A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:53:46 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla's Big F***ing Field  (Read 104578 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: May 10, 2020, 06:39:14 pm »

Hey, Elon Musk, There's a "Big F***ing Field" in Tulsa for Tesla's Cybertruck Factory
A cheeky website is begging Tesla to bring its Cybertruck production to Oklahoma.

"Hey Elon, we hear you need a big f*cking field. We've got just the place for your Cybertruck Gigafactory. It's in Tulsa." Pardon the language, but that statement headlines a new website www.bigf***ingfield.com, that apparently exists as a bid to get Tesla to situate its newly announced Cybertruck electric pickup-truck factory in Tusla, Oklahoma. Tesla CEO Elon Musk recently tweeted that the automaker was looking to plop its new Cybertruck Gigafactory someplace in the "central USA," and places don't come more centralized in America than Oklahoma, we suppose.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-factory-website-tulsa-big-effing-field-campaign/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 07:11:02 pm »

And don't get much more stupid when trying to attract big business.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 07:25:14 pm »

Hey, Elon Musk, There's a "Big F***ing Field" in Tulsa for Tesla's Cybertruck Factory
A cheeky website is begging Tesla to bring its Cybertruck production to Oklahoma.

"Hey Elon, we hear you need a big f*cking field. We've got just the place for your Cybertruck Gigafactory. It's in Tulsa." Pardon the language, but that statement headlines a new website www.bigf***ingfield.com, that apparently exists as a bid to get Tesla to situate its newly announced Cybertruck electric pickup-truck factory in Tusla, Oklahoma. Tesla CEO Elon Musk recently tweeted that the automaker was looking to plop its new Cybertruck Gigafactory someplace in the "central USA," and places don't come more centralized in America than Oklahoma, we suppose.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-factory-website-tulsa-big-effing-field-campaign/

That's pretty f***ing funny
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:00:39 pm »

With his sense of humor I think he'd love it. Just have to hope he comes across the page  Tongue
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 08:03:25 am »

I was listening to KRMG this morning and they had Gov Stitt on talking about several things. He mentioned that he was on the phone with Tesla yesterday. I would assume that was just the state reaching out to guage interest and give their pitch, but perhaps it could lead to more serious discussions.

Tesla did say they're looking for a location in the central region of the country to produce cybertrucks. Give them the big fu**ing field....
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 01:30:42 pm »

There is a similar discussion about Telsa Service Center in Oklahoma City on OKCTalk.com Forum:  https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43547&page=2&highlight=telsa

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 03:19:02 pm »

CNBC just reported Tesla is considering 2 locations in Tulsa and that the site for a new factory is down to Austin and Tulsa.

Kick Navistar out if they can't maintain the building. That site is about 50% the size of the Fremont plant and they could occupy it almost immediately. Wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the site. As shitty as Navistar has been considering the lease is for $1, get ride of them. Telsa would probably expand that building and would employee twice as many people with higher wages. The Fremont plant employs 10,000. There's not many locations in the US with direct rail access and direct runway access less than 5 miles from an ice free port. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 03:20:16 pm »

Yep down to Tulsa and Austin

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology/2020/05/15/report-tesla-to-build-factory-in-austin-and-produce-model-y-vehicles-by-end-of-2020/

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 03:48:52 pm »

Tesla in Tulsa?
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 04:10:09 pm »

CNBC just reported Tesla is considering 2 locations in Tulsa and that the site for a new factory is down to Austin and Tulsa.

Kick Navistar out if they can't maintain the building. That site is about 50% the size of the Fremont plant and they could occupy it almost immediately. Wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the site. As shitty as Navistar has been considering the lease is for $1, get ride of them. Telsa would probably expand that building and would employee twice as many people with higher wages. The Fremont plant employs 10,000. There's not many locations in the US with direct rail access and direct runway access less than 5 miles from an ice free port.  

I thought the same thing. When the article came out about Navistar my first thought was that there was no way Bynum and the City would risk losing 1600 jobs without trying to negotiate terms. Basically it came off as an unnecessarily aggressive move by the city to me.

In my mind that told me that they had another potential tenant lined up and were looking to use that as leverage against navistar, or intend to kick navistar out to replace them with another tenant. That announcement just so happened to come out the same time as Tesla's announcement to expand into the center of the country, which I don't think is a coincidence.

So Tesla was shown two sites in Tulsa. Perhaps the Navistar site is option #1 if they don't come to terms and then a backup site if Navistar complies with city demands.

