A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:29:14 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Dems' vow already broken!!!"  (Read 7012 times)
MH2010
Philanthropist

« on: January 07, 2007, 04:15:36 pm »

That didn't last long...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7.htm
waterboy
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 04:23:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MH2010

That didn't last long...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7.htm

OMG! We wasted our votes! This could mean big trouble. Can anyone be trusted now! I mean, did the Repubs even bring up such heresy? and..and now...what will we do? They probably will refuse to refuse funding for the war. Maybe we could get this fine specimen of credible serious journalism to run for office. What's his name? Uh, Srudge, mud-ge, dud-ge,...whatever.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:14:45 pm »

Try to do more than quote a partisan sensationalist like Drudge if you want to sway us.

The Drudge Report mentions a Washington Post story where one Democrat congressman is quoted as saying that the Democrats will try to convene and work almost every day.

The congressman quoted, Rep. Steny H. Hoyer from Maryland, is now giving the Congress officials and staff this Monday off and next Monday off (Martin Luther King day).

The republican led Congress only worked four day weeks at the most and in fact worked only 103 days total in 2006, the fewest in history. President Bush has spent more than 20% of his entire presidency in Crawford, Texas, more vacation time than any President in history.

One Democrat says that the new Congress will work more than the group before them and now they take a day off. This after the Speaker of the House takes on the most ambitious first hundred hours ever.

Matt Drudge makes this a breaking story and headlines it with "Dem vows already broken". What a stupid sensationalist.

If anything, attention like this will lead the American people to realize how much the republicans goofed off when they were in charge.

Thanks for also bringing the spotlight on it on TulsaNow, MH2010.

Power is nothing till you use it.
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:51:16 pm »

Time to Bury Reaganism  
by Marie Cocco  
http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0107-26.htm
"This isn't news to Democrats. It is no accident that five of the six items on their consensus agenda for early legislative action are efforts to ameliorate the economic distress that working- and middle-class people have felt for years — while being told that everything is OK."

MH2010...pay close attention.
"The clash cannot be reconciled; presidential vetoes and angry rhetoric are to be expected. Not until 2008 will voters get to decide if they wish, at last, to bury Reaganism in the face of new economic realities. "

RUN! HIDE! FEAR!Leahy Introduces Bills To Combat War Profiteering, Public Corruption
http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200701/010407b.html

And!"Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), the chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, has created a new subcommittee that will tackle decisions made by the Bush administration regarding which government records should be made available to the public. "

THE SKY IS FALLING!
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 11:22:33 pm »

I'm glad you straightened me out about Drudge.  Now I don't have to worry about these headlines...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/7aab5a38-9e7b-11db-ac03-0000779e2340.html

http://www.kotv.com/news/national/story/?id=117627

aoxamaxoa
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:40:44 pm »

Careful 2010.....we may get the hook out on you if you keep posting old news...and that KOTV net link was sorry reporting of only some of what Biden said....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070107/wl_afp/usvotebiden2008_070107162804
America wants Biden in the White House, senator imagines....
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 01:28:46 am »

quote:

I'm glad you straightened me out about Drudge.  Now I don't have to worry about these headlines...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/7aab5a38-9e7b-11db-ac03-0000779e2340.html

http://www.kotv.com/news/national/story/?id=117627

I don't get your point. You posted two stories about how democrats have different perspectives on the war in Iraq.

Is your point that republicans never disagree within their party?

You reminded me of the crux of the last election.

The republicans mocked John Kerry because he changed his mind and chanted "flip-flopper" at some of his public appearences. Bush said the opposite. He said he couldn't think of when he was wrong and would never change his mind.

It still baffles me that the country choses arrogant stubborness versus open-mindedness.

MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 01:52:55 am »

Well, my original post was simply to mimic similar posts about president Bush but to reverse it to the Democrats. I thought the story was funny because it kicks off the new partisan war.

