A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:53:21 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Development at 31st/Peoria?  (Read 42771 times)
ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2020, 11:12:44 am »

I don’t disagree with that premise and want to see more density along the corridor but would rather see commercial space concentrated in existing commercial districts like Brookside south of Crow Creek (plenty of room for increased density along that corridor), Cherry St around 15th and the Pearl from the BA north to 244 (LOTS of opportunity along that corridor).  

I do think you could integrate commercial space into a development at this corner but the proposal they put forward wasn’t the way to do it.  If you’re going to urbanize that corner build up to the sidewalk, no plazas unless it’s for a large outdoor seating area.  If you concentrate the density along the street where it belongs you could lower the density on the neighborhood side and preserve more of the big trees on that site.

Your second paragraph is an entirely rational objection to the project as presented. Essentially you’re hoping for community involvement in improving the form and function of the design. Wonderful. However, the problem is in this and SO MANY other projects the reflexive “no change is good change” attitude in Tulsa is killing us. Hell, even the Tesla factory proposed for way out on 412 was facing opposition because the city might grow and people were offended that a big old marketing tool (the driller) was being temporarily used for marketing. I mean is it actually the case that Tulsans just want this city to stagnate forever? If so I’ve severely overestimated the future of this town.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2020, 11:57:26 am »

Your second paragraph is an entirely rational objection to the project as presented. Essentially you’re hoping for community involvement in improving the form and function of the design. Wonderful. However, the problem is in this and SO MANY other projects the reflexive “no change is good change” attitude in Tulsa is killing us. Hell, even the Tesla factory proposed for way out on 412 was facing opposition because the city might grow and people were offended that a big old marketing tool (the driller) was being temporarily used for marketing. I mean is it actually the case that Tulsans just want this city to stagnate forever? If so I’ve severely overestimated the future of this town.

There will always be NIMBY's.  Tulsa actually seems to get more accomplished than many other cities in this regard where all new developments gets scrutinized.  The same thing would happen in just about any other city if a high density project were proposed in a wealthy upper-class neighborhood of single-family homes.  Propose the same thing at 36th & Peoria and there would be some pushback but not nearly as much as this site.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2021, 04:08:07 pm »

Curious if there is any news on the redesign for this project?  Last I heard they were going to take some of the neighborhood feedback and present a new plan.  This is a great site in the middle of midtown and I think higher density residential is appropriate.  Maybe not a midrise and maybe not even retail but townhomes or apartments similar to the development to the east.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2021, 11:06:43 am »

Something that popped up in a BOA meeting was this was requested to be moved into an area of stability from area of growth and was denied.

http://www.tulsaplanning.org/tmapc/cases/CPA-96.pdf

Council fees were even waived, signature on the app says Tulsa City Council.. anyone have more details on this? Seems odd.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2022, 12:56:14 pm »

The 7 acres including the house is on the market.  $15 million

Seems like a good play for a residential developer to acquire and build homes so they don’t have to deal with a rezoning. 

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2022, 03:10:53 pm »

A Tulsa family bought the property and plan to renovate the house and live in it

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulsa-family-buys-patterson-estate-for-13-million-there-will-be-no-redevelopment/article_8ce68bca-2937-11ed-ace5-732a3a6d1717.html

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2022, 04:38:32 pm »

Big missed opportunity for some awesome high quality densification and a massive shot in the arm for Brookside, but I admit there would have been some challenges along the way and the neighbors were right to be concerned. At least this makes most people happy by preserving a house with some history and a nice little wooded area.

If only we could get a similar project to take root on the south side of Brookside.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2022, 04:54:25 pm »

Big missed opportunity for some awesome high quality densification and a massive shot in the arm for Brookside, but I admit there would have been some challenges along the way and the neighbors were right to be concerned. At least this makes most people happy by preserving a house with some history and a nice little wooded area.

If only we could get a similar project to take root on the south side of Brookside.

There is the Ross Group mixed-use apartment project at 36th that will likely start next summer.  I have also heard there is a proposal for the BOK at 33rd that could involve a boutique hotel.  And the Brookside Collective plans to eventually build an expansion on the temp park space to the north of their building at 37th Pl.  

The biggest opportunity involves redeveloping the NE corner of 36th (Bank of the West, Jimmy Johns) and the old Mecca/Brookside Tattoo at 33rd, though I’ve heard that landlord doesn’t want to sell even after several offers. 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2022, 10:18:17 pm »

The biggest opportunity involves redeveloping the NE corner of 36th (Bank of the West, Jimmy Johns) and the old Mecca/Brookside Tattoo at 33rd, though I’ve heard that landlord doesn’t want to sell even after several offers. 

Landlord is probably making enough $ or is reluctant to sell because potential buyers want to put in drive thru businesses.  I just wish Mecca still had their location at 101st & Sheridan.  41st & Peoria is a long drive for a few spices.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2022, 07:12:13 am »

Landlord is probably making enough $ or is reluctant to sell because potential buyers want to put in drive thru businesses.  I just wish Mecca still had their location at 101st & Sheridan.  41st & Peoria is a long drive for a few spices.

Not at all, they don't want to sell because it is in a family trust and cash flows so no real reason to improve the property.  I know a local developer who wants to do a mixed-use project with retail on the first floor and offices above if they could only acquire that building and parking lot.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2022, 08:26:44 am »

Good.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2022, 10:31:02 am »

Not at all, they don't want to sell because it is in a family trust and cash flows so no real reason to improve the property.  I know a local developer who wants to do a mixed-use project with retail on the first floor and offices above if they could only acquire that building and parking lot.

That's so frustrating because that location is so great, but the building/parking lot is a massive eyesore that gets worse by the day.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2022, 10:36:25 am »

I'm a Brookside resident and am bummed about this not happening.

What I don't understand about the "concern" is ... if you live in Brookside why are you complaining about a new commercial development? Isn't part of the appeal of living in Brookside that you are close to a walkable commercial area with restaurants, bars, shops, etc.?  I know that's certainly appealing to me, and one of the reasons I bought a house in Brookside.

If you want to live in a quiet neighborhood with no traffic and/or commercial development around it, why not move to the suburbs? There are plenty of homes out there far away from any commercial development.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2023, 04:33:26 am »

So, looking at some of the property evaluations from the Tulsa County Assessors website, the homes that back up to the original planned site have gone up $90k to over $130k since 2021 without the development being built. There are a couple of plots that haven't changed, I would be curious as to how much values would have gone up for a 4 or 5 story apartment complex that the proposed developers stated would not have enough parking spaces would have increased the valuation.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2023, 10:16:56 am »

So, looking at some of the property evaluations from the Tulsa County Assessors website, the homes that back up to the original planned site have gone up $90k to over $130k since 2021 without the development being built. There are a couple of plots that haven't changed, I would be curious as to how much values would have gone up for a 4 or 5 story apartment complex that the proposed developers stated would not have enough parking spaces would have increased the valuation.

The Assessor went crazy this year.  Most of the homes in my neighborhood went up by about 50%.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 10:22:35 am by Red Arrow » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org