A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:07:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zink Dam Rehabilitation Project  (Read 29466 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2023, 10:25:07 am »

That's disappointing for a bridge that is ~75% done in mid march of 2023. I know there are lots of details for the landing and the white water course to complete, but they can't even shoot for this fall? Every part of the Gathering Place is super nice, but I always have felt that it's just a bit overkill in execution for what they are really doing. Like they could have spent $100 million less and we probably would have hardly noticed. At the end of the day we just want a nice park and a nice bridge. Some of the ammenities are worth going all out on such as the lodge building, playground and the water course, but would anyone have noticed if some of the random painstakingly developed landscaped areas weren't there? Just my thoughts. I worry they are going to spend another year and millions extra on a fancy plaza that just needs to be a nice plaza.

Most of what drove up the cost of Gathering Place was buying mature trees. Most of what they did do overkill in terms of the other plantings, etc. isn't as expensive as you'd think. The Riverside tunnels and things like that were very expensive as well. The grasses, shrubs, flowers, etc. you're spending less than $20-50 a plant. The mature trees can easily be well over $25-50k a tree or more, not including transit and replanting costs.

Mature trees do make a huge difference, just look at Scissortail in OKC. It will take 10 years for that park to have any decent amount of shade. Those size of trees run more in the $1-2k a tree
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2023, 11:02:43 am »

The Riverside tunnels and things like that were very expensive as well. The grasses, shrubs, flowers, etc. you're spending less than $20-50 a plant. The mature trees can easily be well over $25-50k a tree or more, not including transit and replanting costs.
Mature trees do make a huge difference, just look at Scissortail in OKC. It will take 10 years for that park to have any decent amount of shade. Those size of trees run more in the $1-2k a tree

As an initial skeptic of the GP I have to say the tunnels are a huge plus in terms of eco-awareness and as an iconic visitor draw.  Their lighting system, although not perfect, was well thought out in terms of optical design (color, intensity, aiming)...  much, much more so than the reckless streetlight conversion by PSO.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:04:38 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2023, 10:15:38 am »

A good portion of the east bank coffer dam was recently removed

Anyone know the purpose of the small coffer dam that's still in place north of the bridge on the west bank?

brettakins
Activist

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2024, 09:30:36 pm »

https://www.newson6.com/story/65bb6afb31eb757d4c0ffefa/tulsa-makes-plan-to-open-zink-lake-recreational-area-on-labor-day-weekend

The City of Tulsa is announcing new plans regarding the Zink Lake recreational attraction along the Arkansas River next to Gathering Place.

This area has been under development for years, with the city even tearing down the old pedestrian bridge as part of the project. The work being done is to build a two and a half mile recreational area.

The City of Tulsa is now announcing it will be open to the public Labor Day weekend this year.

Zink Lake is a $48 million project that was approved by voters in Tulsa.

The area will feature activities like kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, pedal boats, and a 1,000 foot whitewater area on the east bank of the river.

The city said it expects rentals to be available at the same time as the Zink Lake opening during Labor Day weekend.

Concessions will also be available, along with boat ramps where people can bring their own non-motorized watercraft, like kayaks and canoes if they have them.

Swimming will not be allowed, but there will be walkways for people who want to get close to the water.

The city understands people might have a lot of questions about this. So it is holding a public meeting in February, where the public can learn more about the initial plans.
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2024, 07:01:40 pm »

https://www.fox23.com/news/zink-lake-filling-up-for-labor-day-opening/article_ed54ea2e-db3d-11ee-9416-8f028f5b4e2e.html

TULSA, Okla. - It's been years in the making, now water is beginning to flow into Zink Lake. The new water attraction on the Arkansas River across from the Gathering Place is set to open Labor Day weekend.

Water levels are rising as the 10-foot dam gates are opened.  The amount of water in the lake will vary as the city's contractor performs a series of tests before they are able to start running water through the flume.   

The lake and Williams Crossing, the new pedestrian bridge, will remain closed to the public prior to opening weekend while the City works to fine-tune the flume and its procedures.

While certain recreational activities will be allowed in the lake when it opens, no recreational activities will be allowed before Labor Day Weekend 2024.

On-site signage is being placed at various River Parks locations notifying the public of the Zink Lake closure while informing residents of how to get more information on the project.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2024, 09:32:31 am »

^ The positioning on those drone shots is spot on. Very cool.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
smitteebc
Citizen

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2024, 08:44:20 am »

I can't help but feeling disappointed in the finish product of the pedestrian bridge. I'm sure there is some painting and touch up that is still to be done, but I feel like this was a missed opportunity for something spectacular. The new lake and dam look fantastic however.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2024, 09:15:15 am »

Yeah, it's pretty basic. Not an improvement over what was there before. The flume will be kind of cool if it can ever actually be used with any regularity, but otherwise it feels like we basically demolished and built back a lesser version of what we already had. I am worried that the flume will turn out like the boathouse at gathering place in that it was supposed to be this big attraction but for various reasons it is never used.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2024, 11:25:54 am »

Count me as one who really likes the new bridge and how it ties into the style of the Avery Bridge and 23rd St Bridge.  I've seen them testing the night lighting and it looks really good.  This is from a couple months ago:

Wish they could do something similar with the 23rd St Bridge, add lighting to the arches and new streetlights on top.  

I think a future 41st St Bridge could be an opportunity to create something unique but that is likely decades from happening.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 11:30:13 am by SXSW » Logged

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2024, 12:43:09 pm »

I think the lighting will make the bridge look really nice, especially from the Gathering Place. I hope funding eventually comes through to make the bridge itself more useful, especially shading, but that can wait. The aeshetics of water which I assume will be year around will be a game changer. Photos from that vantage will be so much better. River Parks will be so much more interesting. Octoberfest will impress visitors just by seeing the water. I'm happy this happened. I know there is some concern about water quality, but all reports are that it's been part of the plan all along, and I assume there might be days that they say to not use the lake if there is a problem. I also don't think it's for swimming, more for boats, but I don't know for sure. Just happy to finally have something other than a sand bed abutting downtown and River Parks.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2024, 01:32:23 pm »

It's cool, but guarantee that lighting won't last more than a few months at most. Every bridge/structure I've seen that features lighting has constant problems with maintaining said lighting.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2024, 02:10:45 pm »

JMO, I think giving the 23rd street bridge lighting like that used on the Mill Ave Bridge over Tempe Town Lake would look good.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 02:14:25 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2024, 03:25:57 pm »

JMO, I think giving the 23rd street bridge lighting like that used on the Mill Ave Bridge over Tempe Town Lake would look good.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/IausAtWOrKBznebvl-kxCgpehuONLrouhrNsrnGMnNGUq40TyL6fCx6O7ugxgnV3esoQfqhuYi_Pi9_sNnKfrYg39n2mFIvktg_wIM2A_xCjYS9y8CTg9zFJ3sTtG5AP04

Could the city at least PAINT that bridge?

And decide once and for all if it is the 21st or 23rd street bridge....
Tulsadude
Citizen

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2024, 05:04:40 pm »

Depends on which side of Arkansas River you are in. If you are east of the river the street is 21st. If you are west of the river the street is 23rd.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2024, 06:00:24 pm »

That would be a good place to start.  And renaming the bridge after a person would clear that up

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org