A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:04:34 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Tulsa Tough" - Huge Cycling Event!  (Read 30222 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: May 31, 2006, 01:25:17 pm »

This weekend, get ready for a huge cycling event called "Tulsa Tough!"  Professional and amateur cyclists from around the country will descend upon Tulsa for 3 days of Criterium racing.  Criterium racing takes place on city streets, with about a hundred riders looping around and around the course...the better for spectators to see the race.

Events will be staged from the Blue Dome, Brady, and Riverside Drive areas.  Races will be held Friday, Saturday and Sunday (June 2-4).  Rides for the rest of us include 100 mile, 75 KM, and 50 KM events which will take place on Saturday and Sunday (June 3 & 4).

For more information: www.tulsatough.com

If you'd like to help support this event (which is already on next year's pro cycling calendar), go to the website and click on "volunteer."  (I know they still need volunteers to man rest-stops, and "sag wagon" drivers for the 100 mile rides.  

Otherwise, just show up and enjoy the events!(Did I mention live music and kids stuff, too?)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:13:29 am »

IT'S BAAAAACK! Time to ride and Cry Baby Hill.  Grin

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/cover_story/tulsa-s-embrace-of-tulsa-tough-continues-to-grow-after/article_97f3f545-a38c-5840-8dff-26694914a686.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:23:08 am »

It's great when a bunch of people from out of town come here to ride bikes,  spend money like water, and then leave.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 03:09:02 pm »

Christmas in June!

Unfortunately, I will miss the revelers on Crybaby Hill as I will be doing a volunteer gig on Sunday this year.  Might do my liver some good to skip it this year anyhow.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:37:08 am »

I'll post photos on Google+, Conan, though given the weather reports and the fact that Sunday is our anniversary, I won't spend much time there. She-Who-etc would be thoroughly displeased if I didn't take her out. I only LOOK dumb.

Ed

Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 10:25:13 am »

My better half and I have gone to the Criterium races in the Brady and Blue Dome districts the last few years but this will be the first that we'll do Cry Baby Hill.  I assume the earlier we get there, the better...and I understand there are no beer vendors at that criterium?  We plan on staying hydrated, mind the gap and take Monday off...but I'll be darned it I wear a diaper... Cool

We'd  appreciate any suggestions (or warnings)...

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:49:14 pm »

My better half and I have gone to the Criterium races in the Brady and Blue Dome districts the last few years but this will be the first that we'll do Cry Baby Hill.  I assume the earlier we get there, the better...and I understand there are no beer vendors at that criterium?  We plan on staying hydrated, mind the gap and take Monday off...but I'll be darned it I wear a diaper... Cool

Actually, I believe Prairie Artesian Ales will have beer up on CBH, just not certain where.  They brewed a Crybaby Hill Pilsner specifically for the event.  I’m assuming they will have some to pour Sunday.  I know we have it available in the VIP areas for TT.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 02:01:04 pm »

Actually, I believe Prairie Artesian Ales will have beer up on CBH, just not certain where.  They brewed a Crybaby Hill Pilsner specifically for the event.  I’m assuming they will have some to pour Sunday.  I know we have it available in the VIP areas for TT.

A "craft" pilsner?  Why?

Is it a lot like making love in a canoe?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:11:46 pm »

A "craft" pilsner?  Why?

Is it a lot like making love in a canoe?

You can actually do some tasty stuff with pilsners

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 02:49:58 pm »

The race hits the hill about every 5 minutes. They're moving fast, so mind the gap, mind the gendarmes, and PAY ATTENTION! It's not a place for kids, strollers, dogs, or glass bottles.

Ed

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 09:30:18 am »

Downtown dwellers. Get ready for a big weekend. This TW article covers it all. Lot's to do.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/downtown/brace-yourselves-downtown-will-be-packed-all-weekend-park-accordingly/article_7d5a092b-9ddd-55d1-afed-0a3a44d38aa4.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 11:13:17 am »

Let the snobbery begin......!!!!

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 01:52:48 pm »

You can actually do some tasty stuff with pilsners

I agree! Pilsners come from Czech Republic. They have some of the best Pilsners on earth. They are amazing and cheap there. Glad both Marshall and Prairie have made their own versions. It's a great beer for meaty-dinners to go with German brats or roasted pork.

In the US, mainstream water beer has given Pilsner a bad name because, to answer swake's question, it's %$@#%$ close to water!
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 01:55:23 pm »

Let the snobbery begin......!!!!

Does that Bud Ice Light taste good or what?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 12:06:14 pm »

/BEER

Cry Baby Hill almost claimed one:
http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/tulsa-tough-cyclist-hauled-hospital/nmcnR/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:42:14 pm by sgrizzle » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org