A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:51:01 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhymes with "Stitt"  (Read 36734 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2021, 10:40:27 am »

I and many friends/acquaintances have been VERY active at it since age 15.  Mid 60's.   Wish it was only 'decade'.

Honestly this has been brewing since April 9th, 1865.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2021, 01:13:40 am »

I and many friends/acquaintances have been VERY active at it since age 15.  Mid 60's.   Wish it was only 'decade'.

I forgot about the 1968 Democratic National Convention.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2021, 11:10:08 am »

An interesting comparison.  https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/01/no-this-isnt-as-bad-as-1968-so-far-294187

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2021, 10:21:43 am »

Before that.

Even before Tet.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2021, 07:08:48 pm »

The Biden administration urged a federal judge on Wednesday to reject Oklahoma’s challenge to the COVID-19 vaccination requirement for National Guard members, saying the state didn’t even challenge the correct mandate.

“As an initial matter, Plaintiffs fail to challenge the vaccine requirements that apply to the National Guard,” the administration said in response to the lawsuit filed Dec. 2 by the state and 16 anonymous members of the Oklahoma National Guard.

The lawsuit challenges an executive order issued by President Joe Biden that requires federal employees to be vaccinated, the Biden administration said Wednesday, and that order doesn’t apply to the military.

That alone should prevent the state from getting a preliminary injunction to shield unvaccinated Oklahoma National Guard members from disciplinary measures, the administration said.

Even if the state had challenged the correct mandate, it still would not prevail because federal officials, not state ones, dictate military policy, the administration told Senior U.S. District Judge Stephen Friot, who is hearing the case.

In the response filed Wednesday, the Biden administration said, “Plaintiffs challenge the President’s vaccination requirements for federal employees in EO (Executive Order) 14043, issued pursuant to his authority under Title 5.

“Yet the vaccination requirements for members of the National Guard are issued pursuant to Titles 10 and 32 and have required members of the National Guard to be vaccinated against various diseases for decades.”

In declarations to the court, anonymous Air National Guard members cite various reasons for not wanting to be vaccinated and say they would suffer irreparable harm if they are forced to leave the Guard.

Biden administration attorneys argued Wednesday that the Guard members aren’t allowed to sue anonymously without prior court permission. Also, the administration said, they wouldn’t be eligible to file a lawsuit until some action was taken against them and they exhausted all of the military appeals provided.

“Here, that means a plaintiff must seek any applicable exemptions, pursue all appeals, and then if those are denied, must still wait until the military concludes any adverse action, and pursue all available appeals of adverse action,” the administration told the judge.

“There is no evidence that any of the individual Plaintiffs has done so.”

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/local/oklahoma-city/2021/12/23/oklahoma-wrong-covid-vaccine-mandate-national-guard-lawsuit-biden-administration-says/8998767002/    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/2021/12/20/oklahoma-police-officers-cops-covid-top-line-duty-deaths-vaccine-mandate-mask/6453594001/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2021, 07:32:11 pm »

This stitt needs to stop!   

Who writes the checks to the Guard?  US of America.  NOT Okrahoma!

But I bet this state will continue to elect that stitt next time, too!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2021, 10:40:21 am »

Who writes the checks to the Guard?  US of America.  NOT Okrahoma!

Senior U.S. District Judge Stephen P. Friot, a George W. Bush appointee, appeared to have little patience for the arguments advanced by the Sooner State, as he denied Oklahoma’s motion for a preliminary injunction to block the mandate.

Friot rejected the notion that mandated vaccines for COVID-19 are unduly burdensome, pointing out that it “is the one–in addition to the nine that already apply to all service members–intended to protect service members from the virus which has, in less than two years, killed more Americans than have been killed in action in all of the wars the United States has ever fought.”

"The COVID vaccination mandate should be understood against the backdrop of other military immunization mandates–which date back as far as General George Washington’s mandate that troops in the Continental Army be inoculated against smallpox."

Furthermore, Friot noted, “From day one of the military vaccine mandate, the Guard was included.” Including the National Guard was essential as a part of maintaining “a healthy and ready force.” The vaccine mandate goes to the heart of federal supervision of the military, wrote Friot, writing, “This, in the midst of a global pandemic, goes to the heart of ‘the discipline prescribed by Congress,'” to regulate its military.

https://lawandcrime.com/covid-19-pandemic/judge-denies-challenge-of-vaccine-mandate-for-national-guard-covid-has-killed-more-americans-than-all-of-the-wars-the-united-states-has-ever-fought/

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma National Guard said it will continue following the governor’s order to not require COVID-19 vaccines for troops, despite a federal judge in Oklahoma City refusing to block a federal mandate for the armed forces.

It was a scathing opinion from Federal District Judge Stephen Friot. Not only finding the state’s case against the federal mandate is without merit, Friot noted issues with the way the case was filed and cast doubt on the Oklahoma Guard’s leadership at its highest levels.

“It would be inappropriate to weigh-in on ongoing litigation. We continue to follow the (Governor’s) order and will continue to do so until a final legal determination is made,” a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma National Guard said in an email.

