A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:48:01 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa panhandling policy?  (Read 13724 times)
inteller
« on: October 20, 2006, 11:46:18 am »

I forget, do panhandlers here require a daily permit or is it completely illegal and punishable?

Reason I ask is that I saw the most awesome thing EVAR in terms of a panhandler.  I was sitting in Arby's watching some scum on the corner pestering EVERYONE.  Then, I see this guy dressed up like a maintenance worker (not security uniform) come over close to the scumbag.  I think he motioned the scumbag over and then he picked up his walkie talkie/phone and said something.  I dont know if he was BS'ing or actually calling someone to get the bum but the scumbag took off west on 4th....IT WAS GREAT!  Now it makes me want to stop and do that everytime I get hassled downtown.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 11:53:57 am »

My favorites are watching a shift change and when they are wearing clothes with my employers logo on it...

So did the panhandler run off or what?
SoonerRiceGrad
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 01:36:45 pm »

So uh...where do you work, sgrizzle?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 01:44:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SoonerRiceGrad

So uh...where do you work, sgrizzle?

A utility company, a local government-subsidized educational institution, and a local hard-copy news company. (Not all full time obviously) I should switch to panhandling, less work.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 02:11:10 pm »

I work at the stop light off the eastbound 41st St. exit from I-44.  I'm the guy with a back-pack, three-legged dog, and cardboard sign.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 02:23:11 pm »

You got a backpack, a dog AND a sign?

Braggard.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 02:38:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Braggard.

Uh oh, I forgot you were on here.  That's not violating the sign ordinance as long as I don't stake it into the ground, right?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 03:01:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Braggard.

You get that once you reach "gold" level. Platinum level gets you a wheelchair.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 07:48:27 pm »

I am in Atlanta for the next few days. I walked around the downtown today for about 3 hours.

I was asked for money at least 20 times.

I just keep walking, but I have this real desire to tell them all my troubles, just to make them feel better.

I own a house and cars and got debt. They're even. They should give me a quarter.

Power is nothing till you use it.
OurTulsa
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 11:37:57 pm »

My favorite panhandler is the guy that wears winter clothing all year around and runs a path on 5th between Main St. and Denver Ave.  His base seems to be right in front of RM's office building.  That guy has asked me for change probably 100 times over the past year.  I've gotton to the point where I respond to him before he asks.  But I am amused by him actually asking for money while taking sips from his beer can.  Michael, we need to find out this guys name and informally rename this stretch of street after him.  We'll call 5th/Cheyenne his corner.

BTW, I noticed the bus bench from that corner is gone.  Guess someone got sick of it being used for nap-time.

In answer to the original question, I believe Kiah found the ordinance addressing panhandling.  I think it said asking for money is ok until you get aggressive.  

jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 07:47:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

I forget, do panhandlers here require a daily permit or is it completely illegal and punishable?

As far as I know I do not think it it.Downtown Tulsa is bascily bumsville with the soup kitchen and salvation army places.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
jdb
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 12:23:54 pm »

New Bums don't accost me due to my attire, and the regular bums have all been set straight (go nose to nose and tell them harshly, to remember your face as one person who will never hand out even a dime) but  back in the day my response was, "I don't know." and I just keep walking.
It shook them up.

Other fav. was, "I was just about to ask you for a few bucks...".

If your a 911 kinda guy then you can call the cops if the mooch gets aggressive, but then you have to stand around during the response time.

Walking around and asking for money does not require a permit, nor is it illegal.

Loitering, is the legal loop.

CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 04:40:06 pm »

SECTION 1407. AGGRESSIVE BEGGING PROHIBITED
A. For the purpose of this section the following words and phrases shall have
the meanings given herein.
1. Beg means to stop or accost another or direct persons or animals to stop or
accost another or direct persons or animals to stop or accost another, and to ask for money
or other thing of value, either by words, bodily gestures, signs or other devices.
2. Public place is an area open to the general public, including but not limited
to streets, sidewalks, bridges, alleys, plazas, parks, driveways, parking lots, and buildings
open to the general public, and the doorways and entrances to buildings or dwellings and
the grounds enclosing them.
3. Hinder or obstruct means to walk, stand, sit, or lie in such a manner as to
block or attempt to block or restrict passage by another or to a require person approaching
to take evasive action to avoid physical contact.
4. Repeatedly means two or more times within a period of one (1) hour.
B. It shall be unlawful and an offense for any person to aggressively beg as
defined by this section. A person is guilty of aggressive begging if he or she:
1. Repeatedly begs in a manner that hinders or obstructs the free passage of
any person in a public place; or
2. By physical action while in the act of begging, intentionally causes or
attempts to cause another person to reasonably fear imminent force or violence upon his
person or upon property in his immediate possession, or commission of any criminal act
upon his person or upon property in his immediate possession.
Ord. No. 17023

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 04:46:11 pm »

Wow, has there been such a problem with the homeless harassing dogs, cats, and alligators for them to write in "persons OR animals" as not to be harassed?  Cheesy

AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 12:32:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jamesrage

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

As far as I know I do not think it it.Downtown Tulsa is bascily bumsville with the soup kitchen and salvation army places.

As with everything else you post on here, you are so wrong as to be an outsized cartoon charicature.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org