A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:49:14 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Sims Burgers  (Read 14053 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« on: August 16, 2022, 06:36:00 am »

Never bothered to eat there since it didn't look to be anything special and was crazy overpriced - but Billy Sims Burgers on Yale closed down after a touch under a year (guessing a one year lease as they opened in Oct 21 after a 2 month build-out). It was Billy's first venture into burgers and clearly didn't go well and they've closed their Twitter and Facebook accounts so I'm guessing they're going to stick to BBQ now.

Doesn't appear anything can stick at this location - the building was originally a Taco Cabana and was always busy but still closed due to a lack of sales or some such excuse - after that it's been 3 different burger places that have all floundered probably for just being bad businesses. It'd be great if something decent could open there and take hold but the whole shopping center has been hit or miss since the Sears closed.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 08:02:26 am »

Doesn't appear anything can stick at this location

Certainly not not overpriced burgers and waterpark themed? restaurants .

FWIW,  we tried Billy burgers one time.   It was good and the fries were excellent.    But it was overpriced..   
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 12:11:21 pm »

Never bothered to eat there since it didn't look to be anything special and was crazy overpriced - but Billy Sims Burgers on Yale closed down after a touch under a year (guessing a one year lease as they opened in Oct 21 after a 2 month build-out). It was Billy's first venture into burgers and clearly didn't go well and they've closed their Twitter and Facebook accounts so I'm guessing they're going to stick to BBQ now.

Doesn't appear anything can stick at this location - the building was originally a Taco Cabana and was always busy but still closed due to a lack of sales or some such excuse - after that it's been 3 different burger places that have all floundered probably for just being bad businesses. It'd be great if something decent could open there and take hold but the whole shopping center has been hit or miss since the Sears closed.

From the Whirled:  Billy Sims Burger has shuttered its two locations, in Tulsa at 1941 S. Yale Ave., and the original spot in Midwest City.

In a statement, the company said, “We appreciate all the support of our local community over the past year. Billy Burger is a concept that we are passionate about and know will be hugely successful when the world is not experiencing unprecedented labor and supply chain challenges.”

The Tulsa restaurant opened in October 2021 in the space that has been home to such Mexican-inspired concepts as Taco Cabana and Jimmy Hula’s. The menu was small, with a selection of burgers, a chicken sandwich, fries and shakes.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 08:09:47 am »

From the Whirled:  Billy Sims Burger has shuttered its two locations, in Tulsa at 1941 S. Yale Ave., and the original spot in Midwest City.

In a statement, the company said, “We appreciate all the support of our local community over the past year. Billy Burger is a concept that we are passionate about and know will be hugely successful when the world is not experiencing unprecedented labor and supply chain challenges.”

The Tulsa restaurant opened in October 2021 in the space that has been home to such Mexican-inspired concepts as Taco Cabana and Jimmy Hula’s. The menu was small, with a selection of burgers, a chicken sandwich, fries and shakes.

I love when business owners try to blame the world-at-large for their own failures. Billy Burger didn't fail because of supply chain challenges. The problem is there is nothing special about Billy Burger. An overpriced bare-bones un-original menu in a building with a few college football mementos is not a concept. I am surprised that Billy didn't show up every weekend for a meet and greet as when he was there for a few days when it opened people swarmed in. I'm also surprised that a former athlete whose career ended 38 years ago could be that much of a draw but - hey - more power to him if he can keep milking that.

In general that whole shopping center makes me mad - really crap management in both upkeep and leasing. Something needs to be done with the old Sears other than a location for Spirit Halloween once a year or some random pop-up outlet store. The dead possum in the Sears lot that has been allowed to rot away for the past few months is about par for the course for that entire complex.  Roll Eyes
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 07:23:51 am »

The barbeque sucked, so why would people think the burgers would be better???

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 07:10:11 am »

On a sidenote, looks like someone cleaned up the dead possum - probably Spirit Halloween since they're back. It's possible they just took it inside to sell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org