A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:12:46 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Hamburgers in the Tulsa Area ?  (Read 12846 times)
Steve
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 08:15:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Goodpasture

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

One's that are gone:

Johnny Harden's on 11th Street before he got into KFC.....

Seems like I remember Hardens had one of the first KFC restaurant franchises in Tulsa in the early-mid 1960s.  I remember their KFC at about 24th & Sheridan with the revolving KFC bucket sign.  My family used to get a "bucket" of KFC on occasion, back when take out food was considered a rare treet.
AMP
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 09:32:38 pm »

Jerry's famous J.J's Gormet Burgers where the Tulsa Rubicon Head Shop once was up north on Peoria. Home of the original "Tulsa Tops Papers"
unknown
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 08:32:33 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

I have never tried the Tys Burgers, don't know why, just never remember it I seen it is closed when ever I go there.

I didn't really care for Ty's... could have just been the onion rings that left a bad taste in my mouth, but it isn't a place I'll go back too.

Fast Eddie's at 101st Sheridan is pretty good as well.
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 02:57:14 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PRH

Conner's Corner was the best hamburger place I ever ate.

Too bad so few remember it now.  I would love to know what they seasoned the hamburgers and potato chips with.

You must be getting up there.....30th and Harvard? My memory serves me well.....

Stonehorse now has Tulsa's best boyger.....trust me on this.
ky
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 06:23:56 pm »

the best hamburger place is arnolds in west tulsa.
AMP
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 08:14:57 pm »

Where is the Stonehorse located?  

Is it a gormet thick charcoal burger or a thin fry grilled burger?

AMP
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 08:23:11 pm »

Connor's Corner was located in the corner of the stip center just north of the Bank. 30th and Harvard on the East Side of the street.

The man that did the radio ads for them also did the Hug, U Needum Tires radio ads. His name was Jim Wheaton.    

There was a great Itallian place across the street that serverd a marvelous Sunday Brunch.  They had wine bottles with tons of melted candle wax on them. Can't recall the name. That building became Dr. Z's Eye Glasses.

Story about Jim Wheaton the voice of Conner's Corner and U-Needum Tires.
http://tulsatvmemories.com/imag1999/wheaton.jpg
AMP
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 08:24:28 pm »

From Tulsa TV Memories:

Jim Wheaton's name has come up on this page a few times. He was a colorful radio pitchman in the late 60s and 70s (and a little into the 80s) in Tulsa. His unique voice was heard on spots for Connor's Corner, Gary Henry Chevrolet, and many others. His most famous series of spots was for U-Need-M tires. That hokey tom-tom opened each spots, followed by Jim's gutteral, "Ugh! You need 'em tires?"

He was basically a one man ad agency; obtaining clients, buying time, writing and recording the spots, etc. He didn't pay too much attention to the length of his spots and the radio stations in those days didn't worry too much about it. (Unrelated to Wheaton, those live remotes from car dealers, etc., on Saturday morning back in the 70s never got within 50 yards of a stopwatch either) Anyway, I was Program Director for KRMG about 1981 when we added ABC Radio. I told the sales rep handling Jim's account that he would have to crack down on him because we had to meet the network. Jim got so mad at us "tampering with his creativity" that he pulled all his spots for a week or so. I had to send him a letter assuring him that he was wonderful, but if he buys 30 sec he gets 29 and if the spots went overtime we'd have to reject them. In response he bought a schedule for some client where he complained (in the spot!) about KRMG rejecting his spots, and used the last five seconds to count down to zero. He eventually got over it, however, and tightened up his spots, but he held a grudge against me ever after.

Sadly, Jim died of cancer in the early 80s.

Jim Wheaton was a colorful part of Tulsa broadcasting history.
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 09:14:07 pm »

The place across the street was owned by Lorice Saffa Wallace and I can't recall the name but they moved there after the Harvard Club closed around '80. The Chalet?

Stonehorse is in Utica Square. The burger is thick and juicy grilled. Pay more and you get quality.

