A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:48:38 pm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive new car factory for Pryor  (Read 68104 times)
Jake
Citizen

« Reply #240 on: November 08, 2022, 10:10:23 pm »

So the TIF failed lol
kvanover
Citizen

« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2022, 08:30:59 am »

Why LOL?
Jake
Citizen

« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2022, 09:58:15 am »

More of a "laugh to hide the pain" kind of lol
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2022, 10:14:14 am »

More of a "laugh to hide the pain" kind of lol

I've tried to find the specific ballot language and can't - it does seem that a lot of the narrative was around Project Ocean specifically and that this was essentially creating a blank check for the county now that they went to Kansas. I can see why that would be concerning for residents to have a $100 million+ slush fund for Mid America to do what they wanted. I do wonder if it would have played out different if people realized that they were seriously considering a second plant in Oklahoma and specific steps to dissolve the TIF if nothing was announce and/or no ability to bond the TIF versus it being a pay as you go TIF.

The county commissioner that voted against the TIF lost in the primary, so it's hard to think that people are that worried about a TIF and more so just the unknown/lack of clear communication about the project in general and the large $ involved. It could very well be a financial disaster for the county if say the county tried to bond any of that and nothing got built. I can assume Canoo's wishy washy we're building a plant, just kidding we're not, to just kidding we're building a battery facility probably spoked people too of is this TIF going to go to a legit company that isn't going to bankrupt or vanish in a year or two then residents are on the hook for $100 million +.

I also don't think there is anything that's stopping the county from just redrawing the border of the TIF and redoing the $ amount and making another. I don't think that vote did anything but cancel that specific one but doesn't restrict their ability to create others anytime they want. Obviously the same thing could happen again as voters can appeal any specific TIF at the point of creation, but if they officially announce something and people know exactly what company and where the $ is going people may not care at that point.

Mid America does need to come up with a specific housing plan, because dropping facilities that could employ 5,000 + in Mayes County would frankly be a disaster short term for housing in that area. Homes in Pryor are already outrageously expensive for a small town and without any real plan on where to build several thousand new homes quickly is going to be a legitimate concern from people who live there now.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #244 on: November 11, 2022, 09:41:39 am »

There are great lamentations in Oklahoma about how it is we never seem to get the 'big score' company to come here for business development.   As if last Tuesday's election wasn't just one more reminder to the world of our failure as a local society and functional state, I saw this;

Short background;  Rebecca Robeson is a decorator from California who moved here a year or so ago to set up shop closer to grandkids.  She seems to have had a high end clientele in CA.   She is not the point of this, though she might be of interest to people wanting to decorate for the various seasons.  Like my wife...

The notable part of this relating to Oklahoma and business development happens at 10:44 into this video when she shows a clip from another CA guy, Chris D'Elia.  I have no idea who he is, but he PERFECTLY expresses the sentiment that has so many here wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Tulsa...??   What is that?  Encompassing the entire state of Oklahoma.   His attitude IS the attitude outside of fly over country.  And we just keep on keeping on, making their pre-conceived notions a self fulfilling prophecy.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KydsPFtw5k8

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #245 on: November 11, 2022, 11:10:08 am »

The notable part of this relating to Oklahoma and business development happens at 10:44 into this video when she shows a clip from another CA guy, Chris D'Elia.  I have no idea who he is, but he PERFECTLY expresses the sentiment that has so many here wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Tulsa...??   What is that?  Encompassing the entire state of Oklahoma.   His attitude IS the attitude outside of fly over country.  And we just keep on keeping on, making their pre-conceived notions a self fulfilling prophecy.

I lived in San Francisco for a couple years right after college, and yes there are quite a few assumptions made about "flyover country"... In fact I had countless discussions with folks that just flat out did not know where anything was geographically out side of California. At first I had the whole defensive response to these people as it really pissed me off when I had to:

1. Point out where Oklahoma was
2. Prove that we aren't all a "buncha dumb racist rednecks"
3. Walk on eggshells to not offend anyone for differing opinions (heaven forbid you have some different views out there)

The density of these folks is unreal. Coupled with an insane holier than though led me to stop caring what Californians though of where I came from (and led me to get the hell out of there and hightail it to Dallas).

It is frustrating hearing opinions that paint us in a bad light but my lessons learned was just flat out to not give a damn what they think. It almost made it fun living out there just playing along this way. We have our past, but so does every other state. There have been so many improvements, but we just like to focus on the negative stuff unfortunately.

NOW, what I do think Tulsans should care about is how the region views us. I can't tell you how many times I have heard how cool of a city Tulsa is from my circles down here. As a sort of outsider now, it is incredible how much the city has grown and I love coming back and showing her off:

My friends down here in Dallas love going up to Tulsa and have called it a "more conservative Austin"
I have quite a few collogues that live in Little Rock and come over for a weekend trip and agree that Little Rock feels about 10 years behind Tulsa
My college friends that stayed in Fayetteville let me know when they want to meet up there, and even though I can't make it, they just go without me and hang out around midtown
I even have some friends I made in California meet up there and they love it. (They love the "pace")

Apologies for the rantish reply here, I just think that at times we need to step back and, knowing there is still a ways to go, acknowledge Tulsa for all it has accomplished, big and small. I will be back Thanksgiving and Christmas and cant wait to see it again!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #246 on: November 14, 2022, 10:01:03 am »

There was a TW article Sunday about a foreign traveler that visited all 50 states and Oklahoma/Tulsa was his last stop.  This was interesting:
Why Tulsa instead of Oklahoma City? Chung sought advice from his California friends who had been to the state.

“They see Tulsa as the ‘hip’ part of Oklahoma. And I can see that it really is. There’s a lot of energy, a lot going on. The most amazing thing about Tulsa is that, from the moment I got off the plane, I felt welcomed here.”

I think Tulsa definitely has a good reputation regionally, expanding that nationally is a constant work in progress.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/michael-overall-after-49-states-a-world-traveler-finally-comes-to-oklahoma-and-what-does/article_df203b80-605e-11ed-9878-ebb7ad5f9326.html#tracking-source=mp-homepage

D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #247 on: November 14, 2022, 03:44:22 pm »

There was a TW article Sunday about a foreign traveler that visited all 50 states and Oklahoma/Tulsa was his last stop.  This was interesting:
I think Tulsa definitely has a good reputation regionally, expanding that nationally is a constant work in progress.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/michael-overall-after-49-states-a-world-traveler-finally-comes-to-oklahoma-and-what-does/article_df203b80-605e-11ed-9878-ebb7ad5f9326.html#tracking-source=mp-homepage

Agreed! I jokingly tell folks down here that OKC is the worlds largest truck stop lol
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #248 on: November 15, 2022, 11:20:56 am »

1. Point out where Oklahoma was
2. Prove that we aren't all a "buncha dumb racist rednecks"
3. Walk on eggshells to not offend anyone for differing opinions (heaven forbid you have some different views out there)

I have talked repeatedly here in the past about trying to get left and right coasters to just visit.  Uphill, losing battle.

In particular, your number 2 above.... can't disprove the truth.  All they have to do is look at the news coming from Oklahoma ALL THE TIME!!!   It proves we are.   Again, as shown in last Tuesday's election, one more time.  Just gotta keep on keepin' on.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #249 on: November 17, 2022, 02:08:46 pm »

I have talked repeatedly here in the past about trying to get left and right coasters to just visit.  Uphill, losing battle.

In particular, your number 2 above.... can't disprove the truth.  All they have to do is look at the news coming from Oklahoma ALL THE TIME!!!   It proves we are.   Again, as shown in last Tuesday's election, one more time.  Just gotta keep on keepin' on.

I'm going to continue with Tulsa King, but you can already tell they're gonna lean heavily into the "hick" persona. Right off the bat he goes to a car dealership with a racists owner wearing a cowboy hat with a thick accent doing his best Boss Hog impression. Stallone calls an Uber (hence can go anywhere) and ends up in a rural smoke hole full of cowboys. He then jokes about them not having Chianti, as though we don't have a ton of wine bars and fancy places serving overpriced cocktails. He'd fit right in at Ti Amos downtown. I get it's part of the plot that he's been "banished" to this place that is so different from NYC, but it's gonna be tough for us locals to see the persona play out. At least he ended at the Mayo downtown and they shot downtown so hopefully there is some plot within city limits.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 02:10:50 pm by DowntownDan » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2022, 07:21:26 pm »

I'm going to continue with Tulsa King, but you can already tell they're gonna lean heavily into the "hick" persona. Right off the bat he goes to a car dealership with a racists owner wearing a cowboy hat with a thick accent doing his best Boss Hog impression. Stallone calls an Uber (hence can go anywhere) and ends up in a rural smoke hole full of cowboys. He then jokes about them not having Chianti, as though we don't have a ton of wine bars and fancy places serving overpriced cocktails. He'd fit right in at Ti Amos downtown. I get it's part of the plot that he's been "banished" to this place that is so different from NYC, but it's gonna be tough for us locals to see the persona play out. At least he ended at the Mayo downtown and they shot downtown so hopefully there is some plot within city limits.

Just remember "Kansas City King" was only moved to Oklahoma because we have better production incentives.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #251 on: November 18, 2022, 11:30:53 am »

Haven't seen it yet.   Don't even know where to look for it.   Probably won't bother.

Edit;  curiosity got me, so did the DuckDuckGo thing and found a trailer.  He was on the phone with someone who asked him how Tulsa was treating him.  Can NOT believe they passed up that opportunity to use a "Norm-ism"...   "Like a baby treats a diaper....!"    (Cheers reference.)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:35:08 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2022, 06:02:28 pm »

The Tulsa Whirled offered up this:

The gangster-out-of-place series “Tulsa King” starring Sylvester Stallone debuted recently on Paramount+.
To celebrate, Paramount+ is giving “the entire city of Tulsa” a free month of Paramount+, according to a recent announcement.

Ok, tell me what streaming service doesnt offer the first month free in hopes you will miss the deadline to unsubscribe before they ding your credit card?
Truly "hick-worthy."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2022, 12:23:07 pm »

The Tulsa Whirled offered up this:

The gangster-out-of-place series “Tulsa King” starring Sylvester Stallone debuted recently on Paramount+.
To celebrate, Paramount+ is giving “the entire city of Tulsa” a free month of Paramount+, according to a recent announcement.

Ok, tell me what streaming service doesnt offer the first month free in hopes you will miss the deadline to unsubscribe before they ding your credit card?
Truly "hick-worthy."

Paramount+ only does a free week preview.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #254 on: November 21, 2022, 08:45:02 am »

Paramount+ only does a free week preview.

Very generous. I stand corrected.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org