A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:06:44 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fields urges lawmakers to consider 'transition law  (Read 1815 times)
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« on: February 02, 2007, 02:09:39 am »

Fields urges lawmakers to consider 'transition laws'
01/22/2007 by Shawn Ashley

(LIN) State Labor Commissioner Lloyd Fields urged lawmakers Tuesday to consider 'transition laws' that could aid newly elected state officers as they prepare to take office.

"Right now, everything is at the discretion of the incumbent," Fields told members of the House Economic Development and Financial Services Committee. "They can pretty much do anything they want."

Fields appeared before the committee to outline his budget request for the coming fiscal year. He had to tell lawmakers several times that he did not know the answers to their questions because he is still searching for Department of Labor documents with the necessary information. He stopped just short of saying his predecessor, former Labor Commissioner Brenda Reneau, had destroyed documents. He did say, however, that some information appears to have been deleted from computers and other documents seem to be missing.

"What you see here," he said, referring to a budget outline presented to committee members, "is two weeks' work. This is what we have been able to do since we came in the door."

Fields' transition got off to a rocky start. After defeating Reneau in November's general election, he was scheduled to meet Jan. 4 with agency leaders. Upon arriving at the Department of Labor offices, however, he was met by an agency employee who handed Fields and his staff various documents. He then was told that his meeting had been canceled the previous day, although he was later given an opportunity to meet with several of the agency's employees. Reneau's staff said the meeting was canceled after Fields failed to confirm his plans to attend.

Asked by Rep. Ron Peters, R-Tulsa, whether any laws exist to aid newly elected officials in assuming office, Fields said, "No, and I will get behind anyone who wants to take that on." He said such a law should protect government records and freeze expenditures except those necessary for a department's ongoing operations.

Following the committee meeting, Peters said he might be willing to take that challenge. "It seems crazy to me that there is not something already in place," Peters said. "I'm completely surprised there's not anything to protect records, particularly."

Peters said such a proposal would need to address two issues. "First and most importantly, we have to protect state records," he said. "We have to have a law that prevents the destruction of government records. Secondly, we need to look at whatever we can do to make sure the transitions happen smoothly and that there is more coordination between the outgoing official and the incoming official."

Existing state statutes require state officers, such as the labor commissioner, to turn over all books and records to their successor (Title 51 O.S. Section 19). The outgoing officer's final month's paycheck can be withheld until their successor verifies the office's records have been turned over to them (Title 51 O.S. Section 20). Failure to turn over the records could constitute a misdemeanor (Title 51 O.S. Section 22).

Specific transition provisions apply to the governor and lieutenant governor's offices. Statute requires that the Office of State Finance's Division of the Budget, set aside $30,000 "or so much thereof as may be necessary" to facilitate the transition of the governor-elect and $10,000 for the lieutenant governor-elect (Title 62 O.S. Section 41.39) A section of the statute also calls on the division to work with the governor-

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:21:50 pm »

Interesting, to say the least.

I'm not so sure that commisioner positions like education, labor, insurance, et. al. shouldn't be nominated by the Gov. and affirmed by the legislature.

Yes, that might leave the door open to cronyism but the legislature should be a check/balance to that.  I also don't see the reason for any of those positions to be part of a partisan election.

My particular industry answers primarily to the DOL and my boss felt that Brenda Reneau did a great job turning the office around and ending years of corruption.  However, it sounds like some sour grapes have really hamstrung Lloyd Fields.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 11:52:25 pm »

Sour grapes? That's putting it mildly. I'm actually glad whatever her last name is this month decided to pull this stunt because it looks like some much needed reform will evolve from it, hopefully preventing this in the future. This is an embarrassment and black eye for the state.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org