A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:42:43 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now THIS is News . . .  (Read 5821 times)
Renaissance
City Father

« on: December 15, 2006, 10:17:58 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=061215_Ne_A1_Styli13401#

quote:

Stylists make waves with attire
By TOM DROEGE World Staff Writer
12/15/2006

Co-owner upset by attempt to cover scantily clad hairdressers
Oodles of eyes are on scantily clad hairstylists now that a state board is recommending an industry-wide dress code.

A Tulsa hair salon where the snippers sport short skirts and skimpy tops has spurred complaints to the Oklahoma Board of Cosmetology, said Executive Director Betty Moore.

However, she contends that Eye Candy Cuts, which opened in August, is not the reason the board came up with the dress code recommendations.

"It's an example, it's not the reason," said Moore from her office in Oklahoma City. "We've been thinking about this for three or four years. There's been a need for this."

The co-owner of Eye Candy Cuts, 4775 S. Harvard Ave., believes the board has targeted his business and is meddling in an area not pertinent to cosmetology.

"It sounds like dictating morality of attire and we don't think that's lawful," said Ken Roper. "We don't think this is degrading any more than the owl restaurant that sells chicken wings degrades the restaurant industry."

The brewing controversy has not exactly been bad for business. Twice this week his salon has been mentioned on the Rush Limbaugh radio show as callers haggled over its appropriateness.

"We've done our homework and we know the regulations," Roper said. "It's appropriate and pleasing to a particular clientele."

Aimed at adult males, the salon offers haircuts starting at $25 plus other services including massages, according to its Web site.

"You may see cleavage and you may see a belly button," said Roper. "Tulsa's grown up and we think adult males should have a place to get a good hair cut and a little pampering just like ladies have for years."

The head of the cosmetology board said other salons have considered similar less-clothes, more-skin approaches, including a place in Norman that wanted to go topless.

This week the board decided to add language in a section of rules dealing with equipment and sanitation.

The new language requires stylists to wear clothing that covers their midriff and armpits. Clothing should also reach the mid-thigh, she said.

The clothing regulations, which could become effective as soon as July 2007, were recommended for safety, sanitary and professional reasons, said Moore.

"It would promote our professional image," she said.

Roper, who built his business on the sexy schtick, says he's not giving in without a fight.

The new guidelines must be approved by lawmakers.

As a 27 year old male, I think this business is entirely appropriate.  I can't want to stop in before the uptight old ladies shut things down.
MichaelC
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 10:24:56 am »

quote:

"It sounds like dictating morality of attire and we don't think that's lawful," said Ken Roper. "We don't think this is degrading any more than the owl restaurant that sells chicken wings degrades the restaurant industry."

Taco Bell?  

No, no chicken wings.  

Or Owls.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 10:40:16 am »

We have an owl restaurant?

How do they cook the owl?

Power is nothing till you use it.
AMP
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:47:08 am »

Problem with licensed professions, not much room to ad-lib.  

Believe the Owl restaurant is Hooters, don't know why he just didn't say it.

tim huntzinger
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:51:41 am »

I am more concerned about those poor ladies getting lil' bits of hair inside what lil' clothing they are wearing than the professional image of stylists.

Some lawmaker somewhere is upset that someone, somewhere, is having a good time . . .
Steve
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 12:02:29 pm »

I read the article and saw the picture in this morning's World, and just had to chuckle.  The guy makes a good point; it is no different to me than eating at a place like Hooters.  I think dress code standards should be set by the individual business owners, as long as they comply with all appropriate public health codes.

Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want to go get their hair cut while some woman's bosom was dangling in their face.  Or a man's bare chest, or any person's body parts.  All I care about is a good haircut at a fair price, and getting out of there.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 12:44:46 pm »

They aren't the first hairdressers that "dress" for their customers. They just advertise that they barely do.

I wonder how many new guys are coming home with a new haircut today? You can't buy that kind of publicity...

Power is nothing till you use it.
Steve
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 02:14:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

They aren't the first hairdressers that "dress" for their customers. They just advertise that they barely do.

I wonder how many new guys are coming home with a new haircut today? You can't buy that kind of publicity...

You're right; I have seen tiny ads in the World sports section for Eye Candy Cuts over the past few months, but that front page picture and article was priceless publicity for them.
snopes
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 02:44:17 pm »

I'm outta here for the day. Gotta go get my haircut! [Cheesy]
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 02:46:41 pm »

Hooter's has a new start-up....They are going door to door...The new venture is called Knockers.....

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 03:04:30 pm »

Where is this place located?
It sounded OK, until the part about massages.   That reeks of skankyness.
Steve
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 03:26:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BKDotCom

I think so too.  Makes you wonder if they provide some unadvertised "services."
inteller
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 07:51:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:

one can only hope!

i hatw this ****ing state for legislating morality.  they are doing it for hygene?  That is complete bull****.  its not like they are rubbing open sores all up on their clientele.

i contacted them about a franchise but I guess they arent interested until they get past the bible thumpin lawmakers.

thanks Tulsa world for reminding me why I hate this ****ing state.
Steve
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 09:10:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:

one can only hope!

i hatw this ****ing state for legislating morality.  they are doing it for hygene?  That is complete bull****.  its not like they are rubbing open sores all up on their clientele.

i contacted them about a franchise but I guess they arent interested until they get past the bible thumpin lawmakers.

thanks Tulsa world for reminding me why I hate this ****ing state.

This whole issue will probably disolve with no changes in regs or laws.  If you hate this ****ing state so much, please leave.  We won't miss you one single bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org