A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:49:03 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eugene Field/River West Neighborhood  (Read 8292 times)
TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 03:23:58 pm »

North Tulsa doesn't need another stadium. People are pissed off enough about BMX and the ballpark, I can only imagine how people would react to a soccer stadium and one that would have to be built on land that used to be the historic commercial core of Greenwood. The land between the OSU building and Evans-Fintube is part of the 'Our Legacy' master plan that's underway now. Most likely this area will become infill development of some sort now that it has been pried out of UCAT/OSU's hands and is owned by the city.

My oddball site I think a stadium would be cool to be built is 41st Street on the west side of the river (either on the Dolese Brothers site or Miller Truck site right on the river bank) and just south of the West Bank Soccer Complex. The team could renovate that complex and use it for youth leagues as well. It would tie in well to getting an MLS team in the future as that set up is typical of other franchises.

That entire industrial area between I-44, Hwy 75, and the refinery could be redeveloped into mixed-use projects and connect into Red Fork. Easy access from downtown too and from the south and east via highways, could extend/expand the river trails through the area too and fully connect into Turkey Mountain. Maybe even build a bridge across the river along the 41st Street corridor to connect directly into Midtown/Brookside by extending the I-44 frontage roads across the river for better connectivity into Midtown too. As the neighborhood redevelops build a streetcar or LRT line from here up through Eugene Field and into downtown and on from there with the railroad ROW that's already there. Could also be a catalyst for commuter rail down to Jenks/Bixby and possibly extending rail from downtown to the airport in addition to a direct Streetcar or LRT line into downtown.  

I like this idea --- a combo vehicle/transit/pedestrian bridge from the east bank to the west bank on 41st and a big time stadium there.  I like a Tulsa Landing style mixed-use development for the concrete plant.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 09:10:54 am »

I like this idea --- a combo vehicle/transit/pedestrian bridge from the east bank to the west bank on 41st and a big time stadium there.  I like a Tulsa Landing style mixed-use development for the concrete plant.

If the city acquires the concrete plant it will be park/green space, which is what it should be.  Tulsa Landing-type development could be where the apartments are located north of the cove at River West Park. That is the perfect location for docks where you could rent boats and kayaks.  This is also where there could be a ferry that connects to the Gathering Place.  All of that is possible once the new low water dam is finished next year and there is a constant level Zink Lake past the 244 bridge.

This is old but some of these same concepts could be applied to the new larger riverfront park, like the amphitheater, expanded festival green, new boathouse/docks in the cove and potentially a new cultural attraction along the waterfront closer to 23rd St. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 02:23:58 pm by SXSW » Logged

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2022, 09:48:31 am »

I would still prefer a soccer stadium to provide infill downtown, but I'd be good with a plan for this site if done right and as part of a broader development with amenities, open space, and residential. The lot is huge, plenty of room for everything to get something done well, with a view of the skyline, and water access to the east side and Gathering Place. I just hope they find a parking solution that isn't an ocean sized parking lot like the rendering for the baseball stadium.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2022, 12:34:41 pm »

I would still prefer a soccer stadium to provide infill downtown, but I'd be good with a plan for this site if done right and as part of a broader development with amenities, open space, and residential. The lot is huge, plenty of room for everything to get something done well, with a view of the skyline, and water access to the east side and Gathering Place. I just hope they find a parking solution that isn't an ocean sized parking lot like the rendering for the baseball stadium.

Completely agree, that would’ve been a disaster.  So glad we ended up with ONEOK Field. 

Interesting that this 2005 concept foreshadowed the Blue Rose/Sandbar and Cosmopolitan at Riverside & Denver, and the “future redevelopment area” that is the River West mixed-income residential development.  This also included the City of Tulsa property south of 23rd St which could eventually tie into the riverfront park as well.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 04:38:27 pm »

They are currently demolishing the empty warehouse at 23rd & Maybelle.  Anyone know what is planned?  The site plan shows a small grocery store on this parcel.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2023, 03:50:40 pm »

The site is completely cleared. 

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2023, 07:48:59 pm »

Anyone know what is planned?

Oasis Fresh Market using ARPA funds.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 11:05:46 am »

Oasis Fresh Market using ARPA funds.

Good for AJ.  While I wish River West was more dense it is turning out to be a nice redevelopment for the area, and having a grocery store within walking distance is a great amenity for residents.  The next target for redevelopment by THA should be the apartments to the south of 23rd St.  Even better if they could integrate the strip center at Jackson into a larger mixed-use project. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org