A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 10, 2021, 01:42:08 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Development at 31st/Peoria?  (Read 10309 times)
ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2020, 11:12:44 am »

I don’t disagree with that premise and want to see more density along the corridor but would rather see commercial space concentrated in existing commercial districts like Brookside south of Crow Creek (plenty of room for increased density along that corridor), Cherry St around 15th and the Pearl from the BA north to 244 (LOTS of opportunity along that corridor).  

I do think you could integrate commercial space into a development at this corner but the proposal they put forward wasn’t the way to do it.  If you’re going to urbanize that corner build up to the sidewalk, no plazas unless it’s for a large outdoor seating area.  If you concentrate the density along the street where it belongs you could lower the density on the neighborhood side and preserve more of the big trees on that site.

Your second paragraph is an entirely rational objection to the project as presented. Essentially you’re hoping for community involvement in improving the form and function of the design. Wonderful. However, the problem is in this and SO MANY other projects the reflexive “no change is good change” attitude in Tulsa is killing us. Hell, even the Tesla factory proposed for way out on 412 was facing opposition because the city might grow and people were offended that a big old marketing tool (the driller) was being temporarily used for marketing. I mean is it actually the case that Tulsans just want this city to stagnate forever? If so I’ve severely overestimated the future of this town.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2020, 11:57:26 am »

Your second paragraph is an entirely rational objection to the project as presented. Essentially you’re hoping for community involvement in improving the form and function of the design. Wonderful. However, the problem is in this and SO MANY other projects the reflexive “no change is good change” attitude in Tulsa is killing us. Hell, even the Tesla factory proposed for way out on 412 was facing opposition because the city might grow and people were offended that a big old marketing tool (the driller) was being temporarily used for marketing. I mean is it actually the case that Tulsans just want this city to stagnate forever? If so I’ve severely overestimated the future of this town.

There will always be NIMBY's.  Tulsa actually seems to get more accomplished than many other cities in this regard where all new developments gets scrutinized.  The same thing would happen in just about any other city if a high density project were proposed in a wealthy upper-class neighborhood of single-family homes.  Propose the same thing at 36th & Peoria and there would be some pushback but not nearly as much as this site.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2021, 04:08:07 pm »

Curious if there is any news on the redesign for this project?  Last I heard they were going to take some of the neighborhood feedback and present a new plan.  This is a great site in the middle of midtown and I think higher density residential is appropriate.  Maybe not a midrise and maybe not even retail but townhomes or apartments similar to the development to the east.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org