A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:26:41 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man made Beach Lagoon anyone?  (Read 7586 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 05:53:09 pm »

Randi Miller is not afraid to wade in the river
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 07:02:55 pm »

I wouldnt drink or wash my dishes in aaany river or lake. But I would swim in many. I dont think people should swim in parts of the arkansas, you never know when the dam may release more water, plus there may be metal pipes or such that have yet to be cleaned up.  Its not so polluted it would hurt you to wade in it or get the water on you, but a big hunk of metal, or submerged tree could do some damage.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
JoesWife
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 04:40:08 am »

Beaches as in white pearly sandy beach.. Palm trees etc. These man made beach are all ard the world.. for eg:
to name a few. Unfortunately, I'm not able to upload the pics here.. I guess you guys can google on it..

Ocean Dome, Japan - world's largest indoor water park
http://www.excitris.com/2005/09/27/seagaia-ocean-dome/

Southbank beach, Brisbane - Man made beach
really beautiful
http://goaustralia.about.com/od/qldsightseeing/a/southbank2.htm

Sentosa Island, Singapore - Palawan beach lagoon
and Tanjong Beach
http://wikitravel.org/en/Singapore/Sentosa

Tulsa should have stuffs like this.. it'll be great. I don't know if Tulsa is up to this.. but it'll boost Tulsa Tourism!

waterboy
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 11:11:20 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Although I got two answers by phone today regarding humans coming into contact with the water in the Arkansas River downstream from the Keystone dam from the Health Department today, I am still waiting for the written response from the Tulsa City/County Health Department on these and other questions regarding the water in the Arkansas River between the Keystone Dam and the Bridge on Memorial Drive in Bixby.

Email is something like this...

Can you help me by answering a few questions I have regarding the quality of the water in the Arkansas River near Riverside Drive in Tulsa? I did not find the answers on your web site.

Me and my some of my friends were wanting to go swimming in the Arkansas River before the big construction projects begin on the Islands there.  We have always thought it would be fun to have a picnic out on one of the sand bars, and were wondering if the water in the river is okay to drink or to wash our cups out with, and then drink from them.  

Specifically the area between the 11th street bridge and the low water dam area. I believe it is or once was called Zink Lake.  Also if we are swimming in Zink Lake and swallow some of the water, will we get sick from it?  

We were also wanting to do some Cat Fishing on the Arkansas River down by that railroad bridge.  Are the Gar and other fish caught in the river okay to eat by humans?  

I have seen signs along the River that state "Do Not Contact the Water In This Area"

They were by the Amphitheater on the West Bank of the Arkansas River.  Do you know exactly what they read, and why they are there?

1. What is the status on human contact with water in the Arkansas River in the vicinity of Riverside Drive from Downtown and onto the Bridge on Memorial Drive near Bixby?

2. Is it okay for human beings to swim and have contact with that water?  

2a. Why was the KRMG River Raft Race dis-continued?  
2b Was it because of contamination of the water and haveing human beings in the river?

3. Do you approve of people eating FISH caught in that area of the river?  If not, what are the dangers?

4. Does Sand Springs dump treated waste water in the Arkansas?

4. a. Has Sand Springs Waste Water Treatment Plant ever dumpped untreated sewage into the Arkansas River?

5. Does the Waste Water Treatment Plant located near I-44 and the Arkansas River ever dumpped untreated sewage water into the Arkansas River?

5. a. Has that plant ever exceeded it's volume to treat and dumped untreated Sewage and or Sludge into the River when the volume exceeds their capacity to process?  

I await your answers...

Good luck with those answers from any government employee who
(a.) has any factual knowledge
(b.) has been on his job more than 2 weeks
(c.) has actual experience with or contact with the river.

I spent three years operating on/in/around the river in those areas. Always was in contact in some way, occasionally ingested it. One of my employees used to swallow it upstream from SS on hot days. I had cuts, burns, scrapes from operating boats exposed to the river. If anything they healed faster than expected. No rashes, no weird physical maladies. We're all OK in spite of the posted signs, which cover someone's butt for sure, but have little specifics behind them. For God's sake don't ingest the water from 11th to 21st or near Jenks after a rain or during a drought but incidental contact is not dangerous. One would wonder if you get out to visit nature much.
jdb
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 12:24:17 pm »

"I want to inbibe/inhale what ever you have nearby." - Watery

Just good ole Riverwater - on the rocks.

Your welcome to come join in, I get it by the bucketfull when the corp. finally decides to let some more water out.

Cheers, jdb
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org