A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:18:08 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westhope sells for $2.5m to Stuart Price  (Read 3936 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« on: October 20, 2021, 07:29:45 am »

I suppose not really development but still nice to see the property back in Tulsa hands (previously owned by Barbara Tyson of the Tyson chicken family - I didn't even know any of them lived here):

from Tulsa World
Westhope, a Tulsa home designed in the late 1920s by acclaimed architect Frank Lloyd Wright, has a new owner.

Local commercial real estate developer Stuart Price recently bought the unique block and glass home, 3704 S. Birmingham Ave., from Bat, LLC, an Arkansas limited liability company, for $2.5 million, Tulsa County land records show.

Attempts to reach Bat, LLC, Manager Harry “Chuck” Erwin III were not immediately successful. A recent owner of the residence was Barbara Tyson, a member of the family that founded Tyson Foods Inc. in Springdale, Arkansas.

Price, through a text message, declined to comment.

He is chair of Price Family Properties, which has used a work-live-play philosophy to help revitalize the commercial and multifamily properties it owns downtown.

PFP, according to the company website, manages more than 2 million square feet of commercial office space, most of it acquired several years ago from San Francisco inventor and philanthropist Maurice Kanbar.

Built in 1929, Westhope was designed for the family of Wright cousin Richard Lloyd Jones, publisher of the Tulsa Tribune. The afternoon newspaper folded in 1992.

The two-story house has 10,405 livable square feet and five-plus bathrooms, according to county property records.

Following Jones’ death in 1963, his family sold the home to architect M. Murray McCune, who succeeded in having the property listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. He also updated the kitchen and installed air conditioning, concealing the vents with grills made using Wright’s original patterns.

Westhope is among three Wright-designed buildings in Oklahoma. The others are Price Tower and the Harold Price Jr. house, both in Bartlesville.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 12:43:52 pm »

I love this house, curious if this will be their primary residence.  I’m a FLW fan and have traveled around the country seeing his most famous works like Taliesen West, Fallingwater and Robie House.  Obviously Fallingwater is one of the most famous and unique houses in the U.S. and Taliesen West is also very unique.  But I would put Robie House and Westhope in the same league yet Robie House is 10x more well-known.  The suburban Chicago location and influence on the Prairie School movement are likely part of that.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 08:22:40 am »

Found a great aerial pic of the pickle factory around 1930-31 which really shows just how big the complex is.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 08:53:54 am »

Found a great aerial pic of the pickle factory around 1930-31 which really shows just how big the complex is.

Pickle Factory?
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 10:23:10 am »

Pickle Factory?

When it was being built people asked Richard Lloyd Jones (the original owner) what it was going to be and he jokingly told them "a pickle factory".
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 12:20:31 pm »

When it was being built people asked Richard Lloyd Jones (the original owner) what it was going to be and he jokingly told them "a pickle factory".

What and where is it?  

Nevermind... I found it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westhope
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:44:53 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 09:19:24 pm »

But for the poor upkeep, the house looks modern today. It must have looked like a spaceship 90 years ago.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 03:39:54 am »

I guess I should be glad it wasn't painted white with black shutters....  Grin

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3704-S-Birmingham-Ave-Tulsa-OK-74105/22185688_zpid/
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 07:11:45 am »

Anyone wish they would donate it to the city like Frank Phillips did with Philbrook?  It's one of the more notable homes designed by FLW.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 11:07:59 am »

Anyone wish they would donate it to the city like Frank Phillips did with Philbrook?  It's one of the more notable homes designed by FLW.

Not really, although I really don't think people own a notable FLW home, they are more conservators than owners.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 12:42:55 pm »

I guess I should be glad it wasn't painted white with black shutters....  Grin

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3704-S-Birmingham-Ave-Tulsa-OK-74105/22185688_zpid/

God I hate that look.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 01:21:04 pm »

Anyone wish they would donate it to the city like Frank Phillips did with Philbrook?  It's one of the more notable homes designed by FLW.

Philbrook Museum of Art is self-supporting. In 1938, Waite and Genevieve Phillips donated their home to a private group known as the Southwest Art Association to form Philbrook, and they gifted the 23-acre gardens to the City of Tulsa Parks Department. Waite Phillips negotiated the transfer of the grounds to the Southwest Art Association in 1945 before he moved to California. Today 98 percent of Philbrook revenue comes from private donations, museum membership and gift shop revenue.

https://www.tulsapeople.com/facts-about-philbrook/article_8fce3a91-2771-56f5-97dc-4e0bb7972e22.html

You seem to have confused Frank and Waite Phillips. Waite gave Tulsa Philbrook, Frank gave Woolaroc. Both great contributions to Oklahoma.

https://www.woolaroc.org/history-of-woolaroc#:~:text=Frank%20Phillips%2C%20known%20as%20%22Uncle,which%20owns%20and%20operates%20Woolaroc.

If there is a connection between the Phillips and Frank Lloyd Wright, it's the Price Tower building in Bartlesville, the Philtower in Tulsa is an Art Deco design.

In all honesty, the next trip I plan to go back to Tulsa, I will probably spend time in the Atlas Life building and will go to Bartlesville and stay at the Price Tower.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 02:08:44 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 04:18:23 pm »

But for the poor upkeep, the house looks modern today. It must have looked like a spaceship 90 years ago.

Cool pix from a national publication:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/americasmarkets/2023/04/29/frank-lloyd-wright-westhope-tulsa-for-sale/11705471002/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org