A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:09:09 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stitt's Unholy Alliance With Epic Charter Schools  (Read 6227 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: December 09, 2020, 08:33:12 pm »

I still follow news from Oklahoma and Tulsa almost daily.  I've been loosely following as the Epic Charter School saga has unfolded over the last year or so.  A couple of articles from the Tulsa World had me curious why Governor Stitt has been so steadfast in running interference for Epic.  Has anyone started looking at prior business relationships between him and principals of Epic?

Apparently anything at Epic hasn't risen to criminal proportions as they are still open for business.  It just seems like oversight of Epic has been incredibly slipshod and there's almost like a cult surrounding this charter school.  I'm not sure I'd heard of Epic prior to moving away from Tulsa.  Who do they appeal to?  Are they some sort of church-affiliated group that started this?  I know Stitt is a deep fundie and big school voucher advocate so that sort of made sense he'd be a fan.  From the sounds of it, Epic has been incredibly profitable for a few in it's administration and board.

I'm surprised I've not seen much chatter on the issue, curious if anyone wants to chime in.  First he removes the president of the virtual learning board because he's been leading an investigation into Epic.  Then Stitt removes a state BOE board member who wanted to pull back $11 million in funding from Epic and wanted a mask mandate in schools.  Then Stitt's replacement for the board declines the position claiming intimidation and Stitt goes off on teacher unions, etc. She's also a rabid anti-masker.

Stitt is a really troubling governor between injecting an overtone of almost religious cultism and some seriously blatant corruption running interference for Epic, or is that part of his self-appointed religious mission as well?  What troubles me even more is if he were to be indicted at some point prior to the next election, I can see him getting reelected.  

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/stitt-removes-board-president-leading-inquiries-into-epic-charter-schools-and-board-member-conflicts-of/article_130a8a24-2608-11eb-bef1-438bf1547bb6.html

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/gov-kevin-stitts-new-appointee-to-state-board-of-education-backs-out/article_c2cd31e6-38d2-11eb-a9f0-b3c50aca8766.html#utm_source=tulsaworld.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fbreaking&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=a3596d1651fd2cc87a5a98a0071079fbea7fd2c4
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:21:02 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 08:47:00 pm »

Stitt is a really troubling governor between injecting an overtone of almost religious cultism and some seriously blatant corruption running interference for Epic, or is that part of his self-appointed religious mission as well.  What troubles me even more is if he were to be indicted at some point prior to the next election, I can see him getting reelected.  

Gov. Stitt defends appointment of anti-mask crusader to Education Board
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt on Monday rescinded his appointment to the State Board of Education of an Enid woman who led an anti-mask crusade.

Melissa Crabtree had faced fierce criticism from Democrats in the Legislature and some public education groups for social media posts in which she shared misinformation about the coronavirus and vaccines. The posts were first reported by the nonprofit journalism website Oklahoma Watch and were later hidden from public view on her Facebook page.

“Ms. Crabtree is a loving mother and wife, and her public school teaching experience and work with special needs children would have been valuable assets to our state. However, it’s become clear that Democrats and unions only value the voices of teachers when they are willing to fall in line with their political agendas."

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/education/gov-stitts-new-appointee-to-oklahoma-state-board-of-education-backs-out/article_c2cd31e6-38d2-11eb-a9f0-b3c50aca8766.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 03:52:36 pm »

Little old but Stitt is still around as is Hofmeister.

Was told about this and response was, "No way."   The saw this about Hofmeister and fell out laughing!   But yeah, I can see how she would be stupid enough to think anyone would accept her as a Dem, let alone someone interested in education!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-schools-leader-switches-parties-132211190.html

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 04:22:34 pm »

Little old but Stitt is still around as is Hofmeister.

Was told about this and response was, "No way."   The saw this about Hofmeister and fell out laughing!   But yeah, I can see how she would be stupid enough to think anyone would accept her as a Dem, let alone someone interested in education!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-schools-leader-switches-parties-132211190.html

We wouldnt necessarily have to accept her as a dem, but rather as a better alternative to someone who has more loyalty to extremist party members than the lives of his constituents.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/politics/oklahoma-joy-hofmeister-2022/index.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 05:10:05 pm »

We wouldnt necessarily have to accept her as a dem, but rather as a better alternative to someone who has more loyalty to extremist party members than the lives of his constituents.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/politics/oklahoma-joy-hofmeister-2022/index.html

This. An actual Democrat isn't electable in Oklahoma. She is far preferable to Stitt or Fallon. Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 01:11:00 pm »

The founders of Epic Charter Schools have been arrested.

https://www.newson6.com/story/62b4b8d82558180728f95320/founders-of-epic-charter-schools-arrested
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 04:51:59 pm »

Clearly they didn't pay off the right people.  Roll Eyes
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 05:15:39 pm »

Clearly they didn't pay off the right people.  Roll Eyes

It would be sad if they do serious time and implicate Stitt. So so sad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org