A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:01:08 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1986 Arkansas River Flood  (Read 12515 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 05:21:18 pm »

I remember the "flood siren" too.  I was at TU, and we heard this weird siren, so we all went downstairs, thinking it was a new tornado alarm.  Then somebody talked to somebody who said it was flood siren (which we'd never heard)...so we all laughed and decided we should all go upstairs instead.

It was incredible to see the water so close to the bottom of the bridges.  I remember they actually got a train with cars full of gravel (or something heavy) and parked them on the tracks that go across the river...to add weight to the bridge to help (I guess) hold it in place.

One of my brother's friends lived at Westport, and I believe he said that the lower units at Westport flooded.
riverrat
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 12:28:50 pm »

People wanting to spend money on river developement need to be reminded about the 1986 flood! Also they should talk to the corp of engineers at the Keystone damn.They have told me that if more water than the damn can hold comes down the river again they will open the flood gates again!
 I asked about all of us down stream and was told the corps main intrest is the preservation of the damn, first!
 So i would figure another flood is possible.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 08:02:06 pm »

The preservation of the dam is definitely more important.  Can you imagine the destruction a Keystone dam break would cause downstream?  It would completely devastate Tulsa and all of the communities along the Arkansas.  The '86 flood was a 300 year flood event and the developers of The Channels are saying it can withstand a 300 year flood.  What about the 500 year flood?

Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 05:49:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

The preservation of the dam is definitely more important.  Can you imagine the destruction a Keystone dam break would cause downstream?  It would completely devastate Tulsa and all of the communities along the Arkansas.  The '86 flood was a 300 year flood event and the developers of The Channels are saying it can withstand a 300 year flood.  What about the 500 year flood?

Or a 600 year?
cks511
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 06:51:44 am »

LOL. A few years ago in Indy they had a 100 year flood and 300 year flood all within five weeks of each other.  Go figure.  So 300 years ago what did they control.  No answer needed.
waterboy
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 07:09:19 am »

The newspaper ran a story about 10yrs later describing how that natural flood event was really a human error event. It was in fact avoidable.

Its not the floods I worry about on the river. They are inevitable. We can minimize their damage. Its the belief that we have so much trust in our control systems that we can develop in such a way as to increase risk downstream. Any dam can break, nature can overwhelm a dam, humans can make mistakes that make the dam ineffective. Prudent planning takes that into account. That is why the corps makes it so difficult to make changes to the river.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 10:49:43 am »

There was some equipment failures in 1986 that contributed to the flood.

Two rivers flow into Keystone lake, the Cimmaron and the Arkansas. There are flow monitors at key points that give the Corps of Engineers the data they need to control flooding.

The flow gauges on the Cimarron malfunctioned and didn't report how much rain was occuring in Central Oklahoma and the lake started filling up too fast.

The story ten years ago also said that the Corps was trying to hold off releases because the Bixby area was flooding from the north the few days before.

In hindsight, some poor decisions were made as to when to start releasing more water and when they got in trouble with Keystone dam filling up too fast, the Corps was forced to open the gates to a record 310,000 cubic feet per second.

Power is nothing till you use it.
BixB
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 10:45:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael
The story ten years ago also said that the Corps was trying to hold off releases because the Bixby area was flooding from the north the few days before.

In hindsight, some poor decisions were made as to when to start releasing more water and when they got in trouble with Keystone dam filling up too fast, the Corps was forced to open the gates to a record 310,000 cubic feet per second.

I think very few people appreciate the difficulties in controlling a dynamic river system.  

Consider that in making decisions on releases you are dealing not only with rainfall and flow upstream, but the same factors immediately at the control structure, in the downstream channel, and in all of the converging rivers and streams, and that the amount and duration of rainfall at every location may be differing wildly.  

Often the question isn't how to keep everyone from flooding, but who gets flooded and by how much.  Don't underestimate the difficulty of making such decisions.

I always love the people (like at Eufaula during the recent drought) who seem to think the Corps can control the weather instead of just the dams.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 01:31:53 pm »

My dad took a few pictures of the pedestrian bridge before he was forced to leave:

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 01:50:11 pm »

Geez, those photos raised the hair on my neck.  I could have gone a lifetime without seeing that again.  I work about a half mile west of the river on 41st St.  I need to ask my boss if it came over the west bank down here.  Seems like there was some flooding in Garden City.

I've had this picture in my mind since RM said the release was taken up to 310,000 CFM, of some poor guy wincing, covering, his eyes, and saying "310?Huh??!!!!! Okay boss" as he reached for the lever [Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 07:46:59 pm »

Here is a letter to the editor that ran in today's Tulsa World in the reader's forum section.