In November, Adj. Gen. Thomas Mancino announced Gov. Kevin Stitt had given order that soldiers and airmen in the Oklahoma National Guard be relieved from the vaccine requirement.

The judge, the father of an active duty airman, noted several times that vaccine requirements for the military are nothing new, writing they “date back as far as General George Washington’s mandate that troops in the Continental Army be inoculated against smallpox.”

He said the court would be “hard-put” to find it in the public’s interest to prohibit the mandate of an FDA approved vaccine he called “remarkably effective.”

Friot noted anonymous plaintiffs are rarely allowed and only permitted after approved by the judge, something the state did not seek until Tuesday.

The judge sympathized with the unvaccinated and wrote, “the individual non-compliant Guard members did not have the benefit of well-informed leadership at the highest level of the Oklahoma Guard.”

https://www.newson6.com/story/61cce6e4cb11a10bfe93490f/okla-national-guard-to-continue-following-governors-order-against-vaccine-mandate-despite-loss-in-court

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2021, 06:14:41 pm »

Probably even before that.  There was a lot of controversy about the disgusting, bigoted, fascist, Indian Removal Act of Andrew Jackson.  He was that era's Trump.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2022, 11:32:25 pm »

Probably even before that.  There was a lot of controversy about the disgusting, bigoted, fascist, Indian Removal Act of Andrew Jackson.  He was that era's Trump.

I believe that was before the rise of the current Republican party.  So was he a naughty Democrat?

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2022, 08:13:22 am »

I believe that was before the rise of the current Republican party.  So was he a naughty Democrat?

He was originally a Democrat-Republican which was more commonly known as Jeffersonian Republicans which then splintered into the Democratic Party and the Whigs which got absorbed by the Republican Party, and, well, let's just say it's complicated. Jackson was a bit of a dick no matter what party he was hitched to.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2022, 08:31:55 am »

From the Tulsa World:

With its hunting and fishing compact with the state of Oklahoma set to expire on Friday, the Choctaw Nation is asserting its treaty rights to allow its citizens to hunt and fish within its reservation boundaries.

At a special meeting Thursday morning in Tuskahoma, the Choctaw Nation’s Tribal Council voted unanimously to amend the tribe’s fish, game and wildlife code to allow Choctaw citizens to use their tribal identification cards in lieu of state-issued hunting or fishing licenses within the Choctaw Nation’s reservation.

Check out our latest digital-only offer and subscribe now
Along with the Cherokee Nation, the Choctaw Nation signed a hunting and fishing license compact with the state in 2016. Under its terms, each tribe bought licenses in bulk at a discounted rate that were then distributed to their citizens for free.

According to figures published by the Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes, the Cherokee Nation’s compact generated $32 million for the state, while the Choctaw Nation’s compact generated $6 million.

However, the two tribes and the state were not able to agree on renewal terms, prompting Thursday’s vote. Principal Chief Gary Batton signed the bill Thursday, and the new measure went into effect at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

“We’ve always had a good relationship with the state with respect to hunting and fishing, but we’re exercising our God-given right as Choctaw people,” Tribal Council Speaker Thomas Williston said. “I feel it is a sad state of affairs nowadays that we have had to go to extremes such as this.”

As approved, the measure only applies to Choctaw Nation citizens who hunt or fish within the reservation boundaries, which covers almost 11,000 square miles in southeastern Oklahoma. Those citizens will be required to complete a hunter safety course and register any kills via an online portal before taking the animals to a processor or taxidermist.

Bag limits will still apply under the terms of the tribe’s legal code, and federal guidelines will still be in place for duck stamps.

Additionally, hunting and fishing are still prohibited on private property without the owner’s permission. Nontribal citizens will still be required to have a valid state-issued license to hunt or fish within the reservation.

Choctaw Nation officials noted during the meeting that the tribe has a positive working relationship with area game wardens. However, Batton said the tribe is prepared to defend any Choctaw Nation citizen facing attempted prosecution through the state court system for hunting or fishing on the reservation without a state-issued license.

“We will use our tribal lawyers to defend that, because I think they (tribal citizens) should have that right,” the chief said.

The Choctaw Nation has about 10,000 enrolled citizens. Its reservation includes all of Atoka, Choctaw, Haskell, Latimer, LeFlore, McCurtain, Pittsburg and Pushmataha counties, plus portions of Bryan, Coal, Hughes, Johnston and Pontotoc counties.

A spokeswoman for Gov. Kevin Stitt declined to comment Thursday afternoon.

Cherokee Nation Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr. signed an executive order on Dec. 21 with terms similar to those approved Thursday morning by the Choctaw Nation Tribal Council.

So now the state not only doesn't get the $38m they were getting from the Cherokee and Choctaw Nations for buying hunting licenses in bulk, but we're firing up another jurisdictional rights fight between the state and the reservations. Good job Stittler. Idiot.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2022, 04:22:55 pm »

I believe that was before the rise of the current Republican party.  So was he a naughty Democrat?

Doesn't matter what he called himself - he was a disgusting maggot.  Just a continuing practitioner and enabler of genocide and extermination.  What this country had done for hundreds of years and continued to do for many more after him!

Until finally in 1978, we as a nation made one tiny little step toward ending the abomination.  Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA), October 24, 1978.   When you were in your 20's and could easily, possibly have had kids.   Imagine how you would feel if someone just came over and said they don't think you should have them, so we will just take them.  Or if they had shown up at your parents house to take you - it was happening regularly when you were that age!   Over 1/3 of Native children taken from their families!

I guess that was a big step from when only about 70-80 years before they were still offering bounties on Native scalps....

Oh, wait...I almost forgot!   We have NOT stopped ripping kids away from their parents!  Trump institutionalized it thousands of times during his time.  But hey, they are just "murderers and rapists" according to Trump and his Minions....they probably deserve it!   At least that is the rationalization they use   And they are called Republicans.  Not really, but they stole the name and hijacked the party....

Labels aren't the end all, be all.  It's what they do when they get in - like Trump.  Called himself a Republican but is not fit to lick the bottoms of the shoes of Republicans like John McCain, Mitt Romney, Gerald Ford, Dwight Eisenhower, et al.   In much the same manner as some Dems, like David Hall (OK Gov),  David Walters, et al. are unfit.

And then we get to another 'special class' like Failin' and this current piece of Stitt.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 04:27:00 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2022, 12:59:18 am »

Doesn't matter what he called himself - he was a disgusting maggot.  Just a continuing practitioner and enabler of genocide and extermination.  What this country had done for hundreds of years and continued to do for many more after him!

We know that now but at the time in white society he was a hero.  Maybe in time our present leaders will be evaluated in a more objective manner.  (Yes, Jackson was a maggot.)

Until finally in 1978, we as a nation made one tiny little step toward ending the abomination.  Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA), October 24, 1978.   When you were in your 20's and could easily, possibly have had kids.   Imagine how you would feel if someone just came over and said they don't think you should have them, so we will just take them.  Or if they had shown up at your parents house to take you - it was happening regularly when you were that age!   Over 1/3 of Native children taken from their families!

Integrating/introducing Native Americans into "white" society to allow them to succeed off the reservation was probably a reasonable goal.  The way it was done was ABSOLUTELY wrong.  Trying to eliminate Native American culture was also ABSOLUTELY wrong.  I never had kids so I cannot imagine the emotions involved.  Growing up "back east" we learned of the forced relocation of the Native Americans but didn't learn many of the details.  Kind of like the Tulsa 1921 Massacre.  Going on vacation from PA to FL, I remember getting some Cherokee and Seminole tourist trinkets. I didn't connect the relocation until after I lived here a few years.  I do understand the authority of the government.  Your are probably old enough to remember the draft. My draft lottery number was 38.

I guess that was a big step from when only about 70-80 years before they were still offering bounties on Native scalps....

Not much though.  I believe I read that scalping was originally done by either the British and/or French in the Northeast long before it was practiced out this way.  Probably more the British but I don't remember the details of the "French-Indian" wars. High School was a LONG time ago.

Oh, wait...I almost forgot!   We have NOT stopped ripping kids away from their parents!  Trump institutionalized it thousands of times during his time.  But hey, they are just "murderers and rapists" according to Trump and his Minions....they probably deserve it!   At least that is the rationalization they use   And they are called Republicans.  Not really, but they stole the name and hijacked the party....

I have stated many times that I am not a Trumpster.  Thank you for acknowledging that the Republican name and party have been hijacked.  I remain a member to try to un-hijack the party. I don't have any high hopes like the ant and the rubber tree plant or the ram and the dam.  https://www.songlyrics.com/doris-day/high-hopes-rubber-tree-plant-lyrics/

Labels aren't the end all, be all.  It's what they do when they get in - like Trump.  Called himself a Republican but is not fit to lick the bottoms of the shoes of Republicans like John McCain, Mitt Romney, Gerald Ford, Dwight Eisenhower, et al.   In much the same manner as some Dems, like David Hall (OK Gov),  David Walters, et al. are unfit.

Yep

And then we get to another 'special class' like Failin' and this current piece of Stitt.

Also Yep.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 01:08:19 am by Red Arrow » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2022, 01:15:47 am »

He was originally a Democrat-Republican which was more commonly known as Jeffersonian Republicans which then splintered into the Democratic Party and the Whigs which got absorbed by the Republican Party, and, well, let's just say it's complicated. Jackson was a bit of a dick no matter what party he was hitched to.

I kinda remember from history class there were some name changes but as we look more objectively, Jackson was not a nice person. As were many of his era.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2022, 01:28:03 am »

I'll step out on a limb here...

What Anglo-whites did to Native Americans and a lot of other races and ethnic groups, not just the African-Americans (I hope that's the Politically Correct term) was wrong. No question about it.  I do wonder though what this country would be had we treated minorities with the respect we now know they deserved.  I am part "Eastern" European.  My grandparents and father didn't have exactly an easy ride into American society. I even ran into it in Navy schools in the early 70s but nowhere as much as others.

Probably a topic for a whole 'nother thread.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org