A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:58:38 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikipedia.org  (Read 5335 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: August 29, 2006, 11:58:31 am »

Is anyone else addicted to it?

You can look up tv shows, movies, politicians, just about anything. Plus everything is cross referenced a-la 6 degrees of kevin bacon..

Then if you start contributing as well, there might be no more free time in the day..

Or maybe it's just me.

Tulsa on Wikipedia
sportyart
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 11:08:14 pm »

Tulsa becomes a featured article. Featured articles are considered to be the best articles in Wikipedia, as determined by Wikipedia's editors. Before being listed here, articles are reviewed at Wikipedia:Featured article candidates for accuracy, neutrality, completeness, and style according to our featured article criteria.

At present, there are 1,412 featured articles, of a total of 1,806,140 articles on Wikipedia. Thus, about one in 1,270 articles is listed here. Articles that no longer meet the criteria can be proposed for improvement or removal at Wikipedia:Featured article review.

A small bronze star () on the top right corner of an article's page indicates that the article is featured.

At present, no city in our area (Dallas, Ft. Worth, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Kansas City, St. Louis and so on) is a featured article.
inteller
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:20:56 am »

featured articles are a popularity contest....so if you have enough pull with the Wikilluminati you can get an article featured.  it is a scratch my back I scratch yours scenario.

I don't consider tulsa being featured anything special.  I consider someone went on a lobbying campaign and we arrived to this result.

if you want good clean unbiased information, consult a library, there is way too much crap in wikipedia to trust the results.

i've seen grad students cite wikipedia.  doing so gets them automatic Fs.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 08:38:23 am »

One thing the article fails to mention--it discusses the BOK tower being the tallest in the region, but fails to mention the architect, Yamasaki, the same architect who designed the world trade center towers.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 08:53:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

featured articles are a popularity contest....so if you have enough pull with the Wikilluminati you can get an article featured.  it is a scratch my back I scratch yours scenario.

I don't consider tulsa being featured anything special.  I consider someone went on a lobbying campaign and we arrived to this result.

if you want good clean unbiased information, consult a library, there is way too much crap in wikipedia to trust the results.

i've seen grad students cite wikipedia.  doing so gets them automatic Fs.

But does the Grad student have a car with the aerodynamics to go 130 miles per hour with no loss in gas mileage?[Smiley]
mr.jaynes
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:59:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Is anyone else addicted to it?

You can look up tv shows, movies, politicians, just about anything. Plus everything is cross referenced a-la 6 degrees of kevin bacon..

Then if you start contributing as well, there might be no more free time in the day..

Or maybe it's just me.

Tulsa on Wikipedia

I could probably contribute plenty as informed by my fields of expertise and experiences, but I wonder if I'd have the time?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 07:58:14 am »

Wikipedia is a good starting place for quick reference but it's not Gospel.  From there, you pretty much have to dig deeper to get all the facts.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:35:31 am »

I thought "internet" was Latin for "truth".

Power is nothing till you use it.
Lister
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:49:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

One thing the article fails to mention--it discusses the BOK tower being the tallest in the region, but fails to mention the architect, Yamasaki, the same architect who designed the world trade center towers.

Somebody on here must've heard you PM..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_Oklahoma_Tower
grahambino
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 10:43:49 am »

sure, wikipedia cannot be completely trusted 100% of the time.  though on certain subjects you really cant help but trust it.  such as the melting point of sulfur.  There are enough people that read and edit wiki that things like that it will get corrected.  Another example would be when i look up a TV show or a band im interested in.  i really dont have any reason to doubt when or where serj tankian was born and if it is wrong, well, i can live with the fact that im misinformed on such a subject.

I love wikipedia, its definitely a time-sink for someone who used to read encyclopedias for fun as a child.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 07:54:40 am »

well put Garhambino - I'm a big fan of Wikipedia and they seem to do a good job of pointing out controversial points or other points of view.  Perfect, no.  And I certainly would not rely on it for scholarly work nor if it really mattered (ie. my son just ate 12 aspirin, what should I do?).

However, when I wanted a brief history of the Lebanese Civil War or to find out what the city of X is like. - it works great.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org