A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:12:02 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working on the Low Water Dam?  (Read 3501 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: February 17, 2007, 05:01:27 pm »

Just noticed the sandy dam (or is it a levy?) by the Pedestrian Bridge today. I assume they're working to fix the "slow leak" on the low water dam...but does anyone have actual knowledge?  Just curious.
waterboy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 07:25:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

Just noticed the sandy dam (or is it a levy?) by the Pedestrian Bridge today. I assume they're working to fix the "slow leak" on the low water dam...but does anyone have actual knowledge?  Just curious.

I read something in the Whirled last week. Some of the Kaiser money being used to repair leaks in the dam and repair a gate or something. Interesting how they create sand levees so they can channel the water away from the work area.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:24:12 pm »

PSO is paying for the temporary sand dams to be built in order for an inspection of the existing dam to be done. After that, repairs will be done to the low water dam.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:38:05 am »

As an FYI... sometimes those sand dams are build to divert the flow so sand can be harvested from the river.  Clearly is done below the low water dam, often between 41st and 51st.  

I saw them doing so one day and then read about it shortly thereafter... figured if I wondered about it others would too.  So I shared.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
waterboy
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:42:25 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

As an FYI... sometimes those sand dams are build to divert the flow so sand can be harvested from the river.  Clearly is done below the low water dam, often between 41st and 51st.  

I saw them doing so one day and then read about it shortly thereafter... figured if I wondered about it others would too.  So I shared.

I am curious as to who would be harvesting in those areas and how. The only mining operations I know of are much farther downstream, past Jenks or over by Sand Springs. They use barges and pumps. Did they use dozers and trucks? Were they commercial or governmental?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 10:57:59 am »

It was a commercial outfit that is based near Turkey Mountain somewhere.  They were harvesting the sand for sale to the city (stockpile for these wonderful snowklohoma winters) and at the same time clearing the intake flow for AEP.  This would have been a year or two ago during the summer low-flow.

There were a couple crawler backhoes and dump trucks coming in and out.  Not the large scale operations with conveyor belts you see other places.  I just found it interesting...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
MichaelC
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 11:42:14 am »

"I am your dam guide, Arnie, please don't wander off the dam tour and please take all the dam pictures you want. Now are there any dam questions?"
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 02:12:12 pm »

"Ummm, yeah.  Ummm (he, huh, heh), I have a question. Umm.  Yeah.  (heh, huh).  Is this a god dam?"

- Beavis

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org