Best fried burger is tough to call....Ron's, Brownies, Claud's...depends what you want with it...Ron's+fries, Brownies+Root beer, Claud's+Brookside....

And Wheaton was a monument..."U NEEEDUM TIRES?"
AMP
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 09:43:51 pm »

Mr. T's on Peoria back in the 50's.

Suprized there were no films of more of Tulsa'a Country Clubs on the Tulsa Fantastic Films.

Ah, the wonderful Harvard Club. Got a few sunburns there back in the day.  

And Jack and Elenore Sig that owned the other great private swimming club the Cabana Club  that sat behind where the Green Onion is today on 51st West of Yale.  Had the underground room with the window you could see into the giant swimming pool.  Two story tanning platform, that concrete got Super Hot, but was shaded below.

Grassy area with giant trees in front for picnics and parties.  

Great swings out front, shuffle board, croquet range and the best snack bar up on the hill with those frozen ice cream sundaes you ate with a wooden spoon.  

The Cabana Club was one of Tulsa's hot spots.  

Parties were always at the Sig's home in the back of the property after hours.  

-----------------------------

Also there was another club off of Lewis near the SW corner of Southern Hills, The Candle Wood Club.  Used to go there when I was 10 up to adult time.  I was a member and ate there two or more times a month for 10 years. They had an awesome restaurant and two or three pools.  One for adults and one for teens, plus the kiddie pool.  

And of course Southern Hills which is still there today.  They made some great burgers that were delivered to you pool side. Best deal was you just signed for them on the members account. Yummy  

AMP
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 09:52:48 pm »

Another great Tulsa Radio Ad Talent was the late Ridge Bond.  He did voice overs at KELI,  KRMG and other radio stations for years.

First ever portable Color TV Camera I ever saw was owned by Ridge Bond.  He was filming local ads on location with the thing. It was made by Sony. His office was in the Fikes Building on the South East corner of 51st and Lewis, in the corner office suites.  There was a great Burger Place in there.  We were around 13 at the time and got to charge the food there, so that was neat.  

Ridge played the part of Curley in the Broadway production of Oklahoma.  

Seems Ridge Bond and Leon Russell should of had mention in the Centennial Celebration.    

We used one of the cameras for our Science Fair project in 1965, maybe.
okieinla
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 01:58:19 am »

Ron's cheeseburger w/ grilled onions is one of my favs.

I used to love Goldies. Ate there all the time (51st/ Lewis)
in the 70's/80's, but now the burgers are too salty for my taste.
I dunno, maybe they've always been that way & I'm just now
noticing.
AMP
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 02:17:53 pm »

Ted's Hamburgers on Edison Street by Central High School is another Tulsa Great Hamburger place.  

Just got back with a bag of burgers and salads visiting one our associates businesses near by. Glad they reminded me of Ted's

They serve an inexpensive $2.99 Chef Salad also.

Great Fries and big burgers.
inteller
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 08:19:42 pm »

Backyard Burgers...the blackjack burger is so yummy....as well as the black and bleu.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 10:44:46 am »

Police: Owner of Ted’s Hamburgers found stabbed to death in his west Tulsa restaurant

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/police-man-found-stabbed-to-death-inside-ted-s-hamburgers/article_eeb13ebf-809c-5f77-8b0c-aaa9467f0534.html

The owner of Ted's Hamburgers was found stabbed to death Friday morning inside his west Tulsa restaurant, according to police.

About 8 a.m., police received a call that a man in his 50s had been found dead inside the restaurant, at 2906 W. Edison St. They later identified the victim as James Coulson, Jr. He died from a single stab wound, police said.

Authorities are questioning two people but don’t have a description of suspects and are still trying to determine a motive.
It is Tulsa’s 39th homicide of the year.

Anyone with information about the stabbing may contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 918-596-COPS (2677), online at bit.ly/crimestoppers or by text message at CRIMES (274637). Text tips should begin with “Tip918.”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org