associated with Wal Mart or the Walton family/businesses.)

Some of the new retail they are building at 21st & Yale will fold and be replaced with other stores; some will survive.  (The Taco Cabana should fold; it stinks!)  I think the large residential population surrounding the intersection will support and welcome the new retail developments; they are some much needed shopping and convenience for a long underserved area.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 11:10:26 pm »

Steve, thanks for doing the right thing by boycotting Wal-Mart. For the blogging public, if you bank with Arvest, you bank with Wal-Mart.

Man, I wish we had Costco here.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
inteller
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 07:12:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

For the blogging public, if you bank with Arvest, you bank with Wal-Mart.

no you don't.  that is such a myth.  SOME of the Waltons have ownership in Arvest, but Wal-Mart does NOT own Arvest.  Get your facts straight before posting bull****.
inteller
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 08:45:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

For the blogging public, if you bank with Arvest, you bank with Wal-Mart.

no you don't.  that is such a myth.  SOME of the Waltons have ownership in Arvest, but Wal-Mart does NOT own Arvest.  Get your facts straight before posting bull****.

Technically you are correct.  The Walton family owns Wal Mart, and "Arvest" is the bank holding company/financial business also owned by the Walton family which controls the Arvest banks in Tulsa.  Wal Mart does not own Arvest, but they are both companies owned and/or controlled by the Walton family.  And that being the case, I refuse to patronize either.

But we digress...the topic is 21st & Yale development.

only two waltons are even on the board of wal-mart.  i think its hilarious (sad really) that you would not patronize two businesses because they are successful.  especially Arvest.  You are so anti-mega corp, yet there are MANY banks bigger than Arvest.  Hell you probably bank at Chase or Bank of America.  Wal-mart bashers really make me laugh.  Arvest bashers just make me shake my head in disbelief.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 09:25:47 pm »

Well one of those is the chairman and he is the son of Sam Walton. I left arvest because they consistently changed my account terms and fees. Over the course of a few month, my free checking (with interst) account with no minimum balance got a $1,000 minimum balance or $15 monthly fee and no longer earned interest.

No point in hanging around. I left bank of oklahoma for closing an active account due to a paperwork issue and causing dozens of checks to bounce. I can go on with many other banks.

While I don't avoid arvest because of the Waltons, it's definitely not a reason TO go with arvest.
inteller
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 09:56:59 pm »

oh, I bet you think Bank of Oklahoma is just a little local bank and not near as evil as big ole Arvest.

BoK is a conglomerate that just goes by different names in different states.

http://www.bankofarkansas.com/  oh wow look at that!

wait a minute, here's this:  http://www.bankoftexas.com/

and look at this!  http://www.bankofarizona.com/

i could go on and on.  I think it is stupid to be "anti-big corp" and then patron an even bigger conglomerate.

you all complain about  "oh big evil bank changed my terms, took away my free checking, etc etc"  its called Times Are Good, and they dont need customers, so they can get away with it.  When times get bad again soon, all the free checking dels will come back.  all banks are the same....they are all big evil places run by people like the Waltons.

I hear they are calling for a SMUG alert all next week over 21st/Yale and surrounding areas.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 10:01:04 pm »

BTW, inteller, you being such a big fan of taxes and all, you should be real happy with your buddy Don Walker of Arvest who serves as the public spokesperson and fundraiser for the group Citizens for Tulsa that funds the all the campaigns for tax increases in Tulsa.

Arvest=WalMart, period.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
flybriz
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 11:22:06 am »

Unless I was misinformed by a South Park episode I saw not long ago, NO ONE owns Wal-Mart.  Wal-Mart is a life force of its own, capable of thinking, controlling, and spontaneously rebuilding itself if damaged or destroyed.  The "heart" is somewhere near the electronics section.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org