A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:50 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilcrease Expressway: Fact or Fiction  (Read 11600 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: June 02, 2006, 08:59:04 am »

I keep hearing that someday the gilcrease expressway will be complete. As of now there is a 1 mile stretch from I-44 near berryhill and there is the stretch also known as Highway 11 that goes by the airport.

My questions:
Will these ever meet?

When are they gonna start on it?

When are they planning on finishing it?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:39:35 am »

As Newest Phase Of Gilcrease Expansion Opens, Officials Look To Fund Next Phase

http://www.newson6.com/story/20559254/officials-look-to-fund-next-project-as

TULSA, Oklahoma - A new section of the Gilcrease Expressway opened Thursday, and there are plans to keep building, as soon as the city puts more money into it.

The Vision2 plan had money earmarked for the Gilcrease, but voters turned it down.

The mayor said the state and other governments are ready to put money into the plan and he wants Tulsa to step up to the plate.

This new section of sparsely traveled highway cuts through some of the biggest hills in Tulsa.

The city blazed a trail through here, just completing another 2.2 miles of the Gilcrease Expressway.

It's been in the plans for decades and could take that long again to complete.

Tulsa's mayor hopes not.

"It's a very important component, because we have to open up our city to commerce and residential growth if we're to continue as a beacon for prosperity and growth," said Mayor Dewey Bartlett.

Bartlett has made progress on the Gilcrease, which was one of his main goals, and he wants money for the next section of it in whatever funding package comes next.

"And that will open up this whole area in both directions. It's a very, very important component of the Gilcrease Expressway," Bartlett said.

The Gilcrease stretches from Tulsa International Airport, west to the Tisdale Expressway. The newest section to open was just west of there, completed the highway to 41st West Avenue.

The rest of it will come in phases, including a bridge over the river that would take the Gilcrease all the way down to a connection with I-44.

The western section of the Gilcrease crosses into a quiet corner of Osage County. With the new access and the expectation of better roads ahead, that could change.

"I think you're going to be surprised, you may only see two or three cars while we're standing here," said Gary Ridley, with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. "I think if you stand here in a year or two, that's going

to be different. We won't be standing on the on the centerline of the road. We will see development up here. It just has to, it's a beautiful area."

Where the city builds next depends on the funding, but it will be north of the river, either north or south of 412, which is the next major highway that could be linked with the highway.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:55:39 pm »

It is a beautiful area with gorgeous views of both the skyline and the surrounding hills. I was coming down 41st West the morning that Barnard was burning. As tragic as that was, the sight of the clouds hanging over downtown with the sun illuminating the different colors was awesome.

Did you see the possible finish dates? Wow, way off in the future.

onward...through the fog
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:40:13 am »

http://www.drivingforwardok.com/gilcrease-expressway
rebound
City Father

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:15:39 am »

Is it just me, or is the new map on here "upside down and backwards"? North is to the right, and when you rotate it to make North "up", all the writing is upside down.   

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 10:42:26 am »

Is it just me, or is the new map on here "upside down and backwards"? North is to the right, and when you rotate it to make North "up", all the writing is upside down.   

Is it just me, or is the site completely down
rebound
City Father

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 11:00:09 am »

Is it just me, or is the site completely down

Just checked. Still up for me. 

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 12:08:52 pm »

The website page for the project is pretty funny.

-- As Rebound noted, the map has North to the right and, when positioned with North at the top, most of the labels are upside down.
-- They put a picture of Philbrook on the front page of a website about the Gilcrease Expressway?    Huh
-- They describe a loop expressway as providing "a new and more direct route to city attractions and points of interest in the Tulsa urban core."  By definition, doesn't it pretty much do the opposite?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:18:24 pm by Oil Capital » Logged

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 01:41:55 pm »

The website page for the project is pretty funny.

-- As Rebound noted, the map has North to the right and, when positioned with North at the top, most of the labels are upside down.
-- They put a picture of Philbrook on the front page of a website about the Gilcrease Expressway?    Huh
-- They describe a loop expressway as providing "a new and more direct route to city attractions and points of interest in the Tulsa urban core."  By definition, doesn't it pretty much do the opposite?

The state is not informed not do they give a crap about Tulsa. On the new designs for the I-44/US-75 interchange they label the south frontage road as Skelly Avenue instead of Skelly Drive, which is a street that they will be completely rebuilding as part of the project. How do you not know the accurate name of a road you are claiming to want to spend millions of dollars to replace?
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 02:30:15 pm »

The state is not informed not do they give a crap about Tulsa. On the new designs for the I-44/US-75 interchange they label the south frontage road as Skelly Avenue instead of Skelly Drive, which is a street that they will be completely rebuilding as part of the project. How do you not know the accurate name of a road you are claiming to want to spend millions of dollars to replace?

Link?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 03:29:40 pm »

starting on page 9
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:09 pm »

Gilcrease Expressway extension update: How much will drivers pay for toll?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/gilcrease-expressway-extension-update-how-much-will-drivers-pay-for/article_50ad32e6-595d-5879-8798-01e5e311e190.html

Tim Gatz, executive director of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority, said Monday that the toll is expected to be about $1 to $1.50 for private vehicles, with a higher rate for commercial vehicles. Motorists who use the plate-pay system, as can be used in Jenks, likely would pay more.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 06:34:01 pm »

starting on page 9

Page 9 of what?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:54 pm »

Page 9 of what?

Crap, here:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meetings/a2017/171102/Presentation.pdf

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 11:04:30 pm »

Thanks.  The good news is... They got it correct about 10 out of 12 times.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org