A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:03:39 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skywalks: Good for downtown Tulsa?  (Read 2476 times)
Chicken Little
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:02:46 pm »

Interesting article appearing the the Tulsa World today:

The bored walk
By LISA CORNWELL Associated Press
4/9/2006

Cities' enthusiasm for skywalks fades
CINCINNATI -- Sunlight is replacing shadows where elevated walkways spanning streets around Cincinnati's downtown square have been torn down. Similar open spaces are appearing in other cities where planners once hoped skywalks would energize their downtowns.

"More cities are realizing that skywalks are not what they were cut out to be," said Fred Kent, president of Project for Public Spaces, a New York City-based nonprofit organization that helps communities create and sustain public places. "Instead of drawing additional people and retail to a second level, skywalks have left streets lifeless, presenting a cold and alienating environment."...[snip]

------------------------------------------

(Plese help keep an eye out for a reprint in an accessible publication)

When I think of Skyways, I think of Minneapolis (and the Replacements[Wink]!).  Its dang cold up there and sometimes the sidewalks are literally buried in mountains of snow.  But in warmer climes like Cincinnati, they don't seem to be that popular.

With all of this pending downtown development in Tulsa, I'm sure that there will be a people who will want these, perhaps linking to the new arena, for "safety", or "convenience" or whatever.  But there is a downside.  The quote that sums it up:

quote:
"Having people on the streets sends the message that downtown is a safe and fun place to be," said Marya Morris, senior research associate with American Planning Association. "It's difficult to create the type of energy that attracts housing and other activity when there is no one on the streets after 5 p.m."

I don't think we need 'em.  Thoughts?  Counterpoint?

/Hey Vision2025, are skywalks included in the arena budget?  Might make a nice, cost-saving deletion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org