A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:42:56 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Ice Storm  (Read 10419 times)
Rowdy
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:39:33 pm »

Let's hope that this doesn't come into fruition like it is looking so far.  I got plenty of firewood and lots of groceries just in case it gets bad.
AMP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:02:39 pm »

Took over an hour at Reasors around 6pm to pick up a few items.  Out of most things, no hamburger meat, no bananas.  Low on bread, milk, eggs.  

Had to wait 10 minutes for a basket, and all 15 lanes had 5 or more standing in line.  

Gives another meaning to "Just in time" warehouse shipping.
Steve
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 09:25:50 pm »

I was at the Reasors at 19th & Yale around 7:00 PM tonight.  It was worse than the day before Thanksgiving!  You had to forage the parking lot for a grocery cart.  They were 10 carts deep at every checkout.  Shelves were empty all over the store.  Crazy!  You would think that Tulsans only did their grocery shopping on the day before an anticipated winter storm.
Fortunately, I was there only for milk, soda, and bread and made it through the express lane in just a few minutes.

I hope we "dodge a bullet" this time and don't have a repeat of Nov.30-Dec.1 storm.  The roof on my house had some ice damming problems due to the long freeze/thaw/refreeze with that storm.
deinstein
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 09:42:08 pm »

I'll be delivering in it, sweet.
AMP
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:23:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

I was at the Reasors at 19th & Yale around 7:00 PM tonight.  It was worse than the day before Thanksgiving!  You had to forage the parking lot for a grocery cart.  They were 10 carts deep at every checkout.  Shelves were empty all over the store.  Crazy!  You would think that Tulsans only did their grocery shopping on the day before an anticipated winter storm.
Fortunately, I was there only for milk, soda, and bread and made it through the express lane in just a few minutes.

I hope we "dodge a bullet" this time and don't have a repeat of Nov.30-Dec.1 storm.  The roof on my house had some ice damming problems due to the long freeze/thaw/refreeze with that storm.

I was there.... Same experience!  CRAZY
Mike G
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:56:44 pm »

As it is looking for the moment, there should be a decent amount of ice accumulation.  The national weather service is predicting around 1/2" of ice accumulation by Sunday, with possibly higher amounts for Northern Oklahoma.  Should start Friday night with rain which will develop into freezing rain into Saturday and continue through Sunday night.
Rowdy
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 04:13:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mike G

As it is looking for the moment, there should be a decent amount of ice accumulation.  The national weather service is predicting around 1/2" of ice accumulation by Sunday, with possibly higher amounts for Northern Oklahoma.  Should start Friday night with rain which will develop into freezing rain into Saturday and continue through Sunday night.

I think we will see higher than a half an inch in the Tulsa area.
Hawkins
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 10:26:34 am »

Strange. For the 2nd day in a row the national weather map (in the weather section of the newspaper) shows the Tulsa area in green-- high temperature in the low 40s for Friday.

Yet the local internet and media blitz shows an ice storm alert ALL WEEKEND.

These local weather stations are vying for ratings and the right to say they 'covered it best,' but there is still a chance that we won't see any significant ice accumulation until Sunday in the Tulsa area.

Chicken Little
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 10:29:36 am »

Question 1:  How much ice before power lines start coming down?

Question 2:  How long are we going to put up with this unecessary problem?
deinstein
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 03:18:36 pm »

Pretty sure it's icey outside folks.
Mike G
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 05:00:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Little

Question 1:  How much ice before power lines start coming down?

Depends on the winds.  If they are the predicted 15-30mph, then not a whole lot.  If it's calm, it would take a lot more to just weight them down.  The wind will add more strain to the lines/poles which will knock them down quicker.  On the flip side, no one seems to be complaining as much about the city trimming trees.

Question 2:  How long are we going to put up with this unecessary problem?

Which problem?  I don't see how we have a choice in controling the weather.
Chicken Little
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 05:08:52 pm »

Ice, wind, and/or trees can't knock down power lines if they are underground.
deinstein
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 05:36:33 pm »

Power lines will be a problem on Sunday, when the accumulation is greatest and the their is more freezing rain.
Rowdy
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 06:58:01 pm »

It's not so much the rain on Sunday but the wind to go with it.
deinstein
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 07:12:29 pm »

The weight on the powerlines is more a factor than the wind...and freezing rain puts more weight. Wind doesn't help though.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org