A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:50:46 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gators on prowl in BA  (Read 2450 times)
SoonerRiceGrad
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:02:22 am »

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0706/347946.html

Alligator Spotted In Broken Arrow Pond
Thursday July 27, 2006 1:55pm Reporter: Burt Mummolo Posted By: Kevin King
Instant Message this Article
___ NewsChannel 8 Interact ___

• Signup for eNews Alerts
• Printable Version
• E-Mail This Story
Tulsa - You've heard of animals on the loose -- but how about this one -- a four-foot long alligator has been spotted in a Broken Arrow retention pond. Local police have called the state Department of Wildlife to help catch the creature. NewsChannel 8's Burt Mummolo went with authorities as they searched for the reptile.

The sightings have occurred around the Battle Creek Golf Course near 51st Street South and 145th East Avenue. Somewhere beyond the tall grass, in the brown of the murky retention pond, it lives.

"The creature is supposed to be four feet in length."

It's a creature that has spooked construction workers and city councilors alike.

"To my surprise, I saw it," says Tom Chatterton. "He just kinda raised up and floated for a few seconds and went back under. He was pretty casual and calm and at home."

But, at home near a new development of homes?

"We don't really have any experts in the field of alligators or caymans," says Broken Arrow Police Major Mark Irwin -- not to be confused with the 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin. "So, we contacted the state Department of Wildlife."

A search Wednesday night came up empty. They were back out Thursday afternoon.

"Holy mother of hope! Something just jumped in! A big frog."

For the record, big frogs look a lot like alligators when you've got alligators on the brain.

At the Battle Creek Golf Course next door, there is a new meaning to the phrase 'water hazard'.

"If the ball goes into the water, I don't think I'll be going in there."

And, authorities say neither should anyone else, especially kids and small pets.

"Definitely," says Irwin. "A little small dog doesn't see him, decides he wants to go down to the water, sure. He's fair game."

Authorities believe the alligator may have been someone's pet and had gotten too large to care for. So, they dumped it at the pond.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org