A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:06:45 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eddie Sutton - DUI, Stepping Down  (Read 4085 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: February 13, 2006, 10:52:28 am »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2329109

TULSA, Okla. -- Stillwater police said Monday that Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton was cited with driving under the influence after a Friday traffic accident, a Tulsa newspaper reported.

Unrelated to the report, the university announced Monday that Sutton had asked to take a leave of absence for the remainder of the season.

"Coach Sutton has been dealing with constant back and hip problems the last couple of seasons and after last Friday's accident he feels this is the best decision for his health and for the team," said OSU System CEO and President David Schmidly.

Stillwater Police Chief Norman McNickle confirmed the citation Monday, the Tulsa World reported on its Web site.

Sutton was traveling to the Stillwater airport to fly with his team to College Station, Texas, when the accident occurred Friday. The coach sustained bruises to his head in the accident.

McNickle told the newpaper that Sutton also was cited with speeding and driving left of center.

"It has been an extremely difficult season. With my deteriorating physical condition and other issues, I have been under a tremendous amount of stress. I told Dr. Schmidly I was close to making this decision after the trip to Kansas State because the pain in my back was making it very difficult to coach. After Friday's events, I know it is best to go on medical leave the remainder of the season to address my future health. "It is very difficult to step away from the team," Sutton said.

The school said no decision has been made regarding Sutton's plans for next season.

Sutton's son, Sean, who will take over as head coach of the team when Sutton retires, will lead the team the rest of the season.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org