A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:27:43 am
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Streetlights for Tulsa  (Read 461971 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #525 on: December 05, 2023, 09:17:15 pm »

Maybe not smoke and mirrors if the existing transformer is over-loaded.

I was just thinking that, depending on the type of fixture, if it was not receiving the right voltage the ballast in the fixture would not have the right voltage to power the actual lamp.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #526 on: December 10, 2023, 09:55:31 am »

I was just thinking that, depending on the type of fixture, if it was not receiving the right voltage the ballast in the fixture would not have the right voltage to power the actual lamp.

If we hadnt just converted to LED with the greatly reduced current draw, and the fixtures PSO specified werent "Universal Voltage," I would agree.
It sounds like a fluff handout that KTUL didnt have the resources or motivation to validate.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #527 on: December 10, 2023, 11:04:50 pm »

If we hadnt just converted to LED with the greatly reduced current draw, and the fixtures PSO specified werent "Universal Voltage," I would agree.
It sounds like a fluff handout that KTUL didnt have the resources or motivation to validate.

Any other large loads in the area that could affect the situation?

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #528 on: February 16, 2024, 10:23:56 am »

CNN  — Imagine if you could drive at night with your high beams on all the time, bathing the road ahead in bright light but without ever blinding other drivers.
In Europe and Asia, many cars offer adaptive driving beam headlights that can do this. ADB is a lighting technology that has been available for many years in other parts of the world including Europe, China and Canada, but not in the United States.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/15/cars/headlights-tech-adaptable-high-beams-cars/index.html

« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 04:59:33 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #529 on: February 16, 2024, 11:08:42 am »

CNN  — Imagine if you could drive at night with your high beams on all the time, bathing the road ahead in bright light but without ever blinding other drivers.
In Europe and Asia, many cars offer adaptive driving beam headlights that can do this. ADB is a lighting technology that has been available for many years in other parts of the world including Europe, China and Canada, but not in the United States.

The USA may have been on the leading edge of headlight technology when sealed beam headlights were invented.  We have been behind the world for more than 50 years.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #530 on: February 17, 2024, 08:54:21 pm »

The USA may have been on the leading edge of headlight technology when sealed beam headlights were invented.  We have been behind the world for more than 50 years.

I suspect that a lot of that back then was lobbying by the Big 3 since they more than likely owned the companies that made the headlights, to keep European manufactures like Hella and Cibie out of the US market even though they made headlights that the lenses were specific to right hand drive and left hand drive cars. Cars that were left hand drive had different aim fluting cut into the lenses so that they aimed the light towards the right, and right hand drive lenses had the flutes cut to aim the light to the left, this was so that the headlights aimed the light more to the shoulder instead of oncoming traffic.

I bought my first pair of Halogen headlights, 7" round ones, in 1980 and used them on my cars that had that style of headlight. The ones I got were like these Hella's with H4 bulbs like this

For a few years I always got hassled from time to time when I would go for my annual safety inspection because someone would claim they were illegal in Oklahoma.

Adaptive headlight were available in the US back in the 30's on Duesenberg, Cord, Auburn and Cadillac I think. They had headlights on the fenders and then they had a set in front of the grille that was attached to the steering linkage so they would aim the direction the steering was pointed. Post war the Tucker had the center headlight that worked the same way. Citroen has had steerable headlights as well.

From what I have read, the newer adaptive headlights not only have the steering capability, but they also are self leveling, but they're not cheap. Even non adaptive ones can run well over $1000.00 per side, and the aftermarket ones are just crap. People buy them because they're cool, but they aren't aimed properly and built so poorly they just shine light everywhere.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #531 on: February 18, 2024, 11:47:01 am »

I bought my first pair of Halogen headlights, 7" round ones, in 1980 and used them on my cars that had that style of headlight. The ones I got were like these Hella's with H4 bulbs like this

I had similar but the 4 of the smaller round headlights that I bought in 1972 from a guy that did road ralleys.  He changed cars and needed the larger round ones like you got.

Cibie, Hella and Marchal all made headlights that fit where sealed beam bulbs used to go.  Much better road illumination without blinding other traffic.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #532 on: February 25, 2024, 09:52:26 am »

Pedestrian Hospitalized After Being Struck By Vehicle In Tulsa.
https://www.newson6.com/story/65daa9d2542826064c0b0d5d/pedestrian-struck-by-vehicle-in-tulsa-sheridan-closed-as-police-investigate

...directly under new street lights. Only difference now is the handouts no longer complain about "dark streets."
Maybe we should start paying attention to glare?

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org