It was written by my mother...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/OpinionStory.asp?ID=061001_Op_G4_Lesso2593

Here is the text.

Lessons learned from the 1986 flood
By ANN PATTON
10/1/2006

Tulsans have reason to celebrate. This week marks 20 years since Tulsa's last major flood.

People with long memories will know how remarkable that is. In the 1970s and '80s, Tulsa was flooding about every other year. Tulsa County earned the embarrassing distinction of having nine federal flood disasters in 15 years, the nation's worst flood record. Thousands of houses were ruined. People died. Our national reputation was a joke.

In late September 1986, the remnants of southwestern Mexico's Hurricane Paine parked uphill from Tulsa and dumped nearly 2 feet of rain northwest of Keystone Lake. The river swelled. The Corps of Engineers had to open Keystone Dam's floodgates and send a torrent downstream -- through Sand Springs, Tulsa, Jenks and Bixby.

It was not the first flood along the Arkansas River -- in fact, the river flooded every few years for most of Tulsa's history. But 1986 was the first serious Arkansas River flood at Tulsa since Keystone Dam was completed in '64. Popular thought held that the river would never flood again -- although the corps warned that Keystone could overflow every 25 years, more or less.

The crisis lasted a week and at its peak, about 300,000 cubic feet per second of water swept through Tulsa.

While the dam was safe, no one knew how high the water would rise and whether the sand levees (built quickly in World War II) would hold at Sand Springs, Tulsa and Jenks. The corps feared a catastrophic failure of the levee system. The Sand Springs levee was breached but volunteers managed to plug it.

Thousands were evacuated. Hundreds stuffed sandbags -- with little effect -- along the river, including in the bowl that was Riverside Drive south of 21st Street. On the west bank, the river swamped Garden City up to the rooftops, and the trapped, polluted water lingered for days, like a mini-New Orleans.

More than 1,800 homes and businesses went under water. Tulsa County damages were estimated at $63.5 million (in '86 dollars), $32.5 million at Sand Springs and $13.4 million at Bixby. The same week, almost all streams in northeastern Oklahoma and southeastern Kansas rose out of their banks causing $283 million in damages, the corps reported.

When the water began to recede, it was clear that River Parks had gone almost under water. Officials hosed off the grass and the joggers were back on track. That narrow, green band of River Parks gave us the needed margin of safety.

There are at least two reasons that we haven't had a major flood in Tulsa in two decades. We have learned to build more wisely, more respectful of the natural laws of water and land, and monster rains have not cycled our way.

There are new reasons to worry about big storms since lakes, dams and dikes don't last forever. Keystone Lake is slowly silting in and a filled bathtub can't hold much water. The dam and levees are aging, and buildings are creeping closer to the capricious river, which some mistakenly believe has been tamed.

The '86 flood proved that the Arkansas River needs its channel and banks open to carry floodwaters. The Arkansas River drains 22,000 square miles of land above Tulsa. Experts know heavy rains are possible and a worst-case scenario flood at Tulsa could be bigger than the one in 1986.

The flood showed that it's possible to live with a river, but you have to live by its rules -- because, as they say in Argentina: "The river always wins."

Are we in danger of forgetting? Hubris rises in dry years.

Those who remember the '86 flood celebrate the free flow of the Arkansas River and the peaceful, green fringe alongside it. May Tulsans continue to respect and preserve the river so we can enjoy it for generations to come.

Ann Patton, Tulsa, is a writer and consultant who was part of the team that created Tulsa's award-winning floodplain management program.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 08:45:46 am »

Awwwright Mom!

Nice piece RM.  I take it from her words that she's not a proponent of building islands on the river?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2006, 09:16:25 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

The newspaper ran a story about 10yrs later describing how that natural flood event was really a human error event. It was in fact avoidable.

Its not the floods I worry about on the river. They are inevitable. We can minimize their damage. Its the belief that we have so much trust in our control systems that we can develop in such a way as to increase risk downstream. Any dam can break, nature can overwhelm a dam, humans can make mistakes that make the dam ineffective. Prudent planning takes that into account. That is why the corps makes it so difficult to make changes to the river.

I get it.  Water doesn't cause flooding.  People cause flooding.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2006, 10:38:25 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Awwwright Mom!

Nice piece RM.  I take it from her words that she's not a proponent of building islands on the river?

I think she is probably opposed to building anything in the floodway. Building in the floodplain is one thing, but floodway is another.

I also sense that she and many others are real proud of the Tulsa flood mitigation program and would hate to see the reputation shattered if we then have to rescue people from the middle of the river.

rwarn17588
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 11:02:56 am »

Yup. Well said.

That's why I've been very cool to this islands idea from the beginning (in addition to the costs, of course).

Because it, in essence, isolates itself from the mainland, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org