A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:19:28 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cathedral Square  (Read 18632 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: December 14, 2006, 07:16:22 am »

I've been thinking about this concept since The Artist came up with it, and I've concluded its got to be one of the coolest ideas I've heard for an under utilized paved over portion of downtown. I was wondering if TulsaNow could endorse it and push it forward the same way they did the 6th St infill project.

Here is the original thread:
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4758&whichpage=1

waterboy
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 11:39:20 am »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

I've been thinking about this concept since The Artist came up with it, and I've concluded its got to be one of the coolest ideas I've heard for an under utilized paved over portion of downtown. I was wondering if TulsaNow could endorse it and push it forward the same way they did the 6th St infill project.

Here is the original thread:
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4758&whichpage=1

One of the better ideas to emerge on the forum. It acknowledges the reality of downtown, a place many people only visit on Sundays and Wednesdays, and uses that momentum to good advantage. Perhaps the Metropolitan Ministries would be a place to start. Not sure of the name but I think it includes most of the big religions downtown.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 03:08:50 pm »

I'm sure there are some wealthy donors at Holy Family that would be interested in investing in something like this, not to mention the Catholic Diocese of Tulsa would probably lend their support.  Now if only a local developer/architect would step forward with the know-how I'm sure this project could happen.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 05:17:27 pm »

This really does seem like a great idea.  I feel like the biggest problems would be involved in getting the parking lot owners to sell, not to mention finding a developer willing to build.  It would probably take some intervention along the lines of what's happening with Towerview, where the TDA would take control of the property and steer its development.  With city resources pretty much stretched to the limit, this probably won't find room on the downtown agenda until the arena distric and East End are nearing completion.  Otherwise, this is really a second or third level project in a theoretical downtown timeline.  It's going to take success by the pioneering residential and retail developments before second-level types will come in and push a project like this.

Still, making it a priority is something I'm all for.  That part of downtown needs a focal point, and I would bet that both TCC and the religious community could be brought on board.  If random "Stakeholders" can push artificial islands (!) to the center of civic discussion, surely a determined group of citizens with a practical plan and caring attitude can achieve similar results.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 09:36:21 pm »

^Remind me after the holidays.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:30:58 am »

I've been thinking a lot about this lately and how it could really be a catalyst for development in south downtown.  A lot of attention downtown has been around the arena, along Boston Ave., the Blue Dome, and now Brady with the ballpark.  However there is still a significant "hole" in the urban fabric of south downtown between the CBD and the church district/uptown.  Cathedral Square would be an opportunity to bridge that gap with a new park that could be surrounded by mixed-use residential.  I would LOVE to present this idea to the church and City...

circassia
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 01:01:12 pm »

I found a fountain on ebay that would work with this idea!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONUMENTAL-PALACE-CARVED-MARBLE-PALATIAL-FOUNTAIN_W0QQitemZ250268930056QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250268930056&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:02:02 pm by circassia » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:10:14 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by circassia

Holy God...do you have any idea how many Owassoan cheerleaders that behemoth would kill?
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

quote:
Originally posted by circassia

Holy God...do you have any idea how many Owassoan cheerleaders that behemoth would kill?

Damn you, beat me to the punchline.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:45:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd
Damn you, beat me to the punchline.

I totally hurried.
circassia
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:16:45 pm »

LOL... you made me spit up my drink with that reply, Towns!
mrB
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:23:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

I've been thinking a lot about this lately and how it could really be a catalyst for development in south downtown.  A lot of attention downtown has been around the arena, along Boston Ave., the Blue Dome, and now Brady with the ballpark.  However there is still a significant "hole" in the urban fabric of south downtown between the CBD and the church district/uptown.  Cathedral Square would be an opportunity to bridge that gap with a new park that could be surrounded by mixed-use residential.  I would LOVE to present this idea to the church and City...

quote:

from TheArtist in the thread, PlaniTulsa and TulsaNow speaking of what he saw at the PLANiTulsa mtg.

... The idea of valuable property, above your head and even above existing buildings. I thought it was fascinating how there were so many older buildings that they had developed right on top of. Or that say a church parking lot can still stay, but you build on the property that exists in the air 10 feet above it. The church still owns the ground property for their parking needs, but they can lease out the air property above to developers.

This idea would be great for much of the surface parking in south downtown.

mrB
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 10:33:32 pm »

quote:

Cathedral Square would be a great benefit to southside Downtown. My suggestion is to take it a step higher.

