A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:53:43 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa State Fair  (Read 12105 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: August 07, 2021, 11:25:36 am »

TULSA, Okla. — The 2021 Tulsa State Fair IS happening this year, Tulsa officials confirm during the City of Tulsa's COVID-19 press conference today.

In a banner on the website, the fair dates are listed as September 30th through October 10th this fall. The theme for the year is 11 Days of Awesome.

The 2020 fair was canceled due to the pandemic. Only some livestock events took place.

That was April, when Delta was something in India. 
In the movie "Contagion" the local governments were more concerned about the pandemic's effect on Christmas shopping than the pandemic itself.
It came across as pretty absurd until you see its real-life counterpart playing out, yet we desperately need those doses of "normal" to emotionally weather the current crisis.

The view from a hiding place under a rock is pretty dismal, but pretending nothing is wrong is lethal. 
Can we really make this work?  Obviously, things would have to be very different.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 02:06:29 pm »

TULSA, Okla. — The 2021 Tulsa State Fair IS happening this year, Tulsa officials confirm during the City of Tulsa's COVID-19 press conference today.

In a banner on the website, the fair dates are listed as September 30th through October 10th this fall. The theme for the year is 11 Days of Awesome.

The 2020 fair was canceled due to the pandemic. Only some livestock events took place.

In the movie "Contagion" the local governments were more concerned about the pandemic's effect on Christmas shopping than the pandemic itself.
It came across as pretty absurd until you see its real-life counterpart playing out, yet we desperately need those doses of "normal" to emotionally weather the current crisis.

The view from a hiding place under a rock is pretty dismal, but pretending nothing is wrong is lethal. 
Can we really make this work?  Obviously, things would have to be very different.

Are they taking any precautions?
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 10:35:27 am »

Are they taking any precautions?

I couldnt even find the word "Covid" on their website   https://www.tulsastatefair.com/
which isnt encouraging at all.

Its not likely the county would have a mandate (or that the sheriff would enforce one) if their environment is anything like this example:

Marjorie Taylor Greene fans cheered low vaccination rate
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/07/alabama-vaccine-rate-mtg/
https://twitter.com/dpakman/status/1422675527794634754

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 04:44:54 pm »

I couldnt even find the word "Covid" on their website   https://www.tulsastatefair.com/
which isnt encouraging at all.

Its not likely the county would have a mandate (or that the sheriff would enforce one) if their environment is anything like this example:

Marjorie Taylor Greene fans cheered low vaccination rate
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/07/alabama-vaccine-rate-mtg/
https://twitter.com/dpakman/status/1422675527794634754

That's seriously not good.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 06:54:46 pm »

Well, it really isn't all that bad... after all, only 600,000 have died here.  More than that died due to smallpox last time it came around and that was all Native Americans, so they really weren't people now, were they??

As Trump says, "It is what it is..."

And just in case anyone is new here and thinks for a second that any of that first paragraph are really how I feel.... No.

It's just very hard to put enough sarcasm into text to get the point across.  But be assured, it is dripping all over the place, oozing from the walls, and hanging in clumps from the ceiling!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 11:32:10 am »

A man leaving on foot from Tulsa State Fair was killed after being struck in a crosswalk on 15th Street outside Gate 8, according to police.

A man reportedly was heading north across 15th Street about 7:30 p.m. Sunday when he was struck by a westbound Ford Expedition, Tulsa Police said in a social media post.

An investigating officer determined the issue was a lack of lighting, police said.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/pedestrian-killed-leaving-tulsa-state-fair-in-dark-crosswalk-police-say/article_5b7bfb3e-2504-11ec-9df6-e7de91eb9fbb.html

Amend that to "Street lighting insufficient to overcome the glare of the midway lights."  Why is it glare from existing lights isnt taken into account in official investigations?

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 05:03:03 am »

A man leaving on foot from Tulsa State Fair was killed after being struck in a crosswalk on 15th Street outside Gate 8, according to police.

A man reportedly was heading north across 15th Street about 7:30 p.m. Sunday when he was struck by a westbound Ford Expedition, Tulsa Police said in a social media post.

An investigating officer determined the issue was a lack of lighting, police said.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/pedestrian-killed-leaving-tulsa-state-fair-in-dark-crosswalk-police-say/article_5b7bfb3e-2504-11ec-9df6-e7de91eb9fbb.html

Amend that to "Street lighting insufficient to overcome the glare of the midway lights."  Why is it glare from existing lights isnt taken into account in official investigations?

You'd think that during large events at the Expo like the Fair, the city would put up temporary lower speed limit signs, especially on that stretch of 15th. I mean - what could go wrong with bad street lighting, glaring light from the fair, lots of blind hills, and a 40mph speed limit that isn't enforced. Of course seeing how the city is handling Covid I shouldn't be surprised.  Roll Eyes
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 11:27:36 am »

You'd think that during large events at the Expo like the Fair, the city would put up temporary lower speed limit signs, especially on that stretch of 15th. I mean - what could go wrong with bad street lighting, glaring light from the fair, lots of blind hills, and a 40mph speed limit that isn't enforced. Of course seeing how the city is handling Covid I shouldn't be surprised.  Roll Eyes

KTUL took its best shot at fear-mongering with this:

"Yeah, that's a bad deal," said Mike Headrick, who has lived in the Fair Heights neighborhood his whole life. "I can't remember that happening. Ever."
"You have to watch it," he said. "Say you go over the crest of a hill and somebody is coming out from the side street, it's, you know, evasive action time."

...which didnt exactly address the topic of street lighting.

If there is going to be a push for blanket streetlights like there was with the pedestrian fatality on Cherry Street, then use Cherry Street's low-glare "shielded" lighting as your model.  Otherwise PSO will just use the high-glare junk lights in its inventory and then you will have glare year-round instead of just during the fair.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 05:15:56 pm »

Has Tulsa installed any crosswalk signals to improve pedestrian safety? Something like the HAWK Pedestrian signal? I know most drivers in Tulsa would not pay attention to them though.

https://www.phoenix.gov/streets/safety-topics/hawk-pedestrian-beacon-information

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 10:06:33 pm »

Has Tulsa installed any crosswalk signals to improve pedestrian safety? Something like the HAWK Pedestrian signal? I know most drivers in Tulsa would not pay attention to them though.

https://www.phoenix.gov/streets/safety-topics/hawk-pedestrian-beacon-information

Cherry Street (15th) and Brookside do have these amber strobes. The tiny picture doesnt do it justice.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org