A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:34:51 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot Dog vendor in Civic Plaza  (Read 11646 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 03:26:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

King's Restaurant...my mother quit taking us there.  We'd slink off to an empty booth and crank call the kitchen: "One fart burger please, and hold the poop!"

Robo wash- they had one down on Peoria, Mom would drive through with my brother and I and our dog.  The dog would go into hysterics and follow the, uh, "robot" around the inside of the station wagon barking at it as it washed the car.

Remember the Kip's Big Boys at 37th & Memorial and 27th & Harvard.  Seems like one of the Big Boys wound up on Hale's campus one year.

I remember that quite well actually. It was a graduation prank by the Hale Class of 1981. I know all of the parties involved. The statue never made it to school grounds. The people involved backed up and knocked over the Big Boy with a pick up truck. The rear window of the truck had Hale stickers on it. Good plan. But they did it while Kip's was still open and there were two OHP and two TPD in the resturaunt on break that watched it happen. They tried to catch them during a short pursuit in which the statue fell out of the truck bed. So TPD went to the school and waited inthe shadows of the parking lot until they returned.

I was a yearbook and newspaper photographer my junior and senior year there. I have a picture of the aftermath on my computer at home and will post it later.
dbacks fan
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 03:29:43 pm »

quote:

DBack or Steve, either of you remember any of the Olzawski kids?  My parents were friends of theirs and two of the sisters used to baby-sit us when we were little.  Tom Olzawski had the first Mazda Franchise in Tulsa.  I think it was just north of 21st & Memorial on the west side of the road.

The name doesn't ring a bell with me, but I do remember the Mazda dealer that you are talking about. Will do a little research and see what I can find.
Steve
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 03:35:56 pm »

quote:

DBack or Steve, either of you remember any of the Olzawski kids?  My parents were friends of theirs and two of the sisters used to baby-sit us when we were little.  Tom Olzawski had the first Mazda Franchise in Tulsa.  I think it was just north of 21st & Memorial on the west side of the road.

I remember Carl Olzawski very well.  Carl was a year ahead of me at Hale in the class of 1974.  I was class of 1975.  Patti Olzawski was 2 years behind me, class of 1977.  The Olzawski name goes back further with me in memory; did these kids go to the old John Paul Jones Elementary as I did?  I also went to St. Pius school for 1st & 2nd grade, 1963-1965.  (The name "Olzawski" makes me think they were St. Pius church members.)  My family was very active in St. Pius PTA and  school activities back in the early 1960s, and was one of the original "founders" of the parrish.  I remember the old church services in the Moeller family barn, and the original dedication of the "new" St. Pius church around 1965.  I have old snapshots taken at the dedication of the new modern St. Pius church.  My dad (may he rest in peace) had a lovely singing voice and sang in the St. Pius choir in the 1960s; I made my first communion there and was confirmed there in 1971 after my father's death.

I remember some incidents at St. Pius in the mid-1960s, when my parents were co-presidents of the St. Pius PTA.  They were having problems with some of the lay teachers at the school and their diciplinary tactics.  (One teacher, Ms. Case really comes to mind for her habit of physically hitting kids for no obvious reason!)  I remember a "secret" meeting my parents had at our house in 1965 to discuss the situation with other families.  Our house was packed with people concerned about the problem.  In the fall of 1965, my parents had had enough and put me in 3rd grade at John Paul Jones, and put my brother in 7th grade at Whitney Jr. High.  We still went to St. Pius for church, but no longer Catholic school.  I went on to Whitney Jr. High and graduated Hale in 1975.  Turning 50 this year, in October!  Gadzooks, I never thought I would be this old!

Steve
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 06:03:16 pm »

Please post any further comments on this trip down memory lane to the "My Childhood Memories" thread that I started under the forum Chat section.  We have strayed way too off topic here, as our comments have nothing to do with the downtown hot dog vendor.  I am just as guilty as anyone else!  Thanks, Steve.
AMP
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 08:41:12 pm »

The Zuider Zee sat facing the service road, to the North East of Oertle's store about where the old Holiday Inn Holidome office is today.  

There was a parking lot shared by Southwest Nursery that was just across from the street to the North of the building there that you could access the Zuider Zee fish restaurant from.  Southwest Nursery owners also owned and may still own the Christmas Tree Lot at 41st and Harvard.  They also owned OK Fireworks at that time.  

The eye doctor that was located in the front of the Oertle's building, Dr. Wilks, was there for the longest time.  I believe he outlasted almost everyone else.  

Once my mom's Pontiac convertable was stolen from Oertle's parking lot, and used in an armed robbery.  A man was shot and killed in that car by lawmen, story was he used the rear zipper window to shoot at the cars chashing them.

There was a popular night club later near the Oertle's store in the buildings that were built by the commercial contractor that built both the large Oertle's building and the strip shopping center to the south.  The club was called Wiskers.  Anyone recall that place?  

AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2007, 10:34:16 am »

Wow, is it just me or did it get really OLD in here? [Cheesy][Cheesy][Cheesy]

Just kidding, guys. Thanks for sharing all the memories and 70s/80s history. This has been fun! I'm sure the hot dog vendor doesn't mind. [Smiley]

Speaking of, I saw that dude out at 4th & Main the other day. I need to buy a dog off him one day. Jeez, we should have half a dozen of those guys downtown. Hot dog carts are the "drive-thru" joints in pedestrian districts.
dbacks fan
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2007, 09:52:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

The Zuider Zee sat facing the service road, to the North East of Oertle's store about where the old Holiday Inn Holidome office is today.  

There was a parking lot shared by Southwest Nursery that was just across from the street to the North of the building there that you could access the Zuider Zee fish restaurant from.  Southwest Nursery owners also owned and may still own the Christmas Tree Lot at 41st and Harvard.  They also owned OK Fireworks at that time.  

The eye doctor that was located in the front of the Oertle's building, Dr. Wilks, was there for the longest time.  I believe he outlasted almost everyone else.  

Once my mom's Pontiac convertable was stolen from Oertle's parking lot, and used in an armed robbery.  A man was shot and killed in that car by lawmen, story was he used the rear zipper window to shoot at the cars chashing them.

There was a popular night club later near the Oertle's store in the buildings that were built by the commercial contractor that built both the large Oertle's building and the strip shopping center to the south.  The club was called Wiskers.  Anyone recall that place?  

I don't know if popular is the right word for Wiskers (or was it Whiskers?) I remember people I grew up with that were older than me going there to party, and I can remember waling through the parkinglot one night, probably in '78 when I was a sophomore at Hale and saw Gary Temple who was a TPD officer and also a security officer at Hale, sitting in an unmarked police car and thinking "Boy did I pick the wrong lot to walk through!" He saw me in the hall at school a couple of days later and asked me if I was inside the bar, I just said "I'm 15, I don't think I could get in."
AMP
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 12:54:26 am »

Whiskers it is ... Here are a few others

http://tulsatvmemories.com/imag1999/clubcard.jpg
dbacks fan
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 04:42:06 pm »

If there is an interested entrepreneur here is a site for Vienna Beef Hot Dogs. I have eaten at a few of them in Arizona and they are some of the best.

http://www.viennabeef.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org