A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:41:37 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inhofe crashes plane again  (Read 18689 times)
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 12:09:55 pm »

How does a man in his eighties manage to pass a flight physical?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 12:14:07 pm »

If the TV news doesn't pick it up it's not newsworthy? Uh...ok?  Whatevs....

Pardon me.  I thought you wrote that the TV did pick up on it before they knew it was Inhofe.
The initial report filed by the TV station at that point they didn't know who the pilot was.

Whatever right back at you.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 12:16:45 pm »

How does a man in his eighties manage to pass a flight physical?

He might actually be reasonably healthy.  2nd and 3rd Class physicals are not as tough as the 1st Class required of airline pilots (and some others).

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 12:45:48 pm »

Pardon me.  I thought you wrote that the TV did pick up on it before they knew it was Inhofe.
Whatever right back at you.

I did...which directly contradicted your notion that it wouldn't have been newsworthy if it were anyone other than Inhofe.  Pay attention!  Smiley

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 12:47:32 pm »

He might actually be reasonably healthy.  2nd and 3rd Class physicals are not as tough as the 1st Class required of airline pilots (and some others).

He's also pushing a bill for the FAA to do away with the 3rd Class physical if I'm not mistaken.

Edit:  He is.  Or was.  Not sure on the status of this bill...

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2015/february/26/medical-reform-legislation-introduced-in-house-and-senate

Kinda sketchy if you want my opinion on it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 12:51:46 pm »

I did...which directly contradicted your notion that it wouldn't have been newsworthy if it were anyone other than Inhofe.  Pay attention!  Smiley

Pay attention yourself.  I made the statement that it just plain wasn't newsworthy in my reply about it being a slow day.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 12:58:38 pm »

Pay attention yourself.  I made the statement that it just plain wasn't newsworthy in my reply about it being a slow day.

So are you saying you didn't say this?

"This would not be newsworthy if it had been anyone other than Inhofe."

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 01:03:32 pm »

He's also pushing a bill for the FAA to do away with the 3rd Class physical if I'm not mistaken.

Edit:  He is.  Or was.  Not sure on the status of this bill...

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2015/february/26/medical-reform-legislation-introduced-in-house-and-senate

Kinda sketchy if you want my opinion on it.

Once again we disagree.  

I think getting rid of the 3rd class medical for private pilots is a good idea.  The new status, as I understand it, is that pilots will still have to see a private physician on a regular basis regarding their flying but not an AME.  There are a few other caveats like having passed a 3rd class physical within the past 10 years and not having failed one.  The original goal was to have private pilots fly with a current driver's license.  I believe Light Sport pilots can presently do that.  Glider pilots and balloon pilots are not required to have a FAA Medical.  There are also some aircraft weight and number of passengers limits.  Altitude would be limited to 18,000 ft MSL so no flying in Class A airspace. If you don't want those restrictions, you could still opt to get the Medical.

Not everyone is flying FA-18s.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 01:06:35 pm »

Once again we disagree.  

I think getting rid of the 3rd class medical for private pilots is a good idea.  The new status, as I understand it, is that pilots will still have to see a private physician on a regular basis regarding their flying but not an AME.  There are a few other caveats like having passed a 3rd class physical within the past 10 years and not having failed one.  The original goal was to have private pilots fly with a current driver's license.  I believe Light Sport pilots can presently do that.  Glider pilots and balloon pilots are not required to have a FAA Medical.  There are also some aircraft weight and number of passengers limits.  Altitude would be limited to 18,000 ft MSL so no flying in Class A airspace. If you don't want those restrictions, you could still opt to get the Medical.

Not everyone is flying FA-18s.

I'm not saying I disagree with it.  I'm saying it's a little sketchy given who wanted to introduce it and given his recent flying 'record'.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 01:18:00 pm »

So are you saying you didn't say this?

"This would not be newsworthy if it had been anyone other than Inhofe."

Is there something you cannot understand about
Disagree.  Just because it was on the TV doesn't mean it was really newsworthy.  It must have been a slow day.
or are you conveniently ignoring it?  I hate to quote myself but you evidently misunderstood it as you quoted it too.

You had asked:
If the TV news doesn't pick it up it's not newsworthy?

I will try to spell it out for you in case you are hitting the Marshall's a bit early today.

I believe that just because the TV covers something doesn't really make it newsworthy, in my opinion.  If the TV doesn't cover it, it doesn't mean it is not newsworthy, in my opinion.  I am not asking you to agree.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 01:18:58 pm »

I'm not saying I disagree with it.  I'm saying it's a little sketchy given who wanted to introduce it and given his recent flying 'record'.

There are a lot more people behind it than Inhofe.  That removes the "sketchy" for me.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 01:36:14 pm »

I heard on the Ch6 news today the the airport manager stated that Inhofe departed the runway to avoid hitting a deer.  I would probably have done the same, if able, with only that information.  About 15 years ago, I was with a friend when we hit a deer on the runway.  We had no time to take evasive action.  The deer collapsed the nose gear.  $87,000 and several months later the plane was flying again.

Deer on the runway are not to be messed with.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 01:40:25 pm »

Is there something you cannot understand aboutor are you conveniently ignoring it?  I hate to quote myself but you evidently misunderstood it as you quoted it too.

You had asked:
I will try to spell it out for you in case you are hitting the Marshall's a bit early today.

I believe that just because the TV covers something doesn't really make it newsworthy, in my opinion.  If the TV doesn't cover it, it doesn't mean it is not newsworthy, in my opinion.  I am not asking you to agree.

Thanks for...explaining that?

Enjoy your holiday.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 01:42:56 pm »

I heard on the Ch6 news today the the airport manager stated that Inhofe departed the runway to avoid hitting a deer.  I would probably have done the same, if able, with only that information.  About 15 years ago, I was with a friend when we hit a deer on the runway.  We had no time to take evasive action.  The deer collapsed the nose gear.  $87,000 and several months later the plane was flying again.

Deer on the runway are not to be messed with.

Agree with that.  Flying into Pogue with a friend we saw some deer dart across the runway just as we'd departed to the taxiway.

I guess my big problem with Inhofe still is the way he handled the Port Isabel airport incident.  It's pretty difficult to miss the big yellow Xs on runways to denote closure.  I remember the big discussion on here about it.  Had that been an average joe with an ASEL, that average joe would no longer have the paper.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 01:52:01 pm »

Agree with that.  Flying into Pogue with a friend we saw some deer dart across the runway just as we'd departed to the taxiway.

I guess my big problem with Inhofe still is the way he handled the Port Isabel airport incident.  It's pretty difficult to miss the big yellow Xs on runways to denote closure.  I remember the big discussion on here about it.  Had that been an average joe with an ASEL, that average joe would no longer have the paper.

Finally, something we can agree on.  Landing on a closed runway, especially with workers present, was not entirely brilliant.  I think average Joe would have eventually gotten back in the air but it would have been a lot more difficult.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org