A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:54:06 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life Imitates Art  (Read 12732 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: March 17, 2020, 07:10:03 pm »

In the 2011 film "Contagion" the anti-science blogger played by Jude Law faked illness to boost sales of a bogus cure to a raging pandemic.

In the real world, who would be stupid (or perverse) enough to try that, and who would be stupid enough to fall for it?

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones ordered to stop peddling phony coronavirus cures
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/13/infowars-alex-jones-stop-selling-fake-coronavirus-cures/5044309002/

On a broadcast of the Jim Bakker Show that aired Wednesday from the televangelist and condo developer's Morningside complex near Branson, Bakker and a show guest discussed a "silver sol" product that, the show guest claimed, can "eliminate" the coronavirus from the human body "within 12 hours."
https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2020/02/13/coronavirus-jim-bakker-show-guest-product-claims-virus-cure/4747622002/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:12:11 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 12:25:17 pm »

Coronavirus: US man dies after taking drug touted by Trump
https://www.bbc.com/news/52012242

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 06:48:11 pm »

Grimes: [smugly, speaking of the President of the United States] The boss'll be pleased to know that he made the right decision in the first place.

Dr. Ruth Leavitt: [harsh with sarcasm] Congratulate him on his scientific insight.

-- Andromeda Strain

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 05:19:51 pm »

In George Orwell's "Nineteen eighty-four" the Ministry of Truth revises historical documents to favor the ruling party.
Here's how close we've come to that today:

Trump administration edits national stockpile website a day after it contradicted Jared Kushner
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/politics/stockpile-website-edited-kushner-claim/index.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 01:26:35 pm »

In George Orwell's "Nineteen eighty-four" the Ministry of Truth revises historical documents to favor the ruling party.
Here's how close we've come to that today:

Trump administration edits national stockpile website a day after it contradicted Jared Kushner
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/politics/stockpile-website-edited-kushner-claim/index.html

When Trump's mouth is open (most of the time), and noise spewing forth, it is a lie.  Always.

Even when the truth would serve him better!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 11:46:26 am »

I don't know about you, but I think we're blessed to have Jared Kushner, diplomat, epidemiologist, bare knuckled businessman, astrophysicist, and unique genius.

Now where are my meds?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 01:54:47 pm »

Coronavirus: US man dies after taking drug touted by Trump
https://www.bbc.com/news/52012242

Stupid is as stupid does.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 11:47:05 am »

Stupid is as stupid does.

Otherwise known as Trump Minion....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 10:52:46 am »

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 01:35:18 am »

Grimes: [smugly, speaking of the President of the United States] The boss'll be pleased to know that he made the right decision in the first place.

Dr. Ruth Leavitt: [harsh with sarcasm] Congratulate him on his scientific insight.

-- Andromeda Strain

Nice cherry picking. You chose two sentences that are part of a sub plot from a movie based on a book. I've read Micheal Crichton's book "The Andromeda Strain" several times, and I have watched the movie more times than I can remember, and you have taken two lines so far out of context. There is so much more to that sub plot that you just ignore completely to fit your narrative.  

Dr. Stone and the team were operating under the assumption that a nuclear bomb was dropped on Piedmont after they got Scoop back to Wildfire. The president in the book and the movie was hesitant about exploding a nuclear device and didn't do so. Stone discovered after finding out about a communications error that the bomb had not been dropped to rid Andromeda and pushed for the nuclear bomb to be dropped. It was later discovered that a nuclear bomb would create a supper colony of Andromeda and create a huge growth medium for it. This is when Dr Stone contacts Washington DC and explains that they should not drop the bomb because of what would happen.  That's when the comment made by the communications person Grimes said "The Boss will be happy to know he was right" referring to the fact that he didn't want to explode a nuclear device and Dr Leavitt makes the comment about the presidents scientific insight. It's also when they realize that the nuclear self destruct device at Wildfire needs to be deactivated to prevent a spread of Andromeda.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:18:23 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org