A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:07:47 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eugene Field/River West Neighborhood  (Read 8285 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« on: September 27, 2020, 04:21:22 pm »

Figured I'd start a new topic for this area.

Phase I is under construction and there's six additional phases planned/funded already and will be a total of $180-200 million. So over the next 2-3 years there should be several hundred new low income and mixed income units built. All designed in a more walkable design. This neighborhood is going to feel a lot different. Looks like even a new grocer is going to be built but not sure if it will be a local collaboration or if it will be a more national tenant like a Walmart Neighborhood Market, etc.

https://tulsaworld.com/business/eugene-field-of-dreams-river-west-development-aims-to-transform-neighborhood/article_843e7760-fd0d-11ea-8201-c319c8e85f4d.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:00:23 pm »

This is a great project, that area was in serious need of some TLC.  I'd like to see the concrete plant along the river eventually turned into a green space that ties into the festival park.  Gathering Place is awesome as a highly programmed park space but there really needs to be a larger open green space along the river in this area, something like Auditorium Shores in Austin.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 10:12:28 am »

Site Plan - this is a big project!  Hopefully they can tackle redeveloping the low-income housing south of 23rd St next that integrates that strip center at 23rd & Jackson converting it into a mixed-use building with sidewalk-facing retail and/or restaurants.

Renderings

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 08:26:26 pm »

As work continues on the first phase of this project I noticed something interesting on the site plan.  It shows the Mid-Continent concrete plant as a developed parcel .  Makes me wonder if GKFF could be involved in acquiring that land for development and/or riverfront park space.  

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 08:40:04 pm »

As work continues on the first phase of this project I noticed something interesting on the site plan.  It shows the Mid-Continent concrete plant as a developed parcel .  Makes me wonder if GKFF could be involved in acquiring that land for development and/or riverfront park space.  

I believe Kaiser has maintained a purchase option on that site for a long time - like over a decade.  I don’t have a link off the top of my head but some googling would probably confirm this. It’s just a matter of time till the concrete plant goes away. I think it’s a possibility for a soccer stadium site but you’d have to ask the Craft family about that.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 10:44:13 am »

I believe Kaiser has maintained a purchase option on that site for a long time - like over a decade.  I don’t have a link off the top of my head but some googling would probably confirm this. It’s just a matter of time till the concrete plant goes away. I think it’s a possibility for a soccer stadium site but you’d have to ask the Craft family about that.

Interesting.  Selfishly I would like to see most of this site turned into a riverfront park space keeping the Mid-Con office building for a community center.  That space combined with River West would be great for big festivals like OktoberFest. If we're going to build a soccer stadium the City of Tulsa yard south of 23rd would be a better spot.  

brettakins
Activist

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:37 pm »

https://tulsaworld.com/business/local/watch-now-river-west-development-works-to-improve-lives-in-eugene-field-neighborhood/article_eb8d2dda-9614-11eb-a557-1f12a98df661.html?fbclid=IwAR0u-JfcIfZDOi3qgKvDE9BmmAYQjCtavLDJWqVdJZozbm0q3Zx8PL1H3Os

https://ktul.com/news/local/river-west-first-residents?video=55cc092ee5bd47cab29eaa91e3e5292f&jwsource=cl
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 02:29:46 pm »

What an improvement.  Now let's make that riverfront park on the Mid-Con site happen!

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 11:19:30 pm »

What an improvement.  Now let's make that riverfront park on the Mid-Con site happen!

It sounds like RiverParks is interested in purchasing the Mid-Con property to expand River West Festival Park.  They just need to source funding.  That would be AMAZING to have a huge riverfront park in this location.  Not just for Oktoberfest but you could have a larger outdoor amphitheater and, most importantly, convert that industrial property to green space.  This could be one of the most significant developments since the Gathering Place.

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 10:06:37 am »

I finally remembered where I got the idea there was a purchase option out there on the property - the Warrens had negotiated it way back when they were trying to get the Channels built. They had an option back then to purchase the land for $37 milllion. And then when the 2007 river development sales tax was voted on and failed, the estimate was $52 million - and I think at that time the purchase option still existed and would have been exercised on behalf of the city. I assume the option has expired by now. Those numbers seem high even today for the dirt value of that site.

I think it would be a great site for a soccer-specific stadium, festival parking, and additional park space. Second only to Nordam (which I assume won’t happen).
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 11:27:36 am »

I finally remembered where I got the idea there was a purchase option out there on the property - the Warrens had negotiated it way back when they were trying to get the Channels built. They had an option back then to purchase the land for $37 milllion. And then when the 2007 river development sales tax was voted on and failed, the estimate was $52 million - and I think at that time the purchase option still existed and would have been exercised on behalf of the city. I assume the option has expired by now. Those numbers seem high even today for the dirt value of that site.

I think it would be a great site for a soccer-specific stadium, festival parking, and additional park space. Second only to Nordam (which I assume won’t happen).

I still think somewhere downtown would be better for the soccer stadium, in between OSU-Tulsa and Evans-Fintube.  The riverfront should remain mostly park space and tie into the existing River West festival park.  I'd like to see an actual amphitheater built.

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 12:14:00 pm »

I still think somewhere downtown would be better for the soccer stadium, in between OSU-Tulsa and Evans-Fintube.  The riverfront should remain mostly park space and tie into the existing River West festival park.  I'd like to see an actual amphitheater built.

I mean it’s 27 acres of dirt, there’s room for all of the above. The article talks about overflow parking, a Ferris wheel, hotel/restaurant options, etc. A multiuse soccer-specific stadium with parking would satisfy the festival needs and act as a performance venue. I know that site has been on the list of options for a long time.

As an aside, where would you fit a stadium north of the IDL? Shoehorned in next to Vernon AME?
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 12:57:49 pm »

I still think somewhere downtown would be better for the soccer stadium, in between OSU-Tulsa and Evans-Fintube.  The riverfront should remain mostly park space and tie into the existing River West festival park.  I'd like to see an actual amphitheater built.

North Tulsa doesn't need another stadium. People are pissed off enough about BMX and the ballpark, I can only imagine how people would react to a soccer stadium and one that would have to be built on land that used to be the historic commercial core of Greenwood. The land between the OSU building and Evans-Fintube is part of the 'Our Legacy' master plan that's underway now. Most likely this area will become infill development of some sort now that it has been pried out of UCAT/OSU's hands and is owned by the city.

My oddball site I think a stadium would be cool to be built is 41st Street on the west side of the river (either on the Dolese Brothers site or Miller Truck site right on the river bank) and just south of the West Bank Soccer Complex. The team could renovate that complex and use it for youth leagues as well. It would tie in well to getting an MLS team in the future as that set up is typical of other franchises.

That entire industrial area between I-44, Hwy 75, and the refinery could be redeveloped into mixed-use projects and connect into Red Fork. Easy access from downtown too and from the south and east via highways, could extend/expand the river trails through the area too and fully connect into Turkey Mountain. Maybe even build a bridge across the river along the 41st Street corridor to connect directly into Midtown/Brookside by extending the I-44 frontage roads across the river for better connectivity into Midtown too. As the neighborhood redevelops build a streetcar or LRT line from here up through Eugene Field and into downtown and on from there with the railroad ROW that's already there. Could also be a catalyst for commuter rail down to Jenks/Bixby and possibly extending rail from downtown to the airport in addition to a direct Streetcar or LRT line into downtown.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 01:09:09 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 01:06:53 pm »

I've heard the $30 and $35 million price from multiple groups/people even as recent as 3-4 years ago. I'd imagine that'll be the price target they take it to the market at... $30 million is a lot for that site even now so hopefully they don't come out with something ridiculous like $50 million + or nothing will ever happen. They may think the city/county is willing to fork over that much though so who knows.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 02:43:02 pm »

North Tulsa doesn't need another stadium. People are pissed off enough about BMX and the ballpark, I can only imagine how people would react to a soccer stadium and one that would have to be built on land that used to be the historic commercial core of Greenwood. The land between the OSU building and Evans-Fintube is part of the 'Our Legacy' master plan that's underway now. Most likely this area will become infill development of some sort now that it has been pried out of UCAT/OSU's hands and is owned by the city.

My oddball site I think a stadium would be cool to be built is 41st Street on the west side of the river (either on the Dolese Brothers site or Miller Truck site right on the river bank) and just south of the West Bank Soccer Complex. The team could renovate that complex and use it for youth leagues as well. It would tie in well to getting an MLS team in the future as that set up is typical of other franchises.

That entire industrial area between I-44, Hwy 75, and the refinery could be redeveloped into mixed-use projects and connect into Red Fork. Easy access from downtown too and from the south and east via highways, could extend/expand the river trails through the area too and fully connect into Turkey Mountain. Maybe even build a bridge across the river along the 41st Street corridor to connect directly into Midtown/Brookside by extending the I-44 frontage roads across the river for better connectivity into Midtown too. As the neighborhood redevelops build a streetcar or LRT line from here up through Eugene Field and into downtown and on from there with the railroad ROW that's already there. Could also be a catalyst for commuter rail down to Jenks/Bixby and possibly extending rail from downtown to the airport in addition to a direct Streetcar or LRT line into downtown.  

41st & Elwood would be a great spot next to the existing soccer fields.  Assuming there is a bridge built at 41st which has been proposed in the past. 

The possibilities of what you could do with 27 acres of riverfront land with the best skyline views, and direct access to 23rd St and midtown, are endless.  The key first step would be to make sure it gets bought by the city and stays in public ownership. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org