The second point I made was to respond to your initial response about Drudge.  You responded that he was a "partisan sensationalist" and attempted to discount him.  I then linked to two stories on his website that are unfavorable to Republican views and agreed that he should be discounted.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 09:45:09 am »

No matter what the point, I just think it's funny they get football-day off
waterboy
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 09:58:52 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

No matter what the point, I just think it's funny they get football-day off

Especially for the likes of Ohio State/Florida!
But then, that's alot of electoral votes.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 12:07:39 pm »

quote:

Well, my original post was simply to mimic similar posts about president Bush but to reverse it to the Democrats. I thought the story was funny because it kicks off the new partisan war.

The second point I made was to respond to your initial response about Drudge.  You responded that he was a "partisan sensationalist" and attempted to discount him.  I then linked to two stories on his website that are unfavorable to Republican views and agreed that he should be discounted.

I agree with you that this is the start of a very partisan year nationally.

The republicans have had no one to blame as long as they held all the power. Now everything bad is Congress's fault and everything good will be attributed to the leadership from the President. The democrats will take the opposite view.

I am sure there will be plenty of blame to go around.

I also think the republicans are in real trouble in the next two years. This last election was a stinging defeat and there is nobody waiting in the wings as the annointed standard bearer.

The immigration issue pitted social conservatives against fiscal conservatives, the leading candidates for the republican nomination for president are Guliani and McCain, one whom is for gun control and the other who is scorned by the religious right.

Who does a conservative support when the traditional strengths of the party are in-fighting?

The republican party had better get their act together soon or they will lose their relevence and their power all in two years.

Luckily for me, I hope it happens.

rwarn17588
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 01:47:44 pm »

The funny part is, I've voted Republican in previous elections. Where I lived in the metro-east in St. Louis, Republicans were more progressive than the entrenched, Southern Democrat-style leadership that embraced nepotism and corruption.

But I've thrown away the GOP in recent years because it has thrown away the principles that made it a power in the 1980s -- smaller government, fiscal responsibility, social responsibility.

The national GOP's destruction mirrored the Illinois GOP's destruction four years ago. Humongous deficit spending, lousy governing and widespread corruption that led to the conviction of dozens of officials, including the former governor, will do that. In 2002, Illinois swept the Republicans out of the state House, Senate and governor's mansion for the first time in decades.

See the parallels in 2006?

I am more of an independent voter than recyclemichael, but I agree that the Republicans are going to be in big trouble in 2008 unless they turn their party around, and quick.

One thing the GOP had better not do is the "I'm more conservative than this guy" oneupmanship. Independent voters are turned off by that. Independent voters -- the ones that decide national elections -- want leadership, not party-line rhetoric. Save for the possibility of Giuliani, I don't see any Republican candidate who can do this.

But I'm waiting ...
NellieBly
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 03:44:22 pm »

News Flash
A Repuplican requested the day off.

Contrary to an Internet report, Republicans in the House of Representatives appear to have asked for a day off less than one week into the 110th Congress, RAW STORY has learned. The Democratic leadership consented, and no action is scheduled on the House floor today.

Congress will not meet today to begin the official "100 hours" agenda of the Democratic Members due to a request put in to the Democratic Leadership by Rep. John Boehner, the Republican Minority Leader in the House of Representatives.

"Mr. Boehner made this request, and in the interest of comity, Democrats granted it," a senior Democratic aide told RAW STORY.

Late Sunday afternoon, news portal operator Matt Drudge displayed a large banner headline on his Website set in capital letters which claimed, "DEM VOW ALREADY BROKEN: HOUSE SETS 4-DAY WORK WEEK." Drudge accused the Democrats of shutting down the House because of the College Football National Championship being played tonight between top teams Ohio State University and the University of Florida in Arizona.

"Hill sources claim The House is taking Monday 'off' this week, because of the championship football game," Drudge wrote.

Drudge's "flash" also included a graphic taken from a press release sent from the office of Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, which - as the Internet journalist phrased it - "boldly declares: 'Monday, January 8, 2007: The House is not in session.'"

DM
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 05:55:11 pm »

What a waste of a thread. [B)]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org