Let's bulldoze Hwy75 between US244 on the north and Hwy51/64 on the south. It's not needed, you can still go around the CBD via the highway system to the west. The CROSSTOWN can exit 1st/2nd at Kenosha into the Greenwood/Ballpark/Brady/BlueDome districts. The BA [51/64] can exit/enter on 13th at Detroit or Cincinnati into the southside district of downtown. Or further west at Cheyenne/Denver or Houston at 11th.

A gateway into the CBD could be developed along Cheyenne/Denver at 11th. A gateway into the Entertainment District [EnDi] could be developed on 1st/2nd at Kenosha. Detroit and Cincinnati at 13th could be the gateway into the south downtown [SoDo] Residential Park District.

Mixed-use, 3-story+ walk-ups, residential and walkable retail [grocer/meat mkts, etc] could develop north along Boston/Cincinnati/Detroit towards Cathederal Square, the CBD and EnDi.

When Hwy75 between US244 on the north and Hwy51/64 on the south is bulldozed. We now have land available to make Tulsa's very own Madison Avenue Park [just west of existing Madison Ave.] or enlarging Central Park!

click map to enlarge>>

This new park running for 11 blocks, north and south would re-connect the Pearl District and its residential neighborhoods to Downtown. Thus making 3rd and 6th streets prime areas for growth and redevelopment. Walkable, high density residential as far east as TU. Just think of the blend of residential and retail that could grow in intensity from Delaware Ave all the way west to Downtown.

Well, just on man's opinion. I could not make it to PLANiTulsa's last meeting, but I'm planning on making one again soon and see if this 'PARK' can make it into the CompPlan.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 10:41:21 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mrB

quote:

Cathedral Square would be a great benefit to southside Downtown. My suggestion is to take it a step higher.

Let's bulldoze Hwy75 between US244 on the north and Hwy51/64 on the south. It's not needed, you can still go around the CBD via the highway system to the west. The CROSSTOWN can exit 1st/2nd at Kenosha into the Greenwood/Ballpark/Brady/BlueDome districts. The BA [51/64] can exit/enter on 13th at Detroit or Cincinnati into the southside district of downtown. Or further west at Cheyenne/Denver or Houston at 11th.

A gateway into the CBD could be developed along Cheyenne/Denver at 11th. A gateway into the Entertainment District [EnDi] could be developed on 1st/2nd at Kenosha. Detroit and Cincinnati at 13th could be the gateway into the south downtown [SoDo] Residential Park District.

Mixed-use, 3-story+ walk-ups, residential and walkable retail [grocer/meat mkts, etc] could develop north along Boston/Cincinnati/Detroit towards Cathederal Square, the CBD and EnDi.

When Hwy75 between US244 on the north and Hwy51/64 on the south is bulldozed. We now have land available to make Tulsa's very own Madison Avenue Park [just west of existing Madison Ave.] or enlarging Central Park!

click map to enlarge>>

This new park running for 11 blocks, north and south would re-connect the Pearl District and its residential neighborhoods to Downtown. Thus making 3rd and 6th streets prime areas for growth and redevelopment. Walkable, high density residential as far east as TU. Just think of the blend of residential and retail that could grow in intensity from Delaware Ave all the way west to Downtown.

Well, just on man's opinion. I could not make it to PLANiTulsa's last meeting, but I'm planning on making one again soon and see if this 'PARK' can make it into the CompPlan.

That won't happen (bulldozing the highway) without a federal nod to do so.  That part of the highway is an unsigned interstate (I-444) and it is maintained with federal funds.

Plus, it displaced me when I was 6; I lived at 14th and Elgin and that leg of the IDL going in required our homes to be bulldozed.  It better not get it again.  [Cheesy]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 01:31:01 pm »

If you guys are interested in the Cathedral Square concept, then you need to be sure and check out the Project for Public Spaces website: www.pps.org

Be sure and read:10 Principles for Creating Successful Squares

As Tulsa continues to prove, you can't just plunk a park or plaza into an area and expect it to thrive.  (Note all the hideous "public spaces" downtown...that are rarely, if ever used except by homeless people.)  Public spaces should tie in with the surrounding areas.  You need symbiosis and synergies.  It can't just be an island.  It has to be an organic part of everything around it.  (Unfortunately the 6th and Main park doesn't have any connection to its surroundings.  It'll be nice during Mayfest, I guess.)

The Project for Public Spaces is a cool website with lots of great ideas...that Tulsa can't seem to grasp.

A square full of art and fountains and beauty surrounded by restaurants, bars, shops, galleries, and lofts...all serviced by transit?  Now you're talkin!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org