A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:40:05 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla's Big F***ing Field  (Read 104608 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 01:38:47 pm »

If the censor-bot munges this URL then make an educated guess:

https://www.bigfuckingfield.com/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2020, 08:17:28 am »

I know some don’t like the face but I personally think it’s pretty creative.  How long will this stay up there, until they make a final decision?

https://ktul.com/news/local/golden-driller-transformed-into-elon-musk

Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2020, 08:26:39 am »

There was a rumor on Reddit that Elon was going to be in Tulsa today to meet with the mayor. Most likely nothing more than a baseless rumor and someone trying to stir up excitement, but i'll keep my hopes high on the off chance that it's true 🤣
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2020, 08:45:07 am »

lol, the face may be where I draw the line. Now we are groveling at the feet of Elon.

I wouldn't doubt he would pay a visit to acknowledge the recognition and let us down easy. Probably just a rumor that he is visiting today though.

Now how can we shift this energy into attracting more likely corporate entities to Tulsa/OK?
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 09:13:13 am »

lol, the face may be where I draw the line. Now we are groveling at the feet of Elon.

I wouldn't doubt he would pay a visit to acknowledge the recognition and let us down easy. Probably just a rumor that he is visiting today though.

Now how can we shift this energy into attracting more likely corporate entities to Tulsa/OK?

Like most, I anticipate Tulsa is being used to get more bene's from Austin/TX.  That said, this will not be Tesla's last factory/facility that they construct, so if we are really #2 and the HQ goes to DFW, then we should also have a good shot at future facility.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2020, 09:42:54 am »

Like most, I anticipate Tulsa is being used to get more bene's from Austin/TX.  That said, this will not be Tesla's last factory/facility that they construct, so if we are really #2 and the HQ goes to DFW, then we should also have a good shot at future facility.

That would be pretty cool to see TX/OK as a major electric car manufacturing and R&D hub.  Similar to how the upper midwest was to car and auto parts manufacturers 50 years ago

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 09:54:26 pm »

That would be pretty cool to see TX/OK as a major electric car manufacturing and R&D hub.  Similar to how the upper midwest was to car and auto parts manufacturers 50 years ago

Would be ironic.   Electric car manufacturing in one state that abhors the concept!

Kind of like Okemah and northeast Oklahoma paying homage to Woody Guthrie!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2020, 12:40:07 pm »

The face is pretty grotesque...

Isnt it still illegal in Oklahoma to buy a Tesla directly thru the company?  That sure isnt in our favor.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2020, 02:13:59 pm »

Yes. But also true in Texas and probably not too relevant to whether either city has the capacity/workforce/incentives for a large manufacturing facility.

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/why-its-hard-to-buy-a-tesla-in-texas/
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2020, 08:30:13 pm »

The face is pretty grotesque...

Isnt it still illegal in Oklahoma to buy a Tesla directly thru the company?  That sure isnt in our favor.

You know that will be one of the first things discussed and agreed to.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2020, 05:57:23 pm »

If Telsa were to commit to Oklahoma, you know the legislature would make the necessary changes to allow customers to buy direct from the factory.   I've never seen a situation in which Oklahoma didn't act to make changes to accommodate economic development.

Wouldn't rule out Tulsa acquiring the Telsa facillty.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2020, 08:41:47 pm »

In a dystopian bid to lure Tesla’s Cybertruck Gigafactory to Tulsa, the Oklahoma state monument—a seven-story, 22-ton statue of an oil worker called The Golden Driller—has been redesigned as an effigy of Elon Musk. The likeness of X Ć A-12’s multibillionaire father, now called The Driller ‘Golden Elon,’ is one of the largest free-standing statues in the U.S.

“Tulsa is a city that doesn’t stifle entrepreneurs - we revere them!” Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum wrote on Facebook, prompting an onslaught of enraged replies. “Golden @elonmusk is now the 6th-tallest statue in the United States. #TulsaforTesla @Tesla.”

The gargantuan statue, unveiled earlier this week at a community event and on Bynum’s social media, now features a red Tesla logo painted on its chest. The Driller’s 48-foot belt, which once read “TULSA,” was changed to read “TESLA.” If you squint, the statue’s head now looks like a low-budget YouTube cartoon of Musk. “I was told onsite it was an ‘Elon Musk Face Skin,’” one worker wrote on Facebook. “It went on like a fruit roll-up.”

“It’s this weird, ghostly, white mask-like thing,” said Lucas Wrench, a 28-year-old Tulsa Artist Fellow, who runs an arts space called OK #1. “It sort of looks like if you FaceSwapped with some creature. I just couldn’t believe it. I’m shocked at how transparent it is—the kind of a symbol they created in putting this enormous billionaire, literally a giant towering billionaire in Tulsa—the lack of self-awareness. They’re groveling.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/this-giant-monument-to-tesla-billionaire-elon-musk-has-tulsa-residents-furious

The move is so absurd that one hardly knows how to react, but turning a representation of a worker (even though it was originally built by an oil company in the 50s) into an effigy of a union-busting factory owner coercing people to return to the line during a pandemic is probably not a good look.
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/dyz8mw/tulsa-oklahoma-unveiled-a-7-story-tall-statue-of-elon-musk

The statue in question is the Golden Driller, a 43,500 pound likeness of an oil worker — the irony doesn’t escape us
https://futurism.com/the-byte/7-story-statue-elon-musk-looks-absolutely-terrible

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 12:10:06 pm by patric » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2020, 11:37:12 am »

Tulsa IMO has a very good chance of securing the Telsa Plant.

If Telsa were going to Texas, you bet they would have already selected Austin.   Texas isn't going to give any more incentives to lure Telsa and they know it.  They are playing this game to see what they can get from Oklahoma.  They know Oklahoma's track record on tax incentives thru the old Oklahoma City GM plant debacle.

If we were to get this plant; it will be great for all of Oklahoma particularly the Tulsa, Muskogee and Bartlesville (Northeast Quadrant) would reap the benefits of employment and support from this huge mega plant.

Let's not forget; Tulsa is on a barge canal transportation system Ports of Catoosa/Muskogee, an extra alternative that Austin doesn't have.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:39:11 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2020, 03:23:11 pm »

I don’t know how much, if any, the port plays into this but it certainly doesn’t hurt and it is something they don’t have in Austin/central TX.  Rail and highway access seem like they would be more important.  So that begs the question if Tulsa did land a plant where would it go?  Assuming the Navistar plant is off the table.. Wink

Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2020, 06:14:45 pm »

I don’t know how much, if any, the port plays into this but it certainly doesn’t hurt and it is something they don’t have in Austin/central TX.  Rail and highway access seem like they would be more important.  So that begs the question if Tulsa did land a plant where would it go?  Assuming the Navistar plant is off the table.. Wink

Isn't GKFF giving away free land in the peoria mohawk industrial park? That's probably an option.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org