A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:04:50 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cabela's in Bixby & Sand Springs  (Read 36251 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« on: October 03, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »

Heard thru the grapevine that a Cabela's store is being planned for the 121st and Memorial area and also in the Sand Springs Vision 2025 redevelopment corridor. Anyone else heard that?

Seems like an odd choice for this area to begin with...then to put 2 of them in. Just doesn't sound right to me.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 01:05:40 pm »

One Tulsa official was pushing to get one near coweta. Cabelas is another bass pro type store so 2 would be doubtful. It might also be a bit large for Sand Springs.

I've decided 121st & Memorial is a mythological location. More stores are being built there than all of california.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 05:40:38 pm »

Cabelas blows bass pro off the map......

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 07:19:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

Cabelas blows bass pro off the map......

That's what I've heard. The catalog (which I'm on the mailing list for inexplicably) seems to go a lot deeper into hunting equipment that bass pro (aka tracker boat dealership) goes.
Cubs
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:28:40 am »

Hmmmm.... I woulda thought they would build near the river.
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 07:56:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by Cubs

Hmmmm.... I woulda thought they would build near the river.

get out a map[Shocked)], 121st/memorial is about as close to the river as you can get and not be in a flood zone.

that is a horrible location if true though, memorial isn't designed to handle that kind of traffic.

Whether it is designed to or not, memorial is about to triple it's traffic load because of the changes and growth that is happening in Bixby.

I heard a rumor from multiple sources that Cabela's was going to be built in the area of Hwy 75 and Hwy 20. Evidently, there are plans to build a few shopping areas because of the explosion of growth occurring around Skiatook and Collinsville.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 09:18:30 pm »

If cabelas was to build on 75, they should build on the south side of 81st. Get all the benefits of the new infrastructure at Tulsa Hills.
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 09:34:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

If cabelas was to build on 75, they should build on the south side of 81st. Get all the benefits of the new infrastructure at Tulsa Hills.

I wish they would so Tulsa could get the sales tax revenue.
Jammie
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 07:34:39 am »

So Cabelas is heading your direction, too? I'm not a hunter and don't personally care for it and also not a fisherman, but we've been to the Cabelas store here. (Mitchell, SD) It really is something to see and you wouldn't believe the people who make the store one of their major stops while they're heading for their final destination. Ours is right along I-90 so it gets a lot of business. We walk out in that direction frequently and the parking lot is always full. They do have a very nice pond out there that they use to demonstrate their boats.

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
Cubs
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 12:49:30 am »

quote:
get out a map, 121st/memorial is about as close to the river as you can get and not be in a flood zone

Oh sorry ... I forgot the river went through Bixby. (shows you how often I go to Bixby). For some reason I have had this idea that they were going to build a Cabelas in Jenks near the Aquarium, south of the Turnpike, but that was just some stupid idea of mine.
NellieBly
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 03:11:09 pm »

When they built Woodland Hills Mall, 71st and Memorial certainly wasn't ready for the traffic. You know how they do things here, build it up create a huge traffic mess, then spend four or five years building the roads. Memorial is a 4-lane road with left turn lanes well past (south of) 121st street. It seems more capable of handling the traffic than most other south Tulsa roads.
SoonerRiceGrad
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 07:18:50 pm »

We're waiting for a tentative announcement of one in Moore, but then again, aren't we all!

But two for Tulsa? At first that sounds plain silly, sort of like the "Double Decker Wal Mart", but actually Omaha, the birth place of Cabela's I think, is a little smaller than us and has two stores.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 10:59:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SoonerRiceGrad

We're waiting for a tentative announcement of one in Moore, but then again, aren't we all!

But two for Tulsa? At first that sounds plain silly, sort of like the "Double Decker Wal Mart", but actually Omaha, the birth place of Cabela's I think, is a little smaller than us and has two stores.

Actually, according to Cabela's website, there are currently NO Cabela's in Omaha.  One is scheduled to open November 3, with no plans for a second.

BixB
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 12:45:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller
*** go to Bixby sometime...the road changes for the worst past 111th.  Bixby doesn't allow certain left hand turns at all.  Memorial is a total wreck in bixby city limits.  this is typical of all the parasite burbs though, the good roads run right up to their borders.  ***

Not sure what the basis is for your statement, Inteller.  Memorial from just south of 111th to south of 131st (as the bridge approach begins) is 5 lanes with an unrestricted center turn lane. Also the portion from 151st to 161st that actually passes near downtown Bixby was widened to 5 lanes in the last couple of years, with a controlled turn light at the road leading to the High School.  There's not really any need for it to be wider farther south than that.  

The only portion with any real problem from a design standpoint is the area from the south end of the Bridge to 151st. That 1/2 mile stretch does definitely need to be widened to incorporate a turn lane.  Besides that the only difficulty with Memorial through Bixby is the volume of traffic at rush hour caused by the population growth spurred on by Bixby's great school system.
SoonerRiceGrad
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 07:34:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Oil Capital

quote:
Originally posted by SoonerRiceGrad

Actually, according to Cabela's website, there are currently NO Cabela's in Omaha.  One is scheduled to open November 3, with no plans for a second.

My source is http://eomaha.com [Wink].
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org