A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 05:33:26 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayor's Staff Pay Raises  (Read 9510 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 09:48:15 am »

The best way to judge pay scale is not to compare it to the rest of the country or any other job, it is to ask

"How many qualified people are willing to do the job in this location for this pay."

In some cases the salary seems ridiculously small because there is a huge pool of people that can and will do the job (WalMart checker).  In other instances the salary seems high because people are either unwilling (crab fishermen, 3rd shift premiums) or unable (experience lawyer, professional athlete, pipe welder).  Obviously there are some anomalies created by unions (long shore men), government interference, or a boom/bust in that industry, but generally, that's all there is to it.

So if there is a huge number of people that are willing and able to do a job - the pay is probably too high or something is interfering with the market.  An employer wants to see 3 to 5 qualified applicants for every position.  Any less, and it is underpaid.  More, and it is likely over paid.  

The average opening for a firefighter position receives something like 150 qualified applicants.  Are people jumping away from private practice to work for the mayor?  That determines to me if they are over paid.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 11:26:54 am »

Public service is noble.  It also is full of cronyism and corruption.  I get that there has to be some incentive to attract well-qualified people to fill staff and administrative positions.

It's certainly altruistic that Ms. Taylor spent what, about $1.2 mil for a $105K/yr. job for which she's taking no pay the first year.  I'm sure she could be making more somewhere else as a corporate attorney or as a corporate officer.  

However, it's essentially her alone who is deciding the merits of pay raises mostly for people who have been collegues, friends, and suppporters over the years, with our tax dollars.  I get the fact this happens in other cities, at state capitals, and in D.C. by both  Republican and Democratic administrations.  

My issue is, these people have not even been on the job a full year, and some for as little as four or five months.  Okay, so Mayor Kathy isn't taking salary this year, what about next year?  Seems like we might have a more top-heavy pay in the administration of Ms. Taylor than Mr. LaFortune or other previous mayoral staffs and confiscating county facilities to help pay for her largesse.

And, BTW, what has our $105K per year economic development director done for us?  Last thing I heard about him was when he was hired.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 11:57:55 am »

Himelfarb is one of the few employees in the Da Mares administration that I think is a good hand and earns his keep.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

If that is the case, perhaps they need a better PR person at City Hall to let the rest of us know Himelfarb is doing anything substantive.  

Only thing I've caught recently was the irony of 200 car rental jobs being outsourced to Ft. Lauderdale and the Phillipines.  I understand that was a corporate decision and corporations are free to do as they see fit with where jobs are located.  Still, given the background of the mayor and E.D.D., that's pretty good irony.

Wouldn't surprise me if Lobeck quietly owns a share of the company to which jobs were out-sourced  since he has digs in Broward County.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 08:52:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

If that is the case, perhaps they need a better PR person at City Hall to let the rest of us know Himelfarb is doing anything substantive.  

Only thing I've caught recently was the irony of 200 car rental jobs being outsourced to Ft. Lauderdale and the Phillipines.  I understand that was a corporate decision and corporations are free to do as they see fit with where jobs are located.  Still, given the background of the mayor and E.D.D., that's pretty good irony.

Wouldn't surprise me if Lobeck quietly owns a share of the company to which jobs were out-sourced  since he has digs in Broward County.

You need to read the local papers. Not a week goes by where Himelfarb isn't mentioned at least once or twice.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 09:08:59 pm »

Don't get me wrong, the outsourcing bothers me, too. Of the proposals he's made, I find myself agreeing with him more often than not, that's all. That and he's seems to be keeping an open mind, really listening to all the ideas on the table an evaluating them objectively. If he has any hidden agendas, he is hiding them very well.

<center>
</center>
shadows
City Father

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 03:34:47 pm »

In the amendments to the charter it reads concerning the mayor pay they are to receive ……..“per year payable as employees of the city are paid”
By the intent of the charter the mayor must be paid and to refuse the salary is not upholding the charter.   So do not be alarmed as the mayor may at some future date demand the pay.
There is no provisions made in the charter for a dollar-a-year volunteer employee therefore they will not be upholding the charter.
If the mayor wants to donate their salary, which is subject to the state statue on budgeting, then they must first accept the salary before it can be donated, even on paper.
Then also the IRS code classifies that as income subject to the 10% rule of not more than the total gross income.
 When the paper trail is followed and the 16 helpers the mayor can employ outside civil service, add the mayor salary, are we still within the budget?   If not we should amend the charter setting the mayor salary as a volunteer seeking power, holding the scepter, as a dollar-a-year person.  

