A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:36:40 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA Hospital  (Read 7982 times)
7toecat
« on: February 01, 2007, 08:41:48 am »

We are looking at moving to OK from OR,simply due to cost of living.We need to live close to a VA hospital for emergency visits (my hubby has COPD-bad lungs).I was surprised that the VA hospital is not in Tulsa but is in Muskogee.Anybody have any experience with the VA system in the area?
mdunn
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:54:51 am »

I would say the V.A. Hospital in Okla is no worse or better than any of them across the country,I personally gave up on them years ago.Its much easier to pay for medical services than to play the waiting game with the V.A.Good Luck!
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:17:09 am »

They have a clinic of some sort along the Broken Arrow Expressway (that only caught my attention by the crummy lighting)...
and I guess the one downtown is now part of OSU?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:42:25 am »

You are referring to the Veteran's Administration OutPatient Clinic on 41st. Here is a link...

http://www.appc1.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=5376&dnum=All

They seem to cover lots of stuff.

Power is nothing till you use it.
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 10:19:37 am »

There is also one in Claremore.  My husband's grandfather had been a patient there for almost a year in the alzheimer's wing.  They took very good care of him in that area, but I can't speak of any other area.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:27:33 pm »

I visited this hospital recently.  It is pretty dated but seemed to be in decent shape.  I know at one time Inhofe wanted to move the VA hospital to Tulsa, that was 25 years ago.  Found an old article about it: http://m.newsok.com/inhofe-suggests-moving-va-clinic-to-city-of-faith/article/2287783

Quinton
Activist

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:21:27 am »

I am a 100% disabeled vet and go to the clinic on 41st a lot and am happy with the treatment.I also have COPD. I have never been to the hospital in Muskogee.

Liberalism is a mental disorder
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 04:58:24 pm »

Looks like Tulsa will get a new VA hospital, but it won't replace the one in Muskogee.  Any chance this goes downtown next to OSU Medical Center?  That would potentially bring in several hundred jobs to the downtown area.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-sen.-tom-coburn-says-tulsa-will-get-new-va-medical-center/article/4906845

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:10:29 pm »

I visited this hospital recently.  It is pretty dated but seemed to be in decent shape.  I know at one time Inhofe wanted to move the VA hospital to Tulsa, that was 25 years ago.  Found an old article about it: http://m.newsok.com/inhofe-suggests-moving-va-clinic-to-city-of-faith/article/2287783

Inhofe endorsement guarantees it is a bad idea - there were/are millions of dollars floating around loose that he had/has his eye on to funnel to one of his "good buddies"!  

Would be very good to have a VA hospital in Tulsa - much like it would be good to have a full service state supported university here.  Both cases, this is where the concentration of people who need the services lives.  

And on quite a few other occasions, I have agreed with Coburn, but he is obviously playing to the Muskogee crowd with that.  Tulsa needs to AT LEAST match the Muskogee facility and SHOULD exceed it - the population served IS that big a difference!!  

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 09:13:46 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 12:24:17 pm »

I think if this could be next to or part of the OSU Medical Center complex that would be a win for downtown. 

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 04:18:55 pm »

Going to 91st & Mingo.  Missed opportunity IMO this could be in an area more well-suited for transit like OSU Medical Center downtown.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulsa-s-va-clinics-to-be-consolidated-under-one-roof/article_74401770-6b71-57f8-ad26-9383e63520fa.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org