A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:14:29 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Rice v Jim Inhofe  (Read 19283 times)
waterboy
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2008, 09:00:42 am »

This link may explain Inhofe's recent "Rice the Punk" ads.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Senate/Graphs/oklahoma.html

About the time the financial crisis was dominating and the debates were on, Rice took a steep gain in support while Inhofe took a steep dive. The ads blunted that momentum. Given enough time Rice could have made it close.

Did Inhofe vote on the Senate bail-out bill?
joiei
City Father

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 04:52:12 pm »

Inhof defends the Global Warming comments,  "I think I was right"

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 07:56:24 pm »

Rice is catching up quick, but he needs more fast. Rice will probably get ten percentage points more than Obama, but still lose.

This state is deep red and for a democrat to win a federal seat will take a miracle.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 09:37:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

About the time the financial crisis was dominating and the debates were on, Rice took a steep gain in support while Inhofe took a steep dive. The ads blunted that momentum. Given enough time Rice could have made it close.

Do you really think ads affect votes that much these days?  With all the different news outlets available with cable and the internet vs. 24  years ago when I voted in my first Presidential election, I find I pay less and less attention to the ads.  When I do, they generally turn me off, whether it's a GOP or Dem ad.  I figure it's the worst cobbling of facts to make a point in 30 seconds and appeals to the lowest common denominator.

I probably allow more time for political information in my life than the average person, so I do take a fair time to watch and read the news and listen to the liberal and conservative pundits.

Honestly, McCain can pour as much money into advertising as he wants the next four weeks, after his performance at the "town hall" the other night, I think he's done.  He physically didn't look well because he is so stiff (he forgot that they hid FDR's wheel chair for 12 years) and everyone expected him to assail Obama.  I think people are beginning to think he's pursuing this with the same vigor as President Bush in 1992, which wasn't much.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
waterboy
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 08:02:53 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

Do you really think ads affect votes that much these days?  With all the different news outlets available with cable and the internet vs. 24  years ago when I voted in my first Presidential election, I find I pay less and less attention to the ads.  When I do, they generally turn me off, whether it's a GOP or Dem ad.  I figure it's the worst cobbling of facts to make a point in 30 seconds and appeals to the lowest common denominator.

I probably allow more time for political information in my life than the average person, so I do take a fair time to watch and read the news and listen to the liberal and conservative pundits.

Honestly, McCain can pour as much money into advertising as he wants the next four weeks, after his performance at the "town hall" the other night, I think he's done.  He physically didn't look well because he is so stiff (he forgot that they hid FDR's wheel chair for 12 years) and everyone expected him to assail Obama.  I think people are beginning to think he's pursuing this with the same vigor as President Bush in 1992, which wasn't much.

I tire of advertising as well and find it has little overt effect on my decisionmaking. I watch it in an analytical way to see if I can determine what they're trying to do and how. That said, are we representative? Considering that sports advertising continues to increase in cost, I doubt it.

McCain wanted that town hall style debate to showcase his ability to connect and show he is spry. Seems like it was a mistake. I thought he looked stiff and contrived. Not just his physical limitations but more his being ill at ease and angry.

He kept getting up close to people like he was leading a motivational seminar or informercial. Something tells me he is not listening much to his handlers. He had such a great image of honor, service, career and seemed to want to go outside of it. Meanwhile Obama appeared a little mystified at McCain's behavior. He's obviously a more intelligent man and even though not so comfortable in a town hall setup, he adjusted well.

I don't think McCain realizes the damage the debates have done to him by being contrasted with a laid back opponent who still has the capability to land defensive blows if necessary. That contrast transcended the issues. To get back to the thread, it was the same contrast between Rice and Inhofe that transcended anything they had to say. Inhofe looked comfortable, secure and willing to engage a young man for whom he professed respect but profound disagreement.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 11:07:33 am »

Inhofe clearly listened to his handlers.  He was very safe and sounded almost sane.  I think his campaign is holding to their brand (while toning it down a bit) and hoping for the best, while bombarding the empty-headed masses with the punk kid image of Rice in their adds. Andrew Rice did a good job, but really needed to have a strong showing to get much movement.
Watching the presidential debate after watching those two was like going from a T-ball game to the world series.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:08:51 am by jne » Logged

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2020, 12:05:20 pm »

Old thread, but I hate starting new.  Plus, this is an opportunity to review a little history.  Inhofe was a joke then.  Nothing changed.

There are legitimate reasons for people to buy and sell stock - I have been thinking seriously about buying some right now while they are low.   But I also didn't get a confidential briefing on covid19 that might affect the price of stocks sometime AFTER I learned about it!

Inhofe still doing his criminal acts.   Of course.  Senator James Inhofe, an Oklahoma Republican, sold stock after coronavirus briefings, according to financial records.

One of the Senators is married to the President of the New York Stock Exchange.

And Burr?  Well, it's obvious.

The only one who sold but likely was not trying to avoid upcoming losses was Feinstein - and it was her husband who sold the stock.  In fact, it would appear that they may have been trying to avoid future gains, since it was a cancer research biotech company they sold!  At near an all time low for the stock.  All other things being equal, this stock is  one might reasonably expect to benefit from a health crisis.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/us-senators-sold-stock-after-coronavirus-briefings-in-january/ar-BB11rJg6?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 01:25:46 pm »

I'm considering voting for Inhofe based on his proven ability to fly an airplane in a campaign ad. (And let's just ignore that incident involving landing on a closed runway. It says NOTHING about his judgement. Nothing. Move along. Move along.)

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org