A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:45:57 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhymes with "Stitt"  (Read 37098 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2022, 09:08:15 am »

Labels aren't the end all, be all.  It's what they do when they get in - like Trump.  Called himself a Republican but is not fit to lick the bottoms of the shoes of Republicans like John McCain, Mitt Romney, Gerald Ford, Dwight Eisenhower, et al.  

It's sad when someone can make a douchecanoe like Mitt Romney look good. He might generally be a pleasant person on the surface but talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing. Yes - that's a whole other topic but the high points of the Republican party now would have been the worst points of them in the past.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2022, 03:10:45 pm »

We know that now but at the time in white society he was a hero.  Maybe in time our present leaders will be evaluated in a more objective manner.  (Yes, Jackson was a maggot.)

Integrating/introducing Native Americans into "white" society to allow them to succeed off the reservation was probably a reasonable goal.  The way it was done was ABSOLUTELY wrong.  Trying to eliminate Native American culture was also ABSOLUTELY wrong.  I never had kids so I cannot imagine the emotions involved.  Growing up "back east" we learned of the forced relocation of the Native Americans but didn't learn many of the details.  Kind of like the Tulsa 1921 Massacre.  Going on vacation from PA to FL, I remember getting some Cherokee and Seminole tourist trinkets. I didn't connect the relocation until after I lived here a few years.  I do understand the authority of the government.  Your are probably old enough to remember the draft. My draft lottery number was 38.

Not much though.  I believe I read that scalping was originally done by either the British and/or French in the Northeast long before it was practiced out this way.  Probably more the British but I don't remember the details of the "French-Indian" wars. High School was a LONG time ago.

I have stated many times that I am not a Trumpster.  Thank you for acknowledging that the Republican name and party have been hijacked.  I remain a member to try to un-hijack the party. I don't have any high hopes like the ant and the rubber tree plant or the ram and the dam.  https://www.songlyrics.com/doris-day/high-hopes-rubber-tree-plant-lyrics/

Yep

Also Yep.

That whole post was not directed at you, or directly for you - just used your note as the "marker" to put it for everyone to see.

There were a lot of white folks against Jackson at the time, just as there are a lot of rational people today against the Trumpification (Nazification) of America!  Because that literally IS what is going on...returning to the old ways.

As for Republicanism - I have been back and forth between the two for just about forever.  Gerald Ford was still the best President we have had since Eisenhower and FDR.  I am an extreme Moderate - that is fiscally conservative, and socially liberal.  Everyone should have an equal shot at the brass ring - something we have NEVER had in this country and still do NOT have!   Not likely to have it in my lifetime at the rate we are going.   But I have been thinking about changing parties, and getting active...kind of a 'mole' so to speak, just so can vote to try to help de-Nazify today's Republican party!

The most likely icon used by the hijackers is the Pledge of Allegiance, where they gush endlessly about "one nation under God..."   Well, that means absolutely nothing at all, since they completely ignore and actively work against the last, and most important words - "with liberty and justice for all."

A lot of things have been known for hundreds of years about the evils we have perpetrated on the world.  And most of it has been rationalized and justified by quoting the Bible by the liars who claim to be the followers of Jesus!  While ignoring pretty much EVERY single thing he said (it's in the red letters of the New Testament, folks!  NONE of it in the Old Testament!)

Reservation system - just another concentration camp idea.  We had lots of experience at it by the time we used it in WWII against the Japanese.  And here is where Hitler learned about its effectiveness and learned how it's done.  

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2022, 06:40:54 pm »

That whole post was not directed at you, or directly for you - ...

I didn't really think it was but it was still worth continuing the discussion.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2022, 07:15:38 pm »

The most likely icon used by the hijackers is the Pledge of Allegiance, where they gush endlessly about "one nation under God..."  

Several places on the internet indicate that the phrase "under God" wasn't added until 1954.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2022, 07:51:53 pm »

I didn't really think it was but it was still worth continuing the discussion.

Absolutely!   That was my intent.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2022, 07:58:41 pm »

Several places on the internet indicate that the phrase "under God" wasn't added until 1954.

It came very late.   I learned the previous version and it was actually a few years - into early 60's - before we started saying it regularly.  Adoption was not universal or instantaneous.

Unlike polio shots - we got those early fast!  And a lot!   Between 1956 and 1963, I bet I got 6 or 7 shots and at least 3 sugar cubes!   Sugar cubes were better!  When they gave shots then, they loaded up a LARGE metal and glass syringe, lined up all the kids in each grade and started hitting them one after the other.  Same needle.  Until empty, then picked up the next one the nurse had filled, gave her the empty and started over again while she refilled the first one.

