A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:50:51 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla's Big F***ing Field  (Read 104568 times)
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2020, 12:31:54 pm »

The location appears to be the southeast corner of Hwy 412 and the Creek turnpike.  Wagoner County but in Tulsa's city limits.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2020, 12:34:51 pm »

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2020, 12:42:29 pm »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-makes-visit-to-tulsa/article_75fe10c3-5fc4-54d1-9d9c-ffee4c1b50c5.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

So....if this site has a view of downtown, that pretty much rules out Inola, or anything in the east Tulsa area. Is this proposed site on the west side of the river? Didn't the city offer some land over there to Amazon for HQ2? There's rail access all over the place, which is probably the most important thing for a car manufacturer.

Could very well be wrong, but kine of looks like somewhere near the Kimberly Clark Plant given the background (look at the transmission line tower in the back of the photo in the article), looks kinda of like those... that area you can see Downtown Tulsa as well from those bluffs around White Hawk.

https://goo.gl/maps/fb93WQTDUjBqtY5s5

My other guesses would be Bales Park (the city had offered to swap this site with Simon at one point and relocate the park/housing elsewhere).

There's a big field of land on the west end of Chandler Park that's privately owned.

Then the last potential sites I can think of would be the Northwest Passage area which you can see Downtown from many of the hills in that area.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2020, 12:46:06 pm »

The location appears to be the southeast corner of Hwy 412 and the Creek turnpike.  Wagoner County but in Tulsa's city limits.

Ah yes, didn't even think about that you can see Downtown driving in from 412, would make sense that's the location. I think that area has transmission lines from GRDA too right? He could get power from a renewable source for the plant too.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2020, 12:52:42 pm »

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2020, 03:12:00 pm »

Yep looks like that is the site, and it is indeed within Tulsa city limits.  If the plant goes there you have to believe that would be a major boon for the areas of East Tulsa between 169 and the Creek south of 44.

Are those old pit mines over there?  I know there is a lot of mining in that area closer to the port.

smitteebc
Citizen

« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2020, 04:45:40 pm »

It appears to be right here based on the slides shared.

Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2020, 06:04:48 pm »

It appears to be right here based on the slides shared.

I was originally told that was one of the two proposed sites. Wasn't sure if it was east or west side of the turnpike though. I didn't think you could see downtown from there though
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2020, 06:33:03 pm »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-makes-visit-to-tulsa/article_75fe10c3-5fc4-54d1-9d9c-ffee4c1b50c5.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

So....if this site has a view of downtown, that pretty much rules out Inola, or anything in the east Tulsa area. Is this proposed site on the west side of the river? Didn't the city offer some land over there to Amazon for HQ2? There's rail access all over the place, which is probably the most important thing for a car manufacturer.

Something very strange about the picture with all the people.  No one is sweating.  That just ain't possible last Friday.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2020, 11:07:29 pm »

The one thing this site doesn’t have currently is rail access, maybe that’s not that important?  Not sure if the Austin site has it or not.  I know I prefer this location to Inola.  East Tulsa could really use a shot in the arm but this would also be a major boost for BA and Catoosa/Verdigris.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2020, 11:37:34 am »

The one thing this site doesn’t have currently is rail access, maybe that’s not that important?  Not sure if the Austin site has it or not.  I know I prefer this location to Inola.  East Tulsa could really use a shot in the arm but this would also be a major boost for BA and Catoosa/Verdigris.

It doesn't, the site they picked out in Austin doesn't either. I was wrong on that end, Tesla is always a bit out of the box so guess they aren't as concerned about rail access. Maybe they feel like once the Semi is in production they'll just do shipping that way instead of via rail? Who knows.

I think this site is owned by one of the Waltons - they own the land to the north of 412 as well and several 100 acres to the south too. I think at one point almost 2 decades ago they had looked into building a NASCAR stadium on that site but nothing materialized on that and it's just been ranch land since.

Even if Austin is picked this will be a net benefit for Tulsa going all out. We're not only out to make an impression on Tesla, but we have the nation's site selection industry's eyes on us and I think this could really be a game changer to getting more job expansions/relocations to Tulsa.

"Meanwhile, just being a finalist for Tesla’s factory has already given Tulsa and the rest of Oklahoma more credibility with other companies, Kouplen said. His office is currently working on at least 115 economic development opportunities across the state, with many of the companies giving the state a serious look as a direct result of Tesla’s interest, he said.”
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:47:37 am by LandArchPoke » Logged
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2020, 02:33:39 pm »

Had a buddy text me and say his boss heard on the news that Tulsa got it. Can't find confirmation though.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2020, 02:49:24 pm »

Tesla delivers their cars by truck to cut down on time to the customer, and because they don't have the traditional dealer network and brick and mortar store with a few dozen cars on the lot. Shipping by rail, the rail car with your car on it may go from Fremont, to LA, to El Paso, Dallas, OKC and Tulsa depending on the routes and trains used and could take two to four weeks. If they have eight cars going to Oklahoma they can load in Fremont and be in OKC and Tulsa in about seven days. I asked a transport driver for Tesla, and a rep at a Tesla store.

Tesla produces ~7000 cars per week, Ford builds that many every two days.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2020, 02:58:07 pm »

It doesn't, the site they picked out in Austin doesn't either. I was wrong on that end, Tesla is always a bit out of the box so guess they aren't as concerned about rail access. Maybe they feel like once the Semi is in production they'll just do shipping that way instead of via rail? Who knows.

I think this site is owned by one of the Waltons - they own the land to the north of 412 as well and several 100 acres to the south too. I think at one point almost 2 decades ago they had looked into building a NASCAR stadium on that site but nothing materialized on that and it's just been ranch land since.

Even if Austin is picked this will be a net benefit for Tulsa going all out. We're not only out to make an impression on Tesla, but we have the nation's site selection industry's eyes on us and I think this could really be a game changer to getting more job expansions/relocations to Tulsa.

"Meanwhile, just being a finalist for Tesla’s factory has already given Tulsa and the rest of Oklahoma more credibility with other companies, Kouplen said. His office is currently working on at least 115 economic development opportunities across the state, with many of the companies giving the state a serious look as a direct result of Tesla’s interest, he said.”

This would be a great spot for the semi to be built if we don't get the cybertruck factory.  

That's interesting about the Walton's.  I've wondered if there were ways we could increase ties to NW Arkansas specifically UofA along the 412 corridor.  When I've been over there they definitely seem more connected to Tulsa than they do Little Rock or the rest of Arkansas.

Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2020, 05:18:19 pm »

Had a buddy text me and say his boss heard on the news that Tulsa got it. Can't find confirmation though.

If it was announced on the news it would be everywhere. Does your friend's boss have inside knowledge of the deal?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org