A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:13:15 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urban Wildlife  (Read 44472 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 03:01:11 pm »

I think he banks at IBC @ 21st & Yale.  I've seem him crossing to the east from the fairgrounds before.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 07:59:14 pm »

Witnessed a Great Horned Owl get himself some Cottantail for dinner last night.....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 07:35:46 am »

I have seen fox in Tulsa:

1) Creek Turnpike near Olive
2) OSU College of Medicine over by the refineries
and 3) at Mohawk park

That's pretty good for an urban environment.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

Last week saw an owl perched on the rain gutter at the back door glaring at a somewhat agitated cat inside (he was twice the cat's size)...
...and last night a neighbor's motion detector drew my attention to a fox sniffing at where their garbage is usually put.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Nick Danger
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 04:06:57 pm »

We have seen quite a few raccoons that apparently live in the storm drains in our neighborhood (south of the Creek Turnpike between Yale and Sheridan).

I have also seen a rather large coyote walking down the street 2 times during daylight. Doesn't seem to be afraid of anything... I guess that's why we haven't seen any rabbits around here for a couple of years, although a few years ago, you couldn't plant anything without it being devoured.

Two years ago, I also saw a deer running through the neighborhood, but haven't seen it since then. I figure it lives somewhere in the woods around the turnpike.

Nick
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 04:09:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Last week saw an owl perched on the rain gutter at the back door glaring at a somewhat agitated cat inside (he was twice the cat's size)...
...and last night a neighbor's motion detector drew my attention to a fox sniffing at where their garbage is usually put.

An owl flew in front of my car near 28th and Lewis.  I had never seen an "urban" owl before.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacks fan
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 04:16:01 pm »

Be glad you don't have these back there:

http://www.desertusa.com/magnov97/nov_pap/du_collpecc.html

There have been a couple of dogs attacked in the north Scottsdale area that were pretty severe. My wife in her dog walking business has encountered these, a couple of bobcats, and in the Troon area there are a couple of mountain lions from time to time. She hasn't had any attacks on the dogs she takes care of fortunately.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 04:51:46 pm »

quote:
An owl flew in front of my car near 28th and Lewis.  I had never seen an "urban" owl before.

There used to be at least two in that area; you could hear them calling to one another at night.
Good at ridding the neighborhood of rats and mice, but may be tougher for them with so many roosts destroyed by the ice storm (or lit up by floodlights).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 05:10:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I've seen a couple owls in our neighborhood (Renaissance), and tons of bats. I had one that perched on my chimney for a couple of nights in a row, so I put a couple pieces of fruit out for it.

---Robert
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 07:16:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dbacks fan

Be glad you don't have these back there:

http://www.desertusa.com/magnov97/nov_pap/du_collpecc.html

There have been a couple of dogs attacked in the north Scottsdale area that were pretty severe. My wife in her dog walking business has encountered these, a couple of bobcats, and in the Troon area there are a couple of mountain lions from time to time. She hasn't had any attacks on the dogs she takes care of fortunately.

Love the Muttley avatar!  That snicker was great!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
waterboy
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 07:54:25 pm »

Strange that this topic came back up. Yesterday around mid day I saw what looked like two very large grey wolves. Too big for foxes, too gray and full bodied for coyotes. On 106th west of Memorial in a cul-de-sac where Avalon Medical sits. Beautiful animals that stared at me then disappeared into the wooded area behind the bank. Never see any rabbits around there! Or stray dogs either.
rwarn17588
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 10:14:18 pm »

Ummm, are there really wolves in Oklahoma?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the references I've seen say that wolves disappeared in the Sooner State in the 1930s.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 11:31:06 pm »

I saw a fox run across 41st between Sheridan and Memorial about a month ago.  Somebody told me they were released into the city to eliminate some vermin, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.  I also have seen a raccoon at 51st and Lewis several times.
waterboy
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 07:26:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Ummm, are there really wolves in Oklahoma?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the references I've seen say that wolves disappeared in the Sooner State in the 1930s.

Larger than coyotes, silver gray and confirmed by employees of the nearby medical clinic. About the size of a German police dog but the head was different. This is on the edge of a farm with wild turkeys, foxes, cows etc. that routinely amble through the area.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 07:57:33 am »

Used to see lots of beavers in the creek behind the 81st and Lewis Walmart. Haven't been around there in years so I don't know if they're still there.

Two giant falcons or hawks or something in my neighborhood in BA. Saw one snatch a bird out of mid-flight a few weeks ago. Impressive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org