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Rico
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 05:26:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by shadows

In the amendments to the charter it reads concerning the mayor pay they are to receive ��..�per year payable as employees of the city are paid�
By the intent of the charter the mayor must be paid and to refuse the salary is not upholding the charter.   So do not be alarmed as the mayor may at some future date demand the pay.
There is no provisions made in the charter for a dollar-a-year volunteer employee therefore they will not be upholding the charter.
If the mayor wants to donate their salary, which is subject to the state statue on budgeting, then they must first accept the salary before it can be donated, even on paper.
Then also the IRS code classifies that as income subject to the 10% rule of not more than the total gross income.
 When the paper trail is followed and the 16 helpers the mayor can employ outside civil service, add the mayor salary, are we still within the budget?   If not we should amend the charter setting the mayor salary as a volunteer seeking power, holding the scepter, as a dollar-a-year person.  

Shadow Man.. You can always be relied upon to make one feel as though they spent about ten minutes too long in an Opium Den............

But that is only in Afghanistan... so may the farce be with you..!

[}:)]
Wilbur
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 07:56:28 pm »

These are "at will" employees. They do not have the same protections as civil service lifers. They may be terminated for little or no reason. Their term is generally only for the term of the elected official. Remember what happened to LaFortunes appointees. The civil service employee is generally career oriented in government whereas these employees have a limited govt. life span.

An excellent point and one I had not considered.  But, I would be curious to know how many of those employees are new hires under Taylor.  Many have been there through several administrations, and Tom Baker is a retired firefighter and fire chief, with who knows how many years with the city.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 09:54:05 pm »

<center>
</center>
shadows
City Father

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2007, 05:22:05 pm »

One wonders if the contributors of the 1.2 million clams in the mayor campaign  are getting a return to help them in fishing for more clams?

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Wilbur
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 05:55:21 pm »

$1,070,000+ and counting, with still one more employee to go.  Has any other Mayor had staff salaries that exceeded one million dollars, or is the 'city doesn't have any money' Mayor setting all time records?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070926_1_A9_spanc47180
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2007, 10:03:23 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Don't get me wrong, the outsourcing bothers me, too. Of the proposals he's made, I find myself agreeing with him more often than not, that's all. That and he's seems to be keeping an open mind, really listening to all the ideas on the table an evaluating them objectively. If he has any hidden agendas, he is hiding them very well.

This guy sure had me fooled! Boy, was I wrong.

<center>
</center>
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2007, 12:19:44 pm »

quote:

quote:

Told you so. [Wink]

Sheesh, I should have dumped a ton into Kathy's campaign and maybe I'd be making six figures on the public dole right now too.

I notice the paper seemed to leave off one important detail.  Who was Mr. Wilkie's previous employer?  Vanguard?  $120K to hire someone to supervise another supervisor who supervises more supervisors and subordinates...my donkey!

If there is anyone who is still paying attention to what I have to say, what more evidence do we need to see that we are getting more government in Tulsa and fewer essential services with each of these six-figure hires.

Wilbur
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2007, 01:14:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

quote:

Told you so. [Wink]

Sheesh, I should have dumped a ton into Kathy's campaign and maybe I'd be making six figures on the public dole right now too.

I notice the paper seemed to leave off one important detail.  Who was Mr. Wilkie's previous employer?  Vanguard?  $120K to hire someone to supervise another supervisor who supervises more supervisors and subordinates...my donkey!

If there is anyone who is still paying attention to what I have to say, what more evidence do we need to see that we are getting more government in Tulsa and fewer essential services with each of these six-figure hires.

Do you mean we actually have to explain that a Democrat mayor wants big government?  Isn't that the definition?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org