A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:44:16 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoning 4 a particular style or look?  (Read 2253 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: October 01, 2005, 12:31:31 pm »

This is a topic that I see as being very important for Tulsa, especially as Tulsa moves more into an infill oriented city.  
   I think this thread ties into the concerns being brought up in other threads "modern lofts off cherry street, brookside, development along the river and downtown etc".  

I have seen examples of mixed style developments that work and dont work.  Here are some of my opinions of why some do and some dont.   STYLE with STYLE,  CLASS with CLASS.  An example  would be say a neighborhood that has an "old world theme", like Wynmoor off of Sheridan in south Tulsa, its a "mix" of old italianate, French country, etc. Wynmoor, I would call a mix of an old world "styles"  of a similar "class". The STYLES match and the CLASS match. Go to the Mc. Berney mansion and you will see around it lost of older styled homes but right across fromit is a shabby low lying building form the 70s, it looks horrible there.  It neither matches through STYLE or CLASS or through a rule of exception. as an object of artistic or architectural interest.    A home can be decorated so that it has say an italian or french style, as long as an object is in the italian or french style, whether  cheap, expensive or whatever, it still works in the overall decor.  An example of just the opposite idea is completely different styles, say a louis the 14th  table with a Picasso over it.  This works in spite of the fact that they are completely different STYLES because they "match" through CLASS. Also if  objects or buildings have similar artistic values then they can "match" in that way.  An example of something that doesnt work for me.... Take 15th street from utica Towards Lewis, recently most of the businesses in that area have the look of large homes and is quite pleasing.  I have seen areas in other cities that have been zoned in this manner. But as you near Lewis on the N side of the street is a 2 story brick and glass building from the 80s that IMO ruins the look of the street and should not have been allowed to have been built there.  IT does not match either through STYLE or CLASS,and is not a positive "accent piece" of artistic or architectural value and iterest.  I know there are exceptions to every rule but these ideas of how things can match and work in an area are the best I have come up with.  Any additions or comments?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org