A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:48:55 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holiday parade question  (Read 17286 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2012, 10:47:26 am »

Groovy will be soon

The Hell you say
rdj
City Father

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 11:18:20 am »

Is Tulsa the only U.S. City that wants to call it's parade Christmas?
I'm old and have alway's heard the name Christmas parade.
I can't remember the last company Holiday party I went to.
Or my last Holiday present I recieved.
Hey I sure like that Holiday sweater you're wearing, with that big fat red fraud on it.
Did you get you're Holiday bonus yet?
I got me a festavus pole this year. All the Holiday trees were gone.
Hurry and send out those Holiday cards with the picture of my frowning Holiday family on it.
I hate how the radio station keeps playing that Holiday music. They should bleep out that Christ word in those songs.
I hope that my son gets that x-box he wants for Holiday.
Boy the Grinch was stupid to go out and try and steal Holiday.
But I will give all you spirit killing, politically correct, laughingstock making Tulsans one thing.
Charlie Brown did go out and buy one Helluva nice "HOLIDAY" tree

I'm not advocating replacing the word "Christmas" with "Holiday".  I'm advocating to understand that in our increasingly diverse country there are more celebrations in December than just Christmas.  They each have their own traditions and celebrations, where those overlap I see no problem calling those "holiday".  As an example, some Jewish families will decorate their Hanukkah bush using blue lights.  Some Christian families decorate their Christmas tree with the same.  Should those be packaged as Hanukkah lights or Christmas lights?  Holiday lights seems like a fair compromise to me.

The organizers and supporters of the Holiday Parade of Lights are not waging a war on Christmas, they are simply inviting those that practice various faiths and December traditions to join them in parading through the streets of downtown celebrating in a joyous and peaceful way.  Why is that so hated?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:34:34 pm by rdj » Logged

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »

I'm not advocating replacing the word "Christmas" with "Holiday".  I'm advocating to understand that in our increasingly diverse country there are more celebrations in December than just Christmas.  They each have their own traditions and celebrations, where those overlap I see no problem calling those "holiday".  As an example. some Jewish families will decorate their Hanukkah bush using blue lights.  Some Christian families decorate their Christmas tree with the same.  Should those be packaged as Hanukkah lights or Christmas lights?  Holiday lights seems like a fair compromise to me.

The organizers and supporters of the Holiday Parade of Lights are not waging a war on Christmas, they are simply inviting those that practice various faiths and December traditions to join them in parading through the streets of downtown celebrating in a joyous and peaceful way.  Why is that so hated?

Well stated!
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 07:32:06 pm »

I'm not advocating replacing the word "Christmas" with "Holiday".  I'm advocating to understand that in our increasingly diverse country there are more celebrations in December than just Christmas.  They each have their own traditions and celebrations, where those overlap I see no problem calling those "holiday".  As an example, some Jewish families will decorate their Hanukkah bush using blue lights.  Some Christian families decorate their Christmas tree with the same.  Should those be packaged as Hanukkah lights or Christmas lights?  Holiday lights seems like a fair compromise to me.

<sarcasm>
Because all those other religions are bogus
If you don't believe in Jesus, Santa Clause and Christmas you're going to hell
God hating commies!
The fact that you believe in (or worse, accept) other religions scares me and my narrow world view.
</sarcasm>
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2012, 09:25:09 pm »

I used to like this time of year. I have some amazing stories of wonderful parts of my life that happened in December. I believe that people have been good to me and good things have happened around me each December because of many Christian friends and strangers filled with Christmas spirit. I can tell you stories that will make us both cry with joy.

I would never want to wage a war on Christmas. I believe in it. It is real.

But I have immediate family that are Mormon, Baptist, Muslim, Catholic, Unitarian, Atheist, Agnostic and attend the Salvation Army church. These are my brothers and sisters and their spouses and my cousins and parents and people I love. Each of them see Christmas differently than me. I want to respect their holidays and traditions.

We completely celebrate Christmas Day in my home. It is a holy day to me.

But I strongly believe that the people that demand that every day from Thanksgiving to December be proclaimed to be an exclusive homage to the birth of Christ are selfish and wrong. They demand that no other religion be mentioned for weeks and have somehow determined that the word holiday (from holy day) is offensive to them and must be challenged if ever used.

They are wrong to demand such. I believe they are just upset that the symbols of Christmas have become a guy in a red suit, reindeer, a snowman, and indoor dead trees. They have lost that symbolic battle and now just have other religions left to fight. I don't want to fight. And it ain't because Santa Claus is watching me.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 08:50:59 am »

I used to like this time of year. I have some amazing stories of wonderful parts of my life that happened in December. I believe that people have been good to me and good things have happened around me each December because of many Christian friends and strangers filled with Christmas spirit. I can tell you stories that will make us both cry with joy.

