A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:07:00 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No more Sky Ride at the Fair  (Read 4372 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« on: May 13, 2022, 12:25:37 pm »

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/tulsa-state-fair-to-stop-offering-popular-sky-ride-attraction/article_2b220d56-d2c0-11ec-9e68-ef21a29cd2ab.html

Basically it's too expensive to maintain and operate. Ironically - a few years ago (pre-Covid), the company who does the maintenance on the remaining Sky Rides in the country was in town to work on this one. We had to get them an early VW clutch kit as the engine on these things is literally an old air-cooled VW industrial engine (and I mean EARLY - I think the engine was mid-50s). They've changed most of the other Sky Rides to a newer engine and just kept the VW engine for emergencies in case the main engine fails but the Tulsa ride is still only rolling the VW engine. Oddly enough - not the weirdest thing we've sold VW parts for.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 12:38:14 pm »

I guess I would say that kinda sucks. But then I am not a fair person, I haven't been in probably a decade and I have no plans to start going again.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 02:07:06 pm »

I guess I would say that kinda sucks. But then I am not a fair person, I haven't been in probably a decade and I have no plans to start going again.

I don't go either but I'll have my friends who do go drop a half-eaten turkey leg on the Midway in your honor.  Grin
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 08:43:03 pm »

Maybe Robby Bell will buy it for his new park.   Grin
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 06:51:01 am »

Maybe Robby Bell will buy it for his new park.   Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org