A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:05:14 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OU & UT leaving Big 12 to join SEC  (Read 9593 times)
Laramie
City Father

« on: July 24, 2021, 11:58:00 am »

The Universities of Oklahoma (Norman) and Texas (Austin) are leaving the Big 12 conference to become members of the prestigious SEC Conference noted for its higher caliber play in NCAA Division I football.

Under the objections of Texas A & M who left the Big 12 back in 2012 to get away from its rival.

Big 12 presidents and athletic directors met via conference call on Thursday evening, and representatives of OU and UT declined to attend, the source said, because the league’s two power brokers have already decided to leave the Big 12 and will formally begin the process next week.

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman reported Friday that a prominent Big 12 source told him the move to the SEC is “almost done.” A source confirmed to SI Sooners that their exit was close.

Bohls and Stadium college football insider Brett McMurphy both reported that OU and Texas have actually been working on an exit strategy for a while now — up to 6-7 months.

McMurphy reported a source told him that OU and Texas “have been in lockstep the whole time” and had previously decided they were leaving the Big 12, but “it was just figuring out where.”

Bohls reported his source told him that while OU and Texas have been brokering with the SEC, leadership at Texas A&M was “left out of the discussions and wasn’t told about it.” Aggies athletic director Ross Bjork told reporters at SEC Media Days this week that A&M did not want to be in a conference with Texas again.

Formal proceedings that will open the door for Oklahoma and Texas to leave are expected to begin as soon as Monday, a source told SI Sooners.

Multiple outlets have reported and an SI Sooners source confirmed that the Sooners and Longhorns will tell the Big 12 next week that they do not intend to accept the league’s offer to extend the binding grant of media rights for five years, which was reported Thursday by Brian Davis of the Austin American-Statesman. After that, they will petition the SEC for membership.

However, CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd reported Friday that it could happen within “24-48 hours.”

Their timeline for OU and UT joining the SEC is murky, but will likely include negotiations, legal wrangling over contracts and buyouts, a source said. It could happen as soon as 2022 or as late as 2025 (when the current TV contracts and grant of rights expire), although somewhere in the middle is more likely, a source said.

Chip Brown of Horns247, also citing an unnamed source, reported that OU and Texas “could move quickly” also said both schools a prepared to wait out the full term of the current grant of rights if necessary.

While OU and Texas have orchestrated their landing spot, the future is dark for the rest of the Big 12.

TCU insider Jeremy Clark reported Friday that TCU, Baylor and Texas Tech have already reached out to the Pac-12.

It’s also been reported on Twitter that Kansas has reached out to the Big Ten, although that hasn't been reported by any traditional media outlets.

Oklahoma State issued a statement Wednesday saying the school would be “gravely disappointed” if OU and Texas leave, but OSU has been otherwise silent.

SI's Ross Dellinger reported Friday that SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has kept SEC presidents informed, but said the league can now "immediately take action after UT/OU notify the Big 12 of (their) exit and summit an application for membership."

OU and Texas would both need 11 of 14 votes, and Dellinger said only Texas A&M seems opposed to the move.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 12:05:11 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 12:48:26 pm »

Higher caliber of play my a$$. OU hasn't had a sniff of a national in several years, and the championship is dominated by the SEC. Since OU last won in 2000, the SEC has won 14 times.

It has been slanted to the SEC regardless of the format for the champions.

Well as the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Willing to bet the SEC hands OU and Texas their butts on platter.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 01:38:47 pm »

Higher caliber of play my a$$. OU hasn't had a sniff of a national in several years, and the championship is dominated by the SEC. Since OU last won in 2000, the SEC has won 14 times.

It has been slanted to the SEC regardless of the format for the champions.

Well as the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Willing to bet the SEC hands OU and Texas their butts on platter.

Think you misunderstood my statement; SEC overall has a higher caliber of play...

...as far as OU & UT being handed their butts on a platter; that remains to be seen.  Remember, Texas A & M, left for the SEC, Missouri for the Big 10 and Colorado for the PAC 12.   Where was the hoopla when those transitions took place.   Hope Bedlam continues...

If this move comes to fruition, it's more about a higher profile and dollars...

BTW, dbacksfan, appreciate your feedback.  This is one of the hottest topics on talk radio...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 02:18:55 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 04:00:28 pm »

Just the cynic in me coming out. The SEC has been for years playing at a higher level than anyone else. It was just the way I took the "higher caliber" comment. I looked at it a couple of ways, yes the SEC does play at a higher caliber, the other was OU and Texas feeling superior to the rest of the big twelve, which with them leaving the remaining teams can't call themselves the Big 10 because that's already taken by a division with 14 teams.

OU has had good teams over the last several years especially when you look at the players that have made it in the NFL. Well, except for Sam Bradford.

I've gotten a couple of texts from friends in Oregon asking what's up with OU and Texas and they seem to have similar thoughts about it.

I just think the first couple of seasons they will have a tough time in the SEC. It's going to be like when the Big 8 ran the wishbone and the shotgun compared to other conferences and it the other conferences time to adapt.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 06:20:18 pm »

I agree 100%.  

This is not going to be a piece of cake going to the SEC.  OU had trouble with Kansas State & Iowa State who on any given game day could knock OU off that high horse.  You have the same potential threat with a Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU or a Vanderbilt who could beat you on any given Saturday.

Oklahoma State and Iowa State posed that same threat against Texas.  

The next question is does Governor Stitt and the Oklahoma Legislature want to step in and stop this move on behave of Oklahoma State.  I'm not sure what the funding formula was for this year but I doubt if it increased much over last year to keep up with inflation. Because IIRC there were tuition/fee increases at both OU & OSU.  

If Stitt and the Oklahoma Legislature steps in to block this move, it could be detrimental for our governor and any legislators voting to block this from happening.  The football programs at both OU & UT stand to gain $22 million more estimated over what they receive with the current Big 12 contract with Fox Sports.  Texas will have to give up the Longhorn Network.

Lots of suggestions about Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State joining Iowa in the Big 10.  Oklahoma State going to the Pac 12 (Time Zone Difference) where they could provide some interesting competition for the California, Arizona and Oregon schools.

How much of a factor will academics play with these schools remain to be seen.  Oklahoma State has a great veterinary college.  Our two major universities aren't known for academics.  OU program with national merit scholars continues to help with the academics.  OU & OSU colleges of Medicine Oklahoma City-Tulsa, don't know how that factored in with the U.S. News report.

Latest academic rankings by US News: reported via OKCTalk.com

Does money talk over academics...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 06:38:52 pm by Laramie » Logged

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 06:45:09 pm »

I see that several state legislators are not happy with the decision, and the Big XII leadership has issued a cease and desist request to ESPN and the SEC claiming that OU and UT leaving will end the Big XII. I agree that if these teams leave the Big XII would soon dissolve as other teams go to other conferences. The best fit I see for the remaining teams if they defect as well is the PAC 12. Having been in PAC 12 country for the last 20+ years I see a lot of similarities, and Oklahoma State has already played Oregon State in 2019 and they played Oregon in the 2005 Holiday Bowl.

But I will still say this is nothing more than a money grab by OU & UT because they can get more revenue from TV contracts than they state can give to OU. College Football is now semi pro football with athletes getting pay for play at those schools with the best TV audience. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 08:55:31 am »

From what I understand some of it also had to do with the crappy kickoff times OU was getting (11am for over half the games).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 04:34:53 pm »

From what I understand some of it also had to do with the crappy kickoff times OU was getting (11am for over half the games).

Well, if OU didn't like 11am kickoffs they're going to love 3 to 4 losses a year in the SEC.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 09:33:22 pm »

Well, if OU didn't like 11am kickoffs they're going to love 3 to 4 losses a year in the SEC.

Probably after traveling half way across the country two to three weeks in a row, something going to Auburn then Alabama, a home game and the to Florida.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 10:59:17 am »

Probably more.   They will likely win over TN, but only barely after a couple of overtimes....like last time.

They are in for culture shock - Texas and OU - going from being the big fish in little pond to minnows in shark infested waters.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 08:15:12 pm »

Texas and Oklahoma have officially been voted in as members of the SEC by a unanimous 14-0 margin; did Texas A&M have a change of heart: https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/sec-officially-adds-texas-and-oklahoma-into-sec-with-unanimous-vote

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 12:30:33 pm »

Big 12 votes to accept adding BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF to conference

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32182361/big-12-votes-accept-adding-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-conference

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 12:46:11 pm »

Oops, My Badd,  BYU (Utah) not Idaho.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 06:44:22 pm »

Sarkey's Energy Center, Norman                                                   UT Texas Tower, Austin

Saturday, October 9, 2021 - ABC 11 A.M.                    Red River Rivalry                                          Saturday, October 9, 2021 - ABC 11 A.M.

Historic Cotton Bowl Stadium, Dallas, Texas

50 - 50 Stadium Split

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2021, 03:33:53 pm »

Oklahoma Sooners 55 - Texas Longhorns  48

Gamecast:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401287918

Highlights video feed:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDuVAwGltN4

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org