I would never want to wage a war on Christmas. I believe in it. It is real.

But I have immediate family that are Mormon, Baptist, Muslim, Catholic, Unitarian, Atheist, Agnostic and attend the Salvation Army church. These are my brothers and sisters and their spouses and my cousins and parents and people I love. Each of them see Christmas differently than me. I want to respect their holidays and traditions.

We completely celebrate Christmas Day in my home. It is a holy day to me.

But I strongly believe that the people that demand that every day from Thanksgiving to December be proclaimed to be an exclusive homage to the birth of Christ are selfish and wrong. They demand that no other religion be mentioned for weeks and have somehow determined that the word holiday (from holy day) is offensive to them and must be challenged if ever used.

They are wrong to demand such. I believe they are just upset that the symbols of Christmas have become a guy in a red suit, reindeer, a snowman, and indoor dead trees. They have lost that symbolic battle and now just have other religions left to fight. I don't want to fight. And it ain't because Santa Claus is watching me.

And I'm sure it's never occurred to those people that Christians co-opted this celebratory season from earlier religions in the first place.

I won't go so far as to say I used to like this time of year, but I find I change stations and am quick to delete commercial emails to try and avoid the commercial exploitation of the season as much as possible.  What disappoints me about this time of year is it seems to have become focused so much on personal consumption rather than giving.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 09:05:10 am »

And I'm sure it's never occurred to those people that Christians co-opted this celebratory season from earlier religions in the first place.

I won't go so far as to say I used to like this time of year, but I find I change stations and am quick to delete commercial emails to try and avoid the commercial exploitation of the season as much as possible.  What disappoints me about this time of year is it seems to have become focused so much on personal consumption rather than giving.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uKnd6IEiO0&feature=g-high-u[/youtube]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2012, 07:25:24 am »

Is Tulsa the only U.S. City that wants to call it's parade Christmas?
I'm old and have alway's heard the name Christmas parade.
I can't remember the last company Holiday party I went to.
Or my last Holiday present I recieved.
Hey I sure like that Holiday sweater you're wearing, with that big fat red fraud on it.
Did you get you're Holiday bonus yet?
I got me a festavus pole this year. All the Holiday trees were gone.
Hurry and send out those Holiday cards with the picture of my frowning Holiday family on it.
I hate how the radio station keeps playing that Holiday music. They should bleep out that Christ word in those songs.
I hope that my son gets that x-box he wants for Holiday.
Boy the Grinch was stupid to go out and try and steal Holiday.
But I will give all you spirit killing, politically correct, laughingstock making Tulsans one thing.
Charlie Brown did go out and buy one Helluva nice "HOLIDAY" tree

Holiday is short for "Holy Day" and is not a secular term
Families generally don't got "Home for the christmasdays"
I've had customers, friends and neighbors who were Jewish, so I have wished people "Happy Holidays" for years since it covers both
There are tons of holiday cards with holiday families who look plenty happy
Sirius XM has a "holiday" music station
NPR is doing "holiday" music programming
Movies in december are called "Holiday Movie Season"
The Downtown parade was known as the "Yule Parade" for decades and became the "Parade of Lights" when PSO started sponsoring it. The word "Christmas" appeared in the name only sporadically over the life of the event.
If your son cares more about the name of a parade that happens three weeks before opening his XBox, then he shouldn't get an XBox.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2012, 08:17:46 am »

Holiday is short for "Holy Day" and is not a secular term
Families generally don't got "Home for the christmasdays"
I've had customers, friends and neighbors who were Jewish, so I have wished people "Happy Holidays" for years since it covers both
There are tons of holiday cards with holiday families who look plenty happy
Sirius XM has a "holiday" music station
NPR is doing "holiday" music programming
Movies in december are called "Holiday Movie Season"
The Downtown parade was known as the "Yule Parade" for decades and became the "Parade of Lights" when PSO started sponsoring it. The word "Christmas" appeared in the name only sporadically over the life of the event.
If your son cares more about the name of a parade that happens three weeks before opening his XBox, then he shouldn't get an XBox.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2012, 08:56:49 am »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2012, 09:27:04 am »

May your sales be merry and bright!

onward...through the fog
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2012, 10:38:08 am »

Brought to you by. None other than CNN. Penn Jillette's Atheist War on Christmas. From "The Monkees" to "Frank Zappa" he is never short on comparisons. He is Happy Holidays version of Christmas Wesboro Baptist.

Enjoy.http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/13/opinion/jillette-atheist-christmas/index.html?eref=rss_opinion&cid=sf_twitter

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org