A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:09:43 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 91st and Memorial Wal-mart  (Read 4381 times)
YoungTulsan
City Father

« on: April 06, 2006, 10:28:21 pm »

I'm sure this has been brought up, but I was just wondering.  With a Wal-mart Supercenter going in at 68th and Memorial and 121st and Memorial, doesn't this pretty much mean the one at 91st and Memorial is doomed to be shut down?

I suppose the one at 42nd and Memorial would also be a candidate for closure since you already have Admiral and Memorial with 68th and Memorial closing the gap on the other side.

What I was wondering is what options does a city have as far as forcing Wal-Mart to do something besides abandon their old stores and leave those streetcorners dead for eternity?  Could the city demand that Wal-mart bulldoze their old site and put the land back up on the market for commercial development as a condition that must be met before they are allowed to build a new one like at 68th and Memorial?

As I see it, the 91st and Memorial Walmart will be a big festering box (Or an ugly converted over Christian Bookstore or flea market) 10 years from now.  Go check out 71st and Riverside, 71st and Elm in BA, and 71st and 193rd E. Ave. in BA for examples.

With all the growth between Bixby and Tulsa 91st and Memorial should be an important intersection.  Walmart has probably strategically removed it as an option for any competitor.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org