A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:47 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bell's Amusement Park Move  (Read 9897 times)
PRH
« on: January 13, 2007, 06:19:04 am »

Does anyone know what's happened at Bell's?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:44:58 am »

Don't think they have found a place to move to yet.  Either that or they haven't worked out the details and said anything.  As for moving off the fairgrounds, I think he was asking for more time, until August I believe.  He was wanting to have enough time to try and find out where he could move to permanently so he wouldnt have the expense of moving things twice. He will still have to move fast, even if he finds a home by spring it can still take months to work out the contractual details, fill out the paperwork, and then it will take time to start moving. Thats of course assuming he is just going to pack all his rides into a corner on the property so he can then start laying out the new park, add trails, asphaulting, foundations, electrical and plumbing, fencing etc.

I would say it would be a miracle if he were even able to have a partial opening as soon as spring of 2008.  

I hope he takes this as an opportunity to theme the park as well. Perhaps leave some of the trees and make walkways to go with a western type theme.  Course that has been done to death in these parts, but would be better than no theme at all.  Or perhaps he could do a coney island boardwalk theme having things laid out in rows. Even if he cant really afford to do either right away, it would be wise to set the layout of the rides according to the "needs" of whatever theme he will be heading towards.  

However, I get the unfortunate impression that he is not the kind of guy who realizes the importance of aesthetics.

You know what type of theme I think would be fun and different....?

A 50s style theme park.  

Take that all American kistch from that area and really do the park up.  Diners and car hops are obvious for the food courts, say a retro bowling alley theme for the skeeball, etc.

http://www.50sdiner.biz/

http://www.retroplanet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=RP/CTGY/3-3

And above all Have FUN! with it... be tacky, quirky and outrageous.

http://www.plan59.com/galleries/toohappy/toohappy.htm

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
rwarn17588
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 12:20:55 pm »

So what happens if nobody wants him?
perspicuity85
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 12:28:34 pm »

I think the Coney Island theme would work well.  The wooden roller coaster is very coney-ish, for lack of a better adjective.  The boardwalk idea would be nice.  If the park does move to Sand Springs, maybe it could be near the river.  The boardwalk could be on the river and extend into the park.  That would allow the park to attract some restaurants/retail as tenants.  Of course,the Coney I-lander restaurant is a must.
breitee
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 02:43:35 pm »

How many of you would like Bell's to move to Sand Springs?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 02:59:33 pm »

If they could tie it in with other development, yes. I always liked the idea of a riverfront amusement park like chicago's navy pier.
perspicuity85
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 05:08:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

If they could tie it in with other development, yes. I always liked the idea of a riverfront amusement park like chicago's navy pier.

A riverfront Coney Island-style park near the new Sand Springs dam would work well.  Perhaps the increased continuous water flow could tie recreational boating in with the park.  Kayaking or sailing would be preferrable over motor-boats.  Or better yet, a paddle-wheel boat could transport park-goers from one side of the park to the other, or possibly throughout the metro riverfront.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 06:12:26 am »

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

A riverfront Coney Island-style park near the new Sand Springs dam would work well.  Perhaps the increased continuous water flow could tie recreational boating in with the park.  Kayaking or sailing would be preferrable over motor-boats.  Or better yet, a paddle-wheel boat could transport park-goers from one side of the park to the other, or possibly throughout the metro riverfront.

I would much rather see the rides as part of an open park where you can stroll freely, and ride only if you want.
Shavethewhales
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:35:29 pm »

So, from looking through some of the old articles, it looks like several communities were really trying to hook Bell's. Which one has he chosen? With land and potentially a good corporate welfare offer, Bell's should have it pretty well made, except for the rest of the funding it will take to build the park.

Man, if they try for that 50's trolley park that Celebration City attempted, I may wet myself.
rwarn17588
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 09:52:32 pm »

I think the suburbs' enthusiasm for Bell's has cooled considerably.
Shavethewhales
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 10:17:46 pm »

^Yeah, but I mean, wouldn't they still be pretty eager to attract this area's only amusement park? Especially one with so many fans, even if it does have a marred history. From the way Robby was talking about building a brand new 'world-class' park, you'd think everyone would be really excited. Everyone complained how the old Bell's was 'run-down', even though they were attempting to re-vamp the whole, now we have a chance to see a completely shiny new park.
rwarn17588
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 12:13:15 am »

The suburbs wouldn't be eager if Robby Bell runs it.
waterboy
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 06:39:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shavethewhales

^Yeah, but I mean, wouldn't they still be pretty eager to attract this area's only amusement park?

The question is whether Bell's is a name that is salable. Any community may welcome an amusement park, even with his name on it, but if they are required to pump public funds into its operation, the public memory of the decline and fall of his park makes him a difficult choice.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 10:16:15 am »

We should just pool our money and buy his better rides and games.

I got room for a ferris wheel and a couple of Skee-Ball games.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org