A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:41:44 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building up hispanic businesses in Tulsa  (Read 19658 times)
cmoreno
« on: December 15, 2005, 10:59:08 am »

Below is a section of an email that I sent this morning to Ms. Julie Miner (City of Tulsa - Mayor's Economic Development Team).  It briefly outlines the rationale for creating some sort of committee / group / sub-group of an existing organization or collaborative of several organizations, in order to  engage minority ('thinking specifically Hispanic, but could expand to others) business owners to "plug-in" to the efforts of Tulsa now, CORE, and other groups.

this would be a sort of outreach program focused on Economic Development: collaboration between several of the Tulsa communities, as far as the business sector is concerned.

the day that I was voted by the city council to serve on the greater Tulsa Hispanic affairs commission, councilor Randy Sullivan asked if I would investigate the possibility of collaboration in this manner (unbeknownst to him, I'm actually taking him to task on that comment, and expanding it to do something good for Tulsa).  [Cheesy]

--
Tulsa has a great wealth of non-profit organizations (at least 12 or so, at my last count) offering social services to its Hispanic population.  However, for those Tulsa Hispanic citizens who would like to start a business (open a retail store, restaurant, or offer a skilled trade), expand a business, move a business to Tulsa, etc., there are very few resources.

Tulsa Now, ypTulsa, Step-Up Tulsa, and several other like-minded organizations are well-informed of such resources (both referral and educational), and have the ability to create more.  Such a network could help existing and aspiring Tulsa Hispanic business owners to reach the full potential of their skills and aspirations.

My own company (Toydrum Inc.), and a sister company of mine (Community Capital Development) have had great success in building a similar network in NW Arkansas.  In NOV/DEC of this year, we have approached some of our contacts in Tulsa and have realized that there is a great need in this area.

The abovementioned organizations make mention in meetings, publications, etc. the realization of a future "face of economic development" if you will:  younger, more diverse, independent entrepreneurs.    ypTulsa has made inroads in providing young professionals with similar services.  My desire is to put these pieces together in to a model that would catalyze business growth amongst minority communities.

--
Carlos Moreno
Toydrum Inc.
www.toydrum.com
955shop
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:40:07 am »

There is a division already set up by the City Of Tulsa it is called Human Rights Division It is the Division that helped me to set up my "Tulsa Grocery Delivery Service" 955shop as well as my website www.955shop.net The link is through the City of Tulsa site www.cityoftulsa.org or direct link is http://cityoftulsa.org/community-programs/human-rights.aspx
Here is more info from the site page. The Human Rights Department (HRD) is the City of Tulsa department created by Title 5 of the City of Tulsa revised Ordinances, that receives and investigates complaints of discrimination in the areas of employment, housing, and public accommodations.

The HRD is responsible for assuring compliance of city contractors by monitoring their hiring, labor standards, EEO, and Affirmative Action practices. The HRD monitors Davis-Bacon requirements on federally funded City projects; monitors and encourages the City of Tulsa and City Contactors to utilize developing businesses; and conducts educational programs on civil and human rights.

The Human Rights Department is located at 175 East 2nd Street, Tulsa, Oklahoma, 74103 - One Technology Center, 8th Floor. Office number is (918) 596-7818, fax number is (918) 596-7826. Spanish
955shop
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:42:05 am »

The second dept is the BRIDGE they are another City of Tulsa Dept. http://cityoftulsa.org/community-programs/human-rights/bridge---building-resources-in-developing-and-growing-enterprises.aspx  And the chamber of Commerce Lead business person is Hispanic as well.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 12:24:39 pm »

TCC and Tulsa Tech have a business program that is open to anyone where they offer a introductory class on how to start a business.  I think that has also expanded to further topics.

When I took it many years ago, it was very good for someone who was starting from scratch (me!).

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:50:42 pm »

why are not all posts in this forum en espanol?

Angry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org