Just speculation. Would be fantastic for Tesla to set up shop here though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:11:48 pm by Rattle Trap » Logged
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 04:12:09 pm »

The Fremont factory employs 10,000 people.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 04:52:15 pm »

I thought the same thing. When the article came out about Navistar my first thought was that there was no way Bynum and the City would risk losing 1600 jobs without trying to negotiate terms. Basically it came off as an unnecessarily aggressive move by the city to me.

In my mind that told me that they had another potential tenant lined up and were looking to use that as leverage against navistar, or intend to kick navistar out to replace them with another tenant. That announcement just so happened to come out the same time as Tesla's announcement to expand into the center of the country, which I don't think is a coincidence.

So Tesla was shown two sites in Tulsa. Perhaps the Navistar site is option #1 if they don't come to terms and then a backup site if Navistar complies with city demands.

Just speculation. Would be fantastic for Tesla to set up shop here though.

To me Navistar seems to be the one getting aggressive with the city, not the other way around. Who goes out and gets a PR firm to slander the mayor when you are getting such a sweetheart deal? I wouldn't be sorry to see them thrown to the curb. Would love to see where they go to get a better deal.

I don't think Telsa would take that ratty old building though. They will need a larger facility with better access even if it is smaller than one of their giga factories or whatever they are calling them now. I wonder if they can get a large lot in the port of Catoosa industrial park.

Beating out Austin will be a tough feat though. The things working in our favor are obviously the fact that land and labor is cheaper up here, but obviously Austin is Austin and the work force is probably much easier to come by among other things. It kind of seems like a false choice to me, like Tulsa is in the mix just so they can get a better deal from Austin.

Tesla's leadership leaves a lot to be desired right now anyway. Musk seems to lose his mind every now and then. Seems like another unstable situation that Tulsa would be at the mercy of. First the oil companies, then AA, then this? Wish we could get a boring business like an insurance company to move it's HQ here.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 05:25:25 pm »

Tesla in Tulsa?

DETROIT (AP) — Tesla has picked Austin, Texas, and Tulsa, Oklahoma, as finalists for its new U.S. assembly plant, a person briefed on the matter said Friday.

The person says company officials visited Tulsa in the past week and were shown two sites.
It wasn’t clear if there were any other finalists in the mix. the person didn’t want to be identified because the site selection process is secret.

The electric car maker has said it wants the factory to be in the center of the country and closer to East Coast markets.

The stakes are high for state and local governments. Tesla has said the plant will be larger than its factory in Fremont, California, which employs 10,000 workers.

Companies typically play finalists against each other in order to get the best package of tax breaks and other incentives.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/tesla-picks-tulsa-austin-as-finalists-for-new-u-s-factory/article_812dda5f-75f2-5493-aca9-6463f8efe17d.html

Wait for it...

Tesla’s next factory is going to be in Austin, Texas and it’s going to happen quickly
https://electrek.co/2020/05/15/tesla-factory-austin-texas/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 05:41:43 pm »

To me Navistar seems to be the one getting aggressive with the city, not the other way around. Who goes out and gets a PR firm to slander the mayor when you are getting such a sweetheart deal? I wouldn't be sorry to see them thrown to the curb. Would love to see where they go to get a better deal.

I don't think Telsa would take that ratty old building though. They will need a larger facility with better access even if it is smaller than one of their giga factories or whatever they are calling them now. I wonder if they can get a large lot in the port of Catoosa industrial park.

Beating out Austin will be a tough feat though. The things working in our favor are obviously the fact that land and labor is cheaper up here, but obviously Austin is Austin and the work force is probably much easier to come by among other things. It kind of seems like a false choice to me, like Tulsa is in the mix just so they can get a better deal from Austin.

Tesla's leadership leaves a lot to be desired right now anyway. Musk seems to lose his mind every now and then. Seems like another unstable situation that Tulsa would be at the mercy of. First the oil companies, then AA, then this? Wish we could get a boring business like an insurance company to move it's HQ here.

Tesla would definitely need to renovate the building but in terms of his beef with Alameda County right now that would give him an option to shift some product out of California almost immediately and then improve/expand the building over time.

Navistar is trying to bully the city into paying for the deferred maintenance by hiring the PR firms and scaring employees. Navistar is notorious for these antics. All about the bottom line, you have a city renting you a million square foot building for $1 and they think they can get them to pay for the upkeep too... I don't know what else they think they deserve from taxpayers.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Telsa move it's HQ to Austin and build factories in Tulsa and Austin and slowly close the Fremont plant.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 05:57:13 pm »

Maybe Austin can get the HQ or R&D and Tulsa gets the plant, win win for TX and OK.  Tulsa has the better workforce for these advanced manufacturing jobs, especially with the oil and gas and possibly aerospace industries laying off workers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org