The one event that put me 'off' shots was when the Dr tossed it into my arm and it stuck in the bone!   That took all the fun out of it!

But we then got to say outside after dark, so we were VERY happy to get that!!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2022, 08:09:15 pm »

It's sad when someone can make a douchecanoe like Mitt Romney look good. He might generally be a pleasant person on the surface but talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing. Yes - that's a whole other topic but the high points of the Republican party now would have been the worst points of them in the past.

Trump makes any vile disgusting thing look good!   Old phrase I learned from farmer family when there was more on site animal processing and there was a truck called the 'gut wagon' came around to take all the stuff you didn't wanna keep for food or feed.    Trump fits that phrase exactly!   

"He is enough to gag a maggot off a gut wagon!"

Just to be crystal clear - that is not a compliment....

Used to be a place on highway 169, north of Nowata on east side of road.  Kinda looked like a farm silo type facility, small office, some good sized storage tanks.  Place for trucks to drive into/under the tank.  Called National By-Products.  What the family told me was they were a pretty good size rendering company - that was a collection point where they would gather up stuff to take to facilities in KS and IA.   It got torn down many years ago, but I remember how wonderful the aroma was when driving in the area!   Kinda reminded me of Hamtramck, MI.,  If anyone of you have been there, you know what I am talking about.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2022, 08:19:57 pm »

It came very late.   I learned the previous version and it was actually a few years - into early 60's - before we started saying it regularly.  Adoption was not universal or instantaneous.
We said both the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge in elementary school.  I don't remember if "under god" was part of the pledge in early elementary school.  Eventually the prayer was dropped but I don't remember when.  This was suburban Philly, PA public school.

Unlike polio shots - we got those early fast!  And a lot!   Between 1956 and 1963, I bet I got 6 or 7 shots and at least 3 sugar cubes!...
I know I had the shots but not the sugar cubes.  My younger sister got the sugar cubes.

But we then got to say outside after dark, so we were VERY happy to get that!!
We had to come home when the street lights came on but didn't necessarily have to go inside.  We could be at our yard or the kids' up the street yard.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2022, 01:22:41 pm »

We said both the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge in elementary school.  I don't remember if "under god" was part of the pledge in early elementary school.  Eventually the prayer was dropped but I don't remember when.  This was suburban Philly, PA public school.
I know I had the shots but not the sugar cubes.  My younger sister got the sugar cubes.
We had to come home when the street lights came on but didn't necessarily have to go inside.  We could be at our yard or the kids' up the street yard.

We did the Lord's Prayer too.  Went to 3 different schools for kinder, 1st, and second.  Each one had a different Lord's Prayer, and each was different from the one we said in Church every week!   Strangely confusing for 6 year olds...

Sugar cubes ruled!!

We had to come in basically when the first person was bitten by a mosquito - usually sometime a while before dark.  Some adult or older kid would somehow ALWAYS know!   And then the entire neighborhood 'scattered' to get inside.  After dark thirty we could usually come back out for a while, but sometimes that didn't work out either!

After vaccines, we could stay out no matter how many mosquito bites we got!   It was transcendental in it's magnificence!!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2022, 05:09:46 pm »

We had to come in basically when the first person was bitten by a mosquito - usually sometime a while before dark.

We used to chase the DDT truck.

Not so smart in retrospect.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2022, 07:07:07 pm »

We used to chase the DDT truck.

Not so smart in retrospect.

We would too!   Usually later at night, though.  There was a fog on the street that kinda looked like real fog.

DDT was safe, though!   I have seen the propaganda films where people would drink the stuff to show how safe it was!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2022, 10:57:21 pm »

We would too!   Usually later at night, though.  There was a fog on the street that kinda looked like real fog.
DDT was safe, though!   I have seen the propaganda films where people would drink the stuff to show how safe it was!

I guess we are bordering on thread drift but Stitt is a Trump supporter and we are talking about what used to make America Great.   Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2022, 11:40:34 pm »

Might have been safe for people.  Not so much for bird eggs, especially for Bald Eagles.  We almost wiped them out.  Saving people is good but we need to be more careful of other plants and animals.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2022, 11:02:34 am »

Might have been safe for people.  Not so much for bird eggs, especially for Bald Eagles.  We almost wiped them out.  Saving people is good but we need to be more careful of other plants and animals.

Wait a minute....what's that all about???   You starting to sound like me!  (That's gotta hurt...lol.)

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2022, 11:36:36 am »

Wait a minute....what's that all about???   You starting to sound like me!  (That's gotta hurt...lol.)

2 Aspirin

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org