A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:57:43 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whole Foods  (Read 23007 times)
OKC_Shane
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 02:51:35 pm »

The law will be modified to allow liquor sales in grocery stores, somehow. At least allow variations for places like Whole Foods who choose to open in Tulsa or OKC. I don't really believe the rumor about 91st and Memorial though; Whole Foods likes an urban location.

The law will be changed, probably soon. I know that almost every group in OKC from neighborhood organizations to the city council and mayor have a downtown specialty grocer like Whole Foods at the top of their list, and they're all pushing to have the law changed.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 03:01:11 pm »

^ Yeah I could care less about having strong beer/liquor at convenience stores like in a lot of states but it just makes sense to have a selection at grocery stores.  Changing the law so that groceries could carry strong beer/wine would open the door for Whole Foods, Central Market, and Trader Joe's.  Even though there might only be a couple of these stores built, and only in OKC and Tulsa (maybe Edmond or Norman in time), it would be nice to have a larger variety of stores.  I will still go to my local liquor store to buy most of my alcohol.

aoxamaxoa
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 05:06:32 pm »

A significant amount of noise seems to be coming from the local Wild Oats store.

From my recent inquiries, there is one thing for certain. Whole Foods has come to town several times in the past decade to check us out. Serious inquiries were made to the King sisters long before they commenced their redevelopment at 61st and Yale. Another corner there?

Does that explain some of the rumors? Another fact, they must grow.

Let's all stay tuned. Nothing is imminent but one never knows....

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah.....
Steve
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 12:24:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by azbadpuppy

quote:
Originally posted by Kenosha

The wine thing is really not the major deterrent for Whole Foods. Philadelphia and Minneapolis both have the same restrictions on liqour and wine as Tulsa.

The major deterrents are demographics and economy.

Absolutely true. It has very little to do with being able to sell wine/beer and much more to do with economic factors and suitable locations.

The northeast states have crazier liquor laws than OK and they have Whole Foods and Trader Joes without them being able to sell alcohol.

I agree.  I don't know much about this Whole Foods business, but it sounds like an over priced food store that trades on pretention and cache.  If you can't find what you want at a grocery in Tulsa now, then you are just to darn picky and influenced by hype.  Shop at Reasors or your locally owned grocery of choice and your local liquor store for alcoholic beverages, and to heck with Whole Foods.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 11:47:52 am »

Knowing Oklahoma we'll probably have to be the last state in the nation to still have these restrictive liquor laws before their changed(tattoing anyone?). I do think this initiative petition is the best shot of making it happen sooner. I have much more faith in the wisdom of the voters than our elected officials on this issue. What I don't understand is why a charter city like Tulsa couldn't change the laws within Tulsa? Could you imagine the increase of taxes collected in Tulsa if it were the only city in the state where you can buy six point beer and wine in the grocery stores? Maybe our legislators would do well to turn this issue over to local governments and let their constiuents decide whether they want this or not?

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 10:33:48 pm »

In actuality, Double A, Oklahoma will not be the last state to modify these laws.  Do you see the state of Utah allowing supermarkets to sell wine?  Won't happen for YEARS.  Utah won't even allow liquor stores to be privately owned, and Utah liquor sores cannot carry cold beverages, and franchising is not allowed.  Utah is the bastion of the remnants prohibition, not Oklahoma.

Will Colorado change their laws soon?  They are still a 3.2 state.  Colorado's not even focused on wine in grocery stores.  They just want to buy liquor on Sundays.  How about Kansas?  The majority of Kansas counties still prohibit liquor by the drink.  Pennsylvania?  Sheesh, they still prohibit you from buying a six-pack.  It's a case minimum per purchase.  No alcohol in grocery stores either.

Steve
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 05:09:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by okcpulse

In actuality, Double A, Oklahoma will not be the last state to modify these laws.  Do you see the state of Utah allowing supermarkets to sell wine?  Won't happen for YEARS.  Utah won't even allow liquor stores to be privately owned, and Utah liquor sores cannot carry cold beverages, and franchising is not allowed.  Utah is the bastion of the remnants prohibition, not Oklahoma.

Will Colorado change their laws soon?  They are still a 3.2 state.  Colorado's not even focused on wine in grocery stores.  They just want to buy liquor on Sundays.  How about Kansas?  The majority of Kansas counties still prohibit liquor by the drink.  Pennsylvania?  Sheesh, they still prohibit you from buying a six-pack.  It's a case minimum per purchase.  No alcohol in grocery stores either.

You're right okcpulse.  If Whole Foods really wanted to operate in Oklahoma and sell wine and/or liquor, they could open a food store with a liquor store right next door.  Look at all the liquor stores in Tulsa that have a "beverage store" right next door to sell soda, mixers, cigs & cigars, etc.  The only restriction is that you have to walk outside the liquor store and go into the beverage mart a few feet down.  Silly, yes, but no great big inconvience to the consumer.  Just a way to get around the restrictions of liquor stores not being able to sell non-alcohol products.  As far as I know, there is no restriction on the Whole Foods corporation owning a retail liquor license in Oklahoma, they would just have to have their retail liquor outlet physically separate (if only by a few feet) from their grocery business, with access restricted to not allow minors.  Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

I know individuals own package store licenses in OK, but I am not familiar with the regs on corporate licenses.  Can a corporation have a retail package store license for multiple locations in OK, as long as they comply with all other restrictions?  That I do not know.
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2006, 10:36:00 pm »

I know individuals own package store licenses in OK, but I am not familiar with the regs on corporate licenses.  Can a corporation have a retail package store license for multiple locations in OK, as long as they comply with all other restrictions?  That I do not know.
[/quote]

I do not think so. Many family owned liquor chains do it under seperate family member names, but I do not see corporate package store chains per se.
bigdtottown
Activist

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 08:59:12 am »

Traveler,
You wouldn't be referring to Best Cellars would you?  My wife and I have been enjoying their store in Dallas (Knox Henderson) for years but I was told the other night that a law had to be changed in Dallas specifically to allow the sale of alcohol on the same premisise as it was being consumed, in fact Dallas is the only Best Cellars that allows it.  
On topic though, Central Market is REALLY nice as well.  I also don't understand why some get so worked up over a higher end grocery store.  I've found they a NOT more expensive if you compare apples to apples, literally.  If you want some hard to find fruit or seasoning sure, that may cost more.  We were sad to see The Market go but I got the impression they were not really all that high quality, in spite of appearances.  We also really liked Wild Oats...that's the best smelling grocery store I've ever been in and their sandwiches are awesome.

Buck
ttown_jeff
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 09:20:34 am »

Does anyone know?  Does Whole Foods sell Organic Velveeta?  How about All Natural Spam?

Do they take food stamps, too?  Or can you only redeem food stamps on Totino's pizza rolls and pop tarts?  Speaking of beer, does anyone know if they still make Meisterbrau?  Now that's a goooood durnk, eh, I mean drunk!

I thought everyone knew why the have 3.2 beer.  
They rounded up 3.14159265.   Okies luv pie!
Steve
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 04:58:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aoxamaxoa

I do not think so. Many family owned liquor chains do it under seperate family member names, but I do not see corporate package store chains per se.
[/quote]

I was in my "neighborhood" liquor store on Wed. (Blue Ridge Spirits at 31st & Sheridan) and I got into a discussion with the proprietor about OK liquor laws.  He is all for keeping things as is.  I asked him about allowing liquor stores in OK to be open on Sundays, and he said he was dead against it; he said if it ever came to a vote, he would encourage all his customers to vote against it.  My take is that most all liquor stores in OK are family owned, or individually owned, so laws regarding days and hours of operation tend to "level the playing field."  The store owner said he likes having a mandatory day off; most small liquor stores are run by the owner or family, and they don't want to be open 7 days a week.  You can't blame them for that as most of us enjoy our days off.  If he could be open on Sundays but chooses not to, and the store down the street is open, he will eventually loose business.
Seems current OK liquor laws favor the small business owner and not the big mass marketer and retail chains.  This was probably one of the intents when the laws were written in 1959, and I don't see it as necessarily a bad thing.
ky
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 09:09:25 pm »

[:O]whole food sit just a gimick to get people who think they will live 10 years longer if they eat that crap!! but then they keep smoking their ciggarettes. It wont help. But actually I think its just another rumor to get people talking we do live in Oklahoma the last state to allow anything!!!
ttown_jeff
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 09:41:37 pm »

I'm goin' back to my noodlin' hole an' catch me a big ol' fish.  Shoot, we can' even get drunk no more.
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 07:42:49 pm »

ky, I disagree.  Oklahoma isn't the last state to allow anything.  Granted, we were almost the last state regarding several issues.  But try Utah.  They still don't allow standalone bars and clubs that serve nothing but liquor.  You still have to ask for a membership card at a restaurant.

There is absolutely no gambling in Utah, except for the dog track.  Even Alaska and Hawaii ban all forms of gambling.

ky
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 08:55:03 pm »

[8D]we are so far in the dark ages we have just now out of all the states allowed tattoo's. how stupid is that. I think its a personal choice wheither to drink I do think the staff should monitor how many drinks they have served and if they serve too many and let someone leave drunk they should be held accountable for what becomes of the accidents or arrest afterwards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org