A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:40:01 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive new car factory for Pryor  (Read 68141 times)
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« on: June 17, 2021, 10:15:39 am »

https://ktul.com/news/local/electric-car-plant-coming-to-pryor

Auto manufacturer Canoo has announced it will bring 2,000 high-paying jobs to MidAmerica Industrial Park with new production site.

I have never heard of Canoo, and their cars look ridiculous, but I'm excited for the jobs! We didn't get Tesla, but this could be a great catalyst for us all the same!

Their vans do look pretty useful, but their truck model is going to need a work-over... At least they are unique!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 10:39:20 am »

Auto manufacturer Canoo has announced it will bring 2,000 high-paying jobs to MidAmerica Industrial Park with new production site.

I have never heard of Canoo, and their cars look ridiculous, but I'm excited for the jobs! We didn't get Tesla, but this could be a great catalyst for us all the same!

Their vans do look pretty useful, but their truck model is going to need a work-over... At least they are unique!

These EV manufacturers will develop clusters in different parts of the country.  Getting one plant should enable us to get others as the labor pool builds up and suppliers are attracted to the area.  This bodes well for potentially attracting other manufacturers like Tesla or Rivian. 

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 11:47:42 am »

I had never heard of this group either. The cargo van does actually look pretty useful and could be a huge market given Amazon is moving to electric delivery vans. I'm sure at some point UPS, Fedex, etc. will move that way too and seems like they are positions to be an alternative to Rivian for that segment. The truck is a bit odd to say the least. It looks more like a recreation vehicle than an actual practical everyday car. It looks like something you'd have at a vacation house to go off roading or something.

I hope this group is successful. Would definitely give our region a leg up when anyone else is looking for new locations for battery and/or electric car production by co-locating.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 03:45:48 pm »

Still a very speculative company, but really hope this works out.  Speaking of electric trucks, my old truck is hanging in there but want a new one and would like to go electric.  Would like a Tesla but am now looking at the new Ford Maverick Hybrid.  Small and inexpensive, which is great for city parking, but will still get the job done work wise, and has some nice features. The Canoo Truck looks nice and also has some fun extra features, but can't hold out that long to get something. Air just went out in the old truck, got it working again but the poor old thing aint gonna last long lol.

Will be needing a new car soon as well which is what we may hold out for in getting an all electric vehicle. They need to get these electric vehicles online asap!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 04:01:41 pm »

Air just went out in the old truck, got it working again but the poor old thing aint gonna last long lol.

I waited until the transmission went on my old car to get a new one.  The AC wasn't working for several years.   Grin

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 06:14:38 pm »

Still a very speculative company, but really hope this works out.  Speaking of electric trucks, my old truck is hanging in there but want a new one and would like to go electric.  Would like a Tesla but am now looking at the new Ford Maverick Hybrid.  Small and inexpensive, which is great for city parking, but will still get the job done work wise, and has some nice features. The Canoo Truck looks nice and also has some fun extra features, but can't hold out that long to get something. Air just went out in the old truck, got it working again but the poor old thing aint gonna last long lol.

Will be needing a new car soon as well which is what we may hold out for in getting an all electric vehicle. They need to get these electric vehicles online asap!

Off topic I know, but you might look into the plug in hybrids. Volvo's go 20-30 miles on a charge depending on the model and then have a gas tank that kicks in after that. That range gets you pretty much anywhere in town and really only use gas for longer road trips. The XC40's are a decent size and good quality and they have 100% electric version already available. The bigger SUV's XC60 & 90 have all electric models coming out in the next 12 months too. Volvo is pretty under the radar but their battery and hybrid tech is probably the closest to Tesla - just doesn't get the same attention. There's still pretty hefty tax credits for electric cars too.  

I do hope this is not a Foxconn type situation, where nothing pans out. I hope this company is successful and hopefully if they are announcing a plant for production they've got some customers lined up. The delivery/service industry seems like a good area to go after, there's not a dominate electric car producer in that segment. Tesla seems uninterested in delivery vans. Rivian is still pretty new and is likely only going to be focused on Amazon vehicle deliveries for a few years so that leaves that market wide open for someone like Canoo if they can execute on product.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 06:19:13 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 07:32:32 pm »

I had never heard of this group either. The cargo van does actually look pretty useful and could be a huge market given Amazon is moving to electric delivery vans. I'm sure at some point UPS, Fedex, etc. will move that way too and seems like they are positions to be an alternative to Rivian for that segment. The truck is a bit odd to say the least. It looks more like a recreation vehicle than an actual practical everyday car. It looks like something you'd have at a vacation house to go off roading or something.

I hope this group is successful. Would definitely give our region a leg up when anyone else is looking for new locations for battery and/or electric car production by co-locating.

I have been following this group for a while.  I think/hope they are legit.  It is an odd looking vehicle, but some of the off-road rigged out versions are pretty interesting looking.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 08:20:15 am »

Great news, hope it works out! Would love for Tulsa to build some EV momentum. Tesla is a big name, but certainly not going to be the only company building manufacturing plants.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 09:05:45 am »

Oklahoman, 06-18-2021

Electric Car Plant, good news for our sister city of Tulsa.   A plant of this size and magnitude is sure to attract a number of satellite companies to neighboring Tulsa.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:13:07 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 10:45:20 am »

This factory will be a great boost for the area.  Most of your skilled work force will be hired from the Tulsa metro area requiring an easy 44 minute drive or less on I-44 from Tulsa to Pryor.  Credit Governor Stitt who I understand was instrumental in making this possible.

Admit I' m not a fan of Governor Stitt who I like to refer to as Governor 'Jethro Bodine' Stitt; however give credit where credit is due.  Also the bidding process from the attempts to lure Tesla may have played to Tulsa advantage.  Think about the Oklahoma Quality Jobs Program which is sure to benefit Canoo .  

Now if Oklahoma can slowly phase out the State's personal income tax, it won't put Oklahoma on an even playing field; however it will be a feather in Oklahoma's cap.  You have to remember that our electric grid in Oklahoma is tied to grids throughout.  Texas is beginning to experience problems with its grid.

The last major car plant in Oklahoma was GM in Oklahoma County.  Oklahoma City was able to get an agreement with the county that the school districts wouldn't apply for school tax incentives.  Someone in Mid Del District got the big head; demanded the school districts get their due.  When plant closures hit GM, looks like some higher up in GM gave the OKC plant the ax.

The Oklahoma City GM Plant was a modern plant (now apart of Tinker AFB) with good production as they began manufacturing I believe were A frames and some early SUVs.   All that became history.  Anyway, it strengthened Tinker AFB once the county and city were able to acquire the plant.

Anyway, best of luck with Canoo.  Don't know much about their track record--hope this comes to fruition as they work cooperatively with the community and the Tulsa metro.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 11:27:43 am »

Now if Oklahoma can slowly phase out the State's personal income tax, it won't put Oklahoma on an even playing field; however it will be a feather in Oklahoma's cap.

What taxes would you add or increase to make up for the loss of the income tax?

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 12:43:40 pm »

What taxes would you add or increase to make up for the loss of the income tax?

Exactly. It has to be made up somewhere, yet everyone seems to ignore that. Because TEXAS DOES IT! That's good enough right haha?

Now if Oklahoma can slowly phase out the State's personal income tax, it won't put Oklahoma on an even playing field; however it will be a feather in Oklahoma's cap.  

Texas also has some of the most outrageous property taxes in the country. Anyone who makes less than $300,000 in Texas has a higher tax burden there than they do in Oklahoma. Your property taxes in Texas are as much or more than an average mortgage payment every month. For low, middle, and even upper middle income people in Texas, your effective tax rate can be close to 30% (not counting your federal tax rate either)... the ONLY people that tax structure actually benefits is incredibly wealthy people who have a disproportionate income to housing cost ratio.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:29:06 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 01:11:44 pm »

Exactly. It has to be made up somewhere, yet everyone seems to ignore that. Because TEXAS DOES IT! That's good enough right haha?

Texas also has some of the most outrageous property taxes in the country. Anyone who makes less than $300,000 in Texas has a higher tax burden there than they do in Oklahoma. Your property taxes in Texas are as much or more than an average mortgage payment every month. For low, middle, and even upper middle income people in Texas, your effective tax rate can be close to 30%... the ONLY people that tax structure actually benefits is incredibly wealthy people who have a disproportionate income to housing cost ratio.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=beatles+taxman&view=detail&mid=5ACF02BDEDB508E1C1C05ACF02BDEDB508E1C1C0&FORM=VIRE0&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dbeatles%2btaxman%26qs%3dEP%26pq%3dbeatles%2btax%26sc%3d8-11%26cvid%3dC1799E5C4D3B4E47AC0A4F3F16BED38B%26FORM%3dQBLH%26sp%3d1

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 10:36:43 am »

Still a very speculative company, but really hope this works out.  Speaking of electric trucks, my old truck is hanging in there but want a new one and would like to go electric.  Would like a Tesla but am now looking at the new Ford Maverick Hybrid.  Small and inexpensive, which is great for city parking, but will still get the job done work wise, and has some nice features. The Canoo Truck looks nice and also has some fun extra features, but can't hold out that long to get something. Air just went out in the old truck, got it working again but the poor old thing aint gonna last long lol.

The all-electric F-150, while not small, is tempting. Being able to power your house for 10 days with it is a big plus with PSO's annual ohnoeswehadsastormandwemightgetpowerbackoninaweek festival.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 11:53:38 am by tulsabug » Logged
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 10:40:45 am »

Texas also has some of the most outrageous property taxes in the country. Anyone who makes less than $300,000 in Texas has a higher tax burden there than they do in Oklahoma. Your property taxes in Texas are as much or more than an average mortgage payment every month. For low, middle, and even upper middle income people in Texas, your effective tax rate can be close to 30% (not counting your federal tax rate either)... the ONLY people that tax structure actually benefits is incredibly wealthy people who have a disproportionate income to housing cost ratio.

It is cute when our Texas friends brag about no income tax but then have so much more in property taxes, vehicle taxes, and on and on and on. Also they were awfully quiet about how crazy their electric bill was during that cold snap